Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Fitness for the noncompetitive female

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
one of the most common questions i am asked is if i am going to compete. the answer is always no to which they always reply "you should, you have the perfect body." LOL not reallly, when i look at the stats of the women competing, i dont fall into any of the groups.

figure girls my height are 30-50# lighter than i am. at 5'8", 170# and about 15% body fat that gives me about 25# for fat. even if i got down to 8-9% i would still be probably 20# heavier than most of them. and for bodybuilding, well, im not big enough. i suppose i could push myself and take some AAS and get there but as much as i want to be stronger, i dont want to be bigger. i am very comfortable with where i am size wise. and to be honest, i enjoy working out and if i was to compete, it would no longer be fun, it would be a job and i dont need anymore of those!

so what about us women who dont want to compete? where do we fit in? how do our goals differ?

i think the first and most improtant thing for us noncompetitive ones is what are ones goals! what are we trying to attain? where do we want to be? i am very blessed to have some great genetics for muscle growth and development. i want to be stronger but my primary goal since returning to the gym a year and a half ago has been to shed fat. when i started i was 175# and 32% body fat and now 170# and 15%. so i have dropped 17% body fat, not bad but i want to lose more. so what are my goals? where do i want to be by the end of the year? where do i want to be in 5 years?

the answer is i want to not have fat on my ass and thighs. say what you want but if you arent the one who has it to deal with than you dont know how self conscience it makes someone who has a little pride :) (there are some women who apparently dont care) im old and im not going to be going around in short shorts with my ass hanging out but if i am wearing a bikni in a public place, i dont want to be thinking about what people are saying about my ass. i want to look better than i did the month before, every month. i want to be in the gym lifting 5, 10, 15 years from now and beyond. i want to be going because i want to not because i have to.

i think the most important thing for the noncompetitive woman is to set your goals and stand by them! people are always going to think that you need to be doing something other than what you are. who cares! let them have their say, thank them and go do your what you want. i have people who offer me advice all the time. some i take, some i think are crazy, many i ignore but i thank each and every person for their thoughts and opinion. i have often critized women who go to the gym and dont put any effort into it or dont do anything other than reduntant leg and ab excercises. but than i got to thinking, who am i to judge them, atleast they are there and maybe their goal is to think that they are getting tone. atleast they arent sitting on their ass and whining and complaining about being fat and not even trying to do something about it.

i like being strong, i like having muscle, i hate having fat that jiggles on my ass. that is me. someone else might not desire to have muscle but rather to look tone. some women want to be strong and dont worry about the fat. others might do it just to hang out and flirt with the men, if thats your thing, go for it (just dont do it when im there) as long as you are working towards that goal, that is all that matters! dont let your friends, family, co workers, spouse make you feel bad because your goals dont meet theirs. it isnt about anybody else but you! you are the one in charge of your life and what you do with it. make it count and make it your own! and enjoy it! if you arent enjoying it, stop and reconsider what your goals are, maybe it is time for new ones.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Great post ! Independence is an admirable trait in a person.Your damn right do it for yourself and no one else.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
This feeling is not just for women......I also get asked that same question constantly....and give the same answer. Competition is not for everyone (I've tried it a few times and it just doesn't give me a rush)......however, that does not mean that we are not fiercely competitive people (with ourselves mostly). Hats off to you ATW for your post and for being one of the few people who do not need a stage to push themselves to the edge everyday. It's a lifestyle that we all share and that is why we are here. Personally, I am disappointed in people who just want to "do a show" for the sake of saying that they did it or the people who neglect training hard until it's time to compete.....those who live the life are the true warriors of this community and whom I respect.....All Heart.....Elite Breed......pseudo smackin iron pumpin bitches that we all know and love. you ARE the competition.....it's you VS you....every day.....every week, every month, every year......GET SOME!!!!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i think too many women are trying to do it for all the wrong reasons and listen to way too many people on what they should do and how they should do it. there is no one majic way. to do it because one loves it, i think that is the absolute best reason! :D

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
i think too many women are trying to do it for all the wrong reasons and listen to way too many people on what they should do and how they should do it. there is no one majic way. to do it because one loves it, i think that is the absolute best reason! :D

Very well stated ATW !!!

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
well said ATW... At the end of the race, the only one at the finish line is you!

But you need to get your BF% measured somewhere else... there is NO WAY you are %15... And dont say it is all on your ass... I have seen your photos... it inst there either...

I would say you are down around 10 from the looks of your photos...

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
well said ATW... At the end of the race, the only one at the finish line is you!

But you need to get your BF% measured somewhere else... there is NO WAY you are %15... And dont say it is all on your ass... I have seen your photos... it inst there either...

I would say you are down around 10 from the looks of your photos...

LOL i wish i was 10%. i know it is hard to judge from photos but honestly, i am a big person and i a fairly decent muscle base that shows through the fat pretty well. if you were to see the pics of when i started, you wouldnt think that i was over 30% bf then either. i carry my weight very well, which i am very thankful for. i havent actually tested my bodyfat for probably 8 months or so because i got mad and threw my calipers away in a fit of rage :D and so i am just guessing based on how i was the last time i measured. i am certain that i would easily be 15%. i suppose i will have to bite the bullet and buy another set of calipers so i can prove to everyone :D:D

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Well... I am the type to say "I told you so!"

so get ready....

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Not that I know much about this subject but it's been my understanding that women have a higher bf% in general. Therefore, 15% on a woman would have the same appearance effect as ~10% on a man. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this can clarify, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, nice write-up ATW.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
LOL i wish i was 10%. i know it is hard to judge from photos but honestly, i am a big person and i a fairly decent muscle base that shows through the fat pretty well. if you were to see the pics of when i started, you wouldnt think that i was over 30% bf then either. i carry my weight very well, which i am very thankful for. i havent actually tested my bodyfat for probably 8 months or so because i got mad and threw my calipers away in a fit of rage :D and so i am just guessing based on how i was the last time i measured. i am certain that i would easily be 15%. i suppose i will have to bite the bullet and buy another set of calipers so i can prove to everyone :D:D

The problem with 10% is you loose your ass and if you are natural you have no boobs left.
For me I have no clue what my % is but I gauge where I want to be at by how I look and feel.

I have no desire to ever do a competition so it is all about me and what works for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic