Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dark side of the moon.
    Posts
    2,705
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 770 Times in 476 Posts

    Bicep tendon/humerus pain while benching.

    I've been dealing with a fairly significant amount of pain while benching/OH pressing/(any bicep/back work at all). The pain feels like it starts at the distal end of my outer bicep on my left arm, but shortly after the pain will spread to my biceps brachialis and eventually my whole humerus will throb and force me to quit lifting. This happens on any upper body workout, but especially pressing movements and back/bicep work. I took an entire week off and thought it had subsided, but today, my first day back in the gym in 8 days, it started hurting after my first working set on incline BB bench. I got through a couple of sets at 305 and had to quit and go home like a pussy. I don't have to explain how frustrating it is to be all amped up to hit the weights hard and then get 15 min in and have to quit. Came home in a terrible mood and would like some input from the brothers and sisters here at TID.



    I'm taking Super Cissus and have been for a couple weeks, so don't recommend it POB (I know you were going to, ).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    [[[-------]]]
    Posts
    5,116
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 565 Times in 450 Posts
    Those things can take a year to go away , I got pissed and took a tun of GH which healed it up in about 5-6 month lol.

    Supper Cissus, ha ha ha!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dark side of the moon.
    Posts
    2,705
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 770 Times in 476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINE View Post
    Those things can take a year to go away , I got pissed and took a tun of GH which healed it up in about 5-6 month lol.

    Supper Cissus, ha ha ha!

    Please tell me you're exaggerating. A freaking year! I'm depressed that it hasn't healed in 8 days! A YEAR!!!! ****!!!! Do you have any idea what the actual issue/injury is?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    [[[-------]]]
    Posts
    5,116
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 565 Times in 450 Posts
    Mine was a mild stress fracture where the tendon ties into the damn bone, curling heavy I heard a creak and a crack! Doc said I was lucky a chunk of bone didn't pull away with the tendon attatched. My lesson was SLIN and Tren in high doses make your muscle grow way to quick for the tendons.
    Only thing I could do is lift light and high reps to maintain. Couldn't do shit for a month , finaly with GH it was good enuff to work out light.

    Are you using any deca at all? or even a low dose mix of deca/eq works to. Also use hcg to cause you get pregnenolone from it which is a powerful antiflammatory steroid as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dark side of the moon.
    Posts
    2,705
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 770 Times in 476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINE View Post
    Mine was a mild stress fracture where the tendon ties into the damn bone, curling heavy I heard a creak and a crack! Doc said I was lucky a chunk of bone didn't pull away with the tendon attatched. My lesson was SLIN and Tren in high doses make your muscle grow way to quick for the tendons.
    Only thing I could do is lift light and high reps to maintain. Couldn't do shit for a month , finaly with GH it was good enuff to work out light.

    Are you using any deca at all? or even a low dose mix of deca/eq works to. Also use hcg to cause you get pregnenolone from it which is a powerful antiflammatory steroid as well.


    Been completely off of everything for something like 2 months now, give or take a week. Back to making natural strength gains and I'm actually stronger on a couple lifts than I ever have been. Will be getting bloodwork done in early December to find out how well I've recovered and if all my markers are normal. Plan on staying off for at least another 4 months, maybe more, but I will be throwing in some peptides and maybe some IGF at some point in the next 2 months. I will probably have an X-ray and MRI done to make sure there is nothing structurally wrong. Thanks for the help SHINE.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    4,269
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 379 Times in 304 Posts
    i agree with shine. the pec attaches to the humerous and it is a common injury to have it tear off (my dad did this benching. the pec then rolls up in your chest). that type of injury takes a significant amount of time to heal. an MRI would be ideal as the xray will only show if you have a fracture or if it is already starting to tear off of the bone. you can probably continue to work through an injury like that if you stay really light so as to not put a lot of stress on the attachment. this is begining to be a big trend in racehorse medicine with attachment injuries. keep working so as to not lose as much condition and cause the body to heal it potentially better and stronger than if you just rest it. you have to stay very light though! essentially finding a weight that you can bench or do that doesnt bother it.

    this might be a good time to try platelet rich plasma injections.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NE Patsland, Bruins country
    Posts
    1,796
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 253 Times in 203 Posts
    Bro- I have no idea how old you are, but as you get older it takes longer. Normally when I get a good injury its 9 months to a year. You just need to find a way to work arund it, by experimenting even with shit you never would normally do, say good by to benching foe a while and until you can do light benching or feel no pain duing rest- then do not attempt to do so. YOu can make progress , just have to take a different approach, machines, nautilus, dumbells and weights with partial movements or with variations of hand or elbow positioning . I been lifting weights for 3 decades and many setbacks, you just need to find variations. Ive gone so far to find gyms with different equipment. Do seek a sports medicine orhtopedic and get a referrall to PT, but dont let them waste your time with the 2 pound weights- use it for ultras sound and deep tissue massage - I actually had the very very same injury and my orthopedic guy had no clue, but he sent me to a really really good PT chick who I know as a trainer and competative bodynuilder from my gym- ( not bad looking either LOL) this corticosteroid called dexemethesone I had toget a script for this and even though it was an injectble - we did not use it that way- I took the bottleto PT and she would saturate the electronic cloth pad with the drug and use electronic waves to get it into my muscles- so the pad was cloth and attatched to the machine - and turned on for 3 sessions per week , in fact she let me borrow the machine- I was healed competely in sex weeks , even the doc had never heard of such a thing but he now sends all his patients there. There are tons of docs and PT people but you need ones that know how to treat bodybuilders


    Plus I would definately listen to shines advice as well. DOnt worry about the bloat like all the noobs will chime in and say- right now your mission is to get back on track.....Hope I didnt confuse you

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dark side of the moon.
    Posts
    2,705
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 770 Times in 476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWay View Post
    i agree with shine. the pec attaches to the humerous and it is a common injury to have it tear off (my dad did this benching. the pec then rolls up in your chest). that type of injury takes a significant amount of time to heal. an MRI would be ideal as the xray will only show if you have a fracture or if it is already starting to tear off of the bone. you can probably continue to work through an injury like that if you stay really light so as to not put a lot of stress on the attachment. this is begining to be a big trend in racehorse medicine with attachment injuries. keep working so as to not lose as much condition and cause the body to heal it potentially better and stronger than if you just rest it. you have to stay very light though! essentially finding a weight that you can bench or do that doesnt bother it.

    this might be a good time to try platelet rich plasma injections.


    My pain is largely at the distal end though (I hope I'm using that term correctly to mean that it is at the end near the elbow, not shoulder). It really doesn't feel like it has anything to do with my pec as much as with my outer bicep head/biceps brachialis. One thing I forgot to mention is that I bring the weight down VERY controlled on all pressing movements and explode after a slight pause at the bottom. The pain is most intense on the way down and during the pause. There is very little pain when I am pressing back up. The pain also will turn into a throbbing annoying pain after my workout for the next 4-5 hours. Hope that helps y'all visualize what's going on.


    Also, could you give me your personal experience with platelet rich plasma injections? I just googled it and have a lot to read through later, but would like your personal opinion on it as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    4,269
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 379 Times in 304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someanddone View Post
    My pain is largely at the distal end though (I hope I'm using that term correctly to mean that it is at the end near the elbow, not shoulder). It really doesn't feel like it has anything to do with my pec as much as with my outer bicep head/biceps brachialis. One thing I forgot to mention is that I bring the weight down VERY controlled on all pressing movements and explode after a slight pause at the bottom. The pain is most intense on the way down and during the pause. There is very little pain when I am pressing back up. The pain also will turn into a throbbing annoying pain after my workout for the next 4-5 hours. Hope that helps y'all visualize what's going on.


    Also, could you give me your personal experience with platelet rich plasma injections? I just googled it and have a lot to read through later, but would like your personal opinion on it as well.



    here is the location of the pec attachment. sometimes you can get pain that shoots down the arm because there is inflammation and damage to the periosteum.

    where on the distal end does it hurt? back, inside or outside or front?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dark side of the moon.
    Posts
    2,705
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 770 Times in 476 Posts
    arm-anatomy3.jpg

    Front and back on the outside of the long head. The entire biceps brachialis hurts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAD; 11-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    4,269
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 379 Times in 304 Posts
    Also, could you give me your personal experience with platelet rich plasma injections? I just googled it and have a lot to read through later, but would like your personal opinion on it as well.

    i have used it several times in horses and there is a ton of research on it in the horse because we see so many tendon and soft tissue injuries. so here is the deal, as with any and all research, it depends on what the person wants to prove as to what the outcome is. there is some great papers out there that say it is the best thing since sliced bread. they have x,y, and z to show how much quicker the horses come back (maybe a few weeks faster) and return to function ect. i have sat in meetings and listened to the best equine vets in the country praise its use. on the other hand, the past year or so there is now starting to be papers written saying that histologically it doesnt do anything. the benefit we have in animals is that we can create identical injuries and inject with or treat or whatever and then give them however much time and then kill them and examine their tissues under the microscope (this cant be done in humans so it is much more subjective in human medicine as it all goes by what the person "thinks" it feels like). so they create two identical lesions and they treat one with PRP and they leave the other one to heal on its own. put the horse down and look at the tissue and "how interesting, they both look the same."

    but with all that being said, i damn sure think it is worth trying. i believe DU said he had had it done and it hurt like a son of a bitch. but aside from the immediate pain, it doesnt hurt to try it, if you know what i mean. i inject the tendon and then tell the owner to turn the horse out for 6 months which is the same amount of time that they would get turned out if i did nothing. every horse i have done has come back and trained and raced but they might have done that anyway. the whole concept of it is interesting. i have a little kit that separates the platelets from the RBCs by taking it through this filter thing. it is meant to do in the field, pretty cool little kit. if you wanted to draw your own blood you could do it yourself and give us the details.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to AllTheWay For This Useful Post:

    SAD

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    the desert
    Posts
    4,269
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 379 Times in 304 Posts


    the biceps attaches to the radius


    the muscles of the forearm originate from the distal humerous.



    and the triceps attach to the distal humerous and the ulna.



    it is all very complex around the distal humerous.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    932
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 129 Times in 81 Posts
    Sad- DU had the platelet injection done on his knee. I'm sure he could give you some great insight. He's a very smart guy and you can be sure he did his homework before undergoing such a thing.

    If I were you, I'd want to stop the speculating and go get an MRI. I had a bicep tendon problem that felt like a chest problem. With everything that attaches in the area it's hard to know 100% what it is. The MRI will tell the tale. If you don't like your orthopedic surgeon's assessment, take your MRI to another doc. Don't let him confiscate your CD with the images on it, that's your property.
    Last edited by fixxer; 11-25-2011 at 04:22 PM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to fixxer For This Useful Post:

    SAD

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    on frozen pond -figure skating
    Posts
    2,282
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 344 Times in 204 Posts
    Well this thread has been real enlightening and all but take it from me SAD I suffer from the same malady.

    Your pec has a bit to do with it (mostly needs to be stretched out) the big player here is your tricep.

    See your bicep and tricep have this lovely little symbiotic relationship, and anytime you want to test this theory do a bicep workout and see how much more difficult it is to press.
    VERY MUCH MORE.
    For me its my left arm, natuarally Im right handed, so my left arms tricep is not as strong.
    What happens (especially when going heavy) is as the tricep becomes overwhelmed the biceps antagonistic contraction will actually compensate and try to lend a helping hand, this is not a normal thing for your bicep to do, you get a dull ache, and curling and backwork you will feel no pain at all.
    To me it feels like the brachioradialis is getting the brunt of it, but honestly it comes from a tricep thats just a bit weeker on one side.
    Try to do more dumbell work, and do more one armed tricep work to try to isolate the weaker side, it does take a bit of time to get it resolved but no longer than 1-3 months for me and I just got over the third one in a months time, it really comes down to learning the exercises that aggravate the area and not doing them every single workout, for me its incline barbell.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ajdos For This Useful Post:


  18. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dark side of the moon.
    Posts
    2,705
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 770 Times in 476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdos View Post
    Well this thread has been real enlightening and all but take it from me SAD I suffer from the same malady.

    Your pec has a bit to do with it (mostly needs to be stretched out) the big player here is your tricep.

    See your bicep and tricep have this lovely little symbiotic relationship, and anytime you want to test this theory do a bicep workout and see how much more difficult it is to press.
    VERY MUCH MORE.
    For me its my left arm, natuarally Im right handed, so my left arms tricep is not as strong.
    What happens (especially when going heavy) is as the tricep becomes overwhelmed the biceps antagonistic contraction will actually compensate and try to lend a helping hand, this is not a normal thing for your bicep to do, you get a dull ache, and curling and backwork you will feel no pain at all.
    To me it feels like the brachioradialis is getting the brunt of it, but honestly it comes from a tricep thats just a bit weeker on one side.
    Try to do more dumbell work, and do more one armed tricep work to try to isolate the weaker side, it does take a bit of time to get it resolved but no longer than 1-3 months for me and I just got over the third one in a months time, it really comes down to learning the exercises that aggravate the area and not doing them every single workout, for me its incline barbell.


    What's really interesting is that I completely abandoned barbell work for chest and shoulders about 5 months ago due to some nagging shoulder issues, so I've been doing dumbbell work for shoulders and chest up until the pain started about a month ago. I had my own theory that the injury was do to recruiting so many little muscles to balance the heavier dumbbells (140s and 150s for incline press, 100s and 110s for OH press) so I decided to go back to using barbells for my heavy working sets. I guess what I'm saying is that the pain started with dumbbells without any barbell work, so I'm not sure that using dumbbells exclusively will alleviate the problem much. I do like the idea of doing individual tricep work and that makes a lot of sense. I am a firm believer in balancing strength on opposing muscle groups and it has helped me with my knee recovery greatly.

    As GetSome and anyone else who did a lot of pitching in their life can tell you, the pitching shoulder will naturally hang a little lower that the non-pitching shoulder and will be much more flexible and loose in the shoulder socket. Because of this, the pitching shoulder tends to do more work when pressing and it is another reason why I think my left arm is injured. It is easy to take my left shoulder out of pressing movements, but because my right shoulder(pitching arm) is not as "locked in" to the socket, it is harder to take it out of the lift. That coincides pretty well with your theory that my tricep is outworking/overworking on one side (left side). Am I making any sense?

    I am going to take a little of this and a little of that from everyone's advice, and I will absolutely get my ortho to do an MRI before deciding anything. Thanks to all of you guys/gals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast