Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Hawkeye's Road to Recovery

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Decided after some encouragement to start a log....I waited a bit just because I was just cleared to resume any type of lifting this week. In mid August, I was training for a full power meet when I suffered a bicep and bicep tendon tear. I was doing the Shieko training method and was deadlifting that day. On that day, I had sets of 650 for 5 sets of 3. On my last set and my last rep, I tore it. Most I have talked to, blamed the volume for the injury. Honestly, I had some previous scar tissue and an injury to the elbow area that I injured. I was using the over and under grip. And the previously injured arm was the "under" arm. I believe what happend, is that arm had trouble straightening out and when I extended to lockout, I tore it. So, I had surgery to repair my tendon and my bicep. Surgery went well and the surgeon was able to reattach the tendon and suture the bicep. I had been on a 5 lb weight restriction since this week. It's been 2 months since surgery. Supposedly it will be another 4 months before I am 100%....we will see.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Sunday, November 5, 2011

Cardio-Elliptical for 20 minutes

Deadlift (Hook Grip)
135 x 20 x 2
225 x 15 x 2
315 x 10 x 2
405 x 5 x 5

Kroc Rows
35 x 25 x 4

Now I know...probably not the smartest thing in the world to go right at the exercise that put me on the shelf, but you can't run from your fears. So screw it. I did modify my grip to the "hook grip". It's a bit different. Somewhat uncomfortable and painful, but we all go through pain. Obviously, I am not following a program yet. Just trying to feel things out. As you can see, the weights are nowhere near where I want them to be. Hoping to do a full power meet in July of 2012. So, I guess today is Day #1. If I can get in tomorrow, I will bench.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
38171041-in.gif

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Right on bro! Train smart but like an animal! I'm in :)

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Seriously glad you are doing this I'M IN!!!

HOLY Shit first day 405 X 5 X 5 LMAO.... I'm amazed!!! Keep it up bro smart but hard like II said!!!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Lil sore...but nothing a little college football and ice can't cure. ;) Have circled the UPA meet in July 2012. Got some other nutty goals but we will see...totalling 2000 raw would be a kick ass goal @ 242. And...ya know...2080 is the world record....just saying. I think the only thing that would keep me from either one of these goals is squats. I think I will have to squat 700-750 raw to do so. In the mean time, it's time to just work on getting stronger day by day.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
BTW..the hook grip is interesting. Supposedly once you figure it out and master it, it's like pulling with straps. Right now, it is uncomfortable as hell and hurts like a bitch. LOL.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
That's what I am talking about buddy. U threw me a curve ball on fb. Lol u are a nut my brother. I am in on this log!!!

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Poppa flat know this yet????

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
BTW..the hook grip is interesting. Supposedly once you figure it out and master it, it's like pulling with straps. Right now, it is uncomfortable as hell and hurts like a bitch. LOL.

I've tried it a couple times and gave up (prematurely I'm sure). Felt like I was going to remove my thumb lol

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011

I've heard this and seen a couple of videos of guys about breaking some thumbs off, I'd be very interested in this. I think that could change things for me, straps for deads are how I roll unless I can figure that grip out. Squats are squats I've never worn a suit yet and my bench has never been great so I know I have room to grow there. School us if you figure out that grip!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
JB, just lying low. I like to "fly under the radar per se" Then when the meet comes, I hopefully blow shit out of the water. Less talk more do....Plus, my wife is a nurse and is trying to make me her patient. Doc actually told me that I need to do weights that were very light and that my buddies would laugh at me. Flat and I talked today. But mainly talked college football. He loves his Cornhuskers. Prob not too happy today. They got upset. OUCH! The hook grip is a fucker at first. It hurts. And is uncomfortable, but it's effective once you get used to it. A hint is to chalk the shit out of your inside of your thumb and the webbing in between your index finger. Gotta start light and just get used to it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic