pbtom
What's New?

Safflower seed compound as anti-estrogenic as Nolvadex

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Safflower seed compound as anti-estrogenic as Nolvadex

The seeds of the safflower – scientific name Carthamus tinctorius – contain a lignan that blocks the effect of estradiol in cells as effectively as Nolvadex does, according to pharmacologists at Seoul National University.

Long-term use of Nolvadex [used to treat breast cancer] increases the risk of ovarian cancer in women. The Koreans are looking for alternatives to Nolvadex in the plant world. In their article they describe how they bought safflower seed in a shop, and isolated various compounds that they then tested for anti-estrogenic effects.

The figure below shows how the Koreans discovered that one of the safflower seed extracts wipes out the effect of estradiol.

The compound that does this is tracheloside, a lignan. The substance itself does nothing to estradiol-sensitive cells. But if you add 2 nanomols estradiol to the cells, then tracheloside reduces the effect of the hormone. The more tracheloside, the less effect the estradiol has, as the figure above shows.

The anti-estrogenic effect of tracheloside is comparable to that of Nolvadex. At a concentration of 0.31 microg/ml, half of the estradiol effect disappears. Nolvadex has the same effect at a concentration of 0.43 microg/ml.

Whether the human body is capable of deactivating estradiol by taking tracheloside, the researchers are not prepared to say. Their doubts are based on what is known about arctiin, a compound related to tracheloside.

Tracheloside is an ingredient in the bodybuilding supplement Arimedex HD. You’d be forgiven for thinking tracheloside is a difficult name. That’s why the manufacturers prefer to call it (3s, 4s)-4-[(3, 4- dimethoxyphenyl)methyl] -3-hydroxy-3-[[3-methoxy-4- [(2s,3r, 4s,5r,6r) -3,4,5-trihydroxy-6-(hydroxymethyl) oxan-2-yl]oxy-phenyl]methyl] oxolan-2-one. Plain old…, you understand.

Source:
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006 Nov; 70(11): 2783-5.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Natural Benefits and Curative Properties of Safflower Seeds

Safflower oil is one of the most polyunsaturated. The medicinal value of linoleic acid came into prominence in the later 1960s following the publication of the findings of researchers in a series of medical and scientific journals. These findings proved that this fatty acid was highly beneficial in lowering serum cholesterol levels in laboratory animals and humans. From virtual obscurity safflower oil became a best*seller within a few years. This is no wonder, with its very high linoleic acid content.

It has also been discovered that linoleic acid promotes and improves availability of calcium to the body's cells, thereby virtually acting as a vitamin. Some scientists refer to it as vitamin F

Heart Disease :- Safflower oil has proved beneficial in lowering blood cholesterol. Hence it can be used liberally by persons suffering from cardio vascular disorders. An emulsion by trade name Saffloxin-cipla is used routinely during myocardial infraction, cardiac ischaemia and hypertension.

Constipation :- One teaspoonful of kernel of the seeds, taken with six shelled almonds and honey has proved highly beneficial in the treatment of constipation. It has been found to be a safe laxative for the young, weak and pregnant women. A very popular Unani laxative medicine called Twarishe Qhurtum is prepared from safflower seeds.

Sexual Debility :- Safflower seeds are highly beneficial in the treatment of sexual debility . For better results, powder of the dry seeds should be mixed with pistachio nuts, honey and almonds. It should be used with milk once before going to bed. It is a very effective aphrodisiac. It improves sexual vigor and thickens semen.

Asthma :- Safflower seeds are highly beneficial in the treatment bronchial asthma. Half a teaspoon of powder of the dry seeds, mixed in a tablespoonful of honey, can be taken once or twice with great benefit in this disease. It acts as an expectorant and reduces the spasms by liquefying the tenacious sputum. Infusion of the flowers mixed with honey is also useful in asthma.

Female Disorders :- A decoction prepared by boiling two teaspoonfuls of powdered seeds in 120 ml. of water is given as a remedy -to cure painful menstruation. Dried flowers mixed with rose are also given as a medicine in this condition. A brew made from safflower foliage is said to prevent abortion and the female sterility.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I compounded all my shit in safflower oil. Maybe that's why I'm 50 and look 12.

S

sartac

May 12, 2012
Anyone look into this lately?

I almost wonder now about whether grape seed or safflower [seed] oil is a better choice for brewing. Here is some grape seed info along the same lines:

Ikuko Kijima, Sheryl Phung, Gene Hur, Sum-Ling Kwok, and Shiuan Chen

Aromatase is the enzyme that converts androgen to estrogen. It is expressed at higher levels in breast cancer tissues than normal breast tissues. Grape seed extract (GSE) contains high levels of procyanidin dimers that have been shown in our laboratory to be potent inhibitors of aromatase. In this study, GSE was found to inhibit aromatase activity in a dose-dependent manner and reduce androgen-dependent tumor growth in an aromatase-transfected MCF-7 (MCF-7aro) breast cancer xenograft model, agreeing with our previous findings.

We have also examined the effect of GSE on aromatase expression. Reverse transcription-PCR experiments showed that treatment with 60 μg/mL of GSE suppressed the levels of exon I.3–, exon PII–, and exon I.6–containing aromatase mRNAs in MCF-7 and SK-BR-3 cells. The levels of exon I.1–containing mRNA, however, did not change with GSE treatment. Transient transfection experiments with luciferase-aromatase promoter I.3/II or I.4 reporter vectors showed the suppression of the promoter activity in a dose-dependent manner. The GSE treatment also led to the down-regulation of two transcription factors, cyclic AMP-responsive element binding protein-1 (CREB-1) and glucocorticoid receptor (GR). CREB-1 and GR are known to up-regulate aromatase gene expression through promoters I.3/II and I.4, respectively. We believe that these results are exciting in that they show GSE to be potentially useful in the prevention/treatment of hormone-dependent breast cancer through the inhibition of aromatase activity as well as its expression. (Cancer Res 2006; 66(11): 5960-7)

At the same rate, there are very promising [rat] studies about cerebral, cardial, and renal (kidney) protective effects of safflower oil injection... Basically, they intentionally block the blood flow to organs and measure damage vs control. Likely more studies available, that was a quick search (term "Carthamus tinctorius injection").

A different type of study tested rat hearts in isolation to arrive at the following conclusion:
As compared with the control, SI [safflower inj] showed the effects of improving functions of cardiac contraction and dilation, increasing coronary blood flow, and strengthening the bcl-2 protein expression. {PMID 15199632}
An example of a setup similar to the one used in this heart study is attached.

Attachments

• F2.large.jpg
    F2.large.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 137
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic