pbtom
What's New?

Powerlifting Isn't Just For Boys

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
powerlifting_20120307221003_320_240.JPG

In the weight room at Lehman High School in Hays County, the girls work out right alongside the guys and they're lifting almost as much.

"I started squatting with 145, now I'm at 345," says senior Alexis Pineda.

Powerlifting has been a popular sport at the school for several years. This year, along with two boys, six girls qualified for state.

"We come in completely decked out in pink and ready to lift," said Pineda.

"I think there’s a big misconception. Our girls are very proud of what they lift," said Coach Eric Ray.

The athletes train at least four days a week to build up their strength.

"I just love this sport because I feel strong," said 109-pound Michaela Casillo.

Castillo is the former Miss Teen Kyle, who has a three lift total, which includes dead lift, bench press and squat, of 730 pounds.

"A lot of people, when I tell them I'm a powerlifter, they're like, what? They're taken aback and they don't believe me," said Castillo.

As for the guys on the team, they say the girls make great teammates.

"They're really fun to lift with, I love it. They're good inspiration, keep myself working hard," said Senior Brandon Alford.

Coach Trey Rose adds, "For some of the guys it's motivation because some of the girls can lift almost as much as they can so it motivates them to push themselves because they don't want to say they got outlifted by a girl. But I wouldn't put it past these girls. Women can go out and do anything a man can and this is thought of as a man's sport, but it's not."

The state meet is March 17 in Corpus Christi.

S

shocketi

Sep 23, 2011
Love it! I used to lift in HS as well and was one of only 4 girls in the class but two of them dropped out. We were in it to get strong and the guys completely supported and encouraged us without being creepy about it.

kjake55

kjake55

Jun 11, 2012
I train like a girl...try to keep up! :D

Great post OP.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
My daughter is the only one of my kids who shows any interest in weights and she's only 4. Maybe there is hope for the monsoon legacy.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
POB, thanks for posting. I was, and still am (like we all are) THAT girl lifting right alongside the boys. Feels FANTASTIC.

kov

kov

Feb 6, 2014
Just look at Bev Francis in the beginning

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
I love hearing about any young athletes defying misconceptions, stereotypes, and social bullshit and kicking ass all over the place.

Great post.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Great post.....

I will say, this is the one really good thing I've seen come from crossfit - showing girls that you can lift weights and it's okay.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic