Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What is the best way to grow calves?

zackrock

zackrock

Sep 8, 2010
Been trying for years to get my calves larger. There strong as hell. Am I just genetically screwed?

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Been trying for years to get my calves larger. There strong as hell. Am I just genetically screwed?

For most, not all, it is genetics..............I have decent calves and almost never work them out.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Me too zackrock....when u find the answer, write a book on it, lol. You'll be rich!

huntlo

huntlo

Apr 9, 2011
I have the same problem, but what I have found to help
is riding a bicycle. And I'm not talking about the stationary
ones at the gym. I have a couple friends who are semi-pros
for small cycling circuits and their calves are sick.
Before my bike was stolen (bastards), I would ride roughly 10-
15 miles a day. Although, the size (girth) of calves didn't
increase that much, the improvement in definition and hardness
was well worth it. When I would flex my calves and see
veins running across them, it was definitely motivating. Since
then, whenever I do abs I do calves.
3-4 sets 35@350lbs/30@375lbs/30@375lbs/15@390lbs
[Note that these are leg press weights]

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
try working on them twice a week. seated calf raises, standing calf raises, toe presses on leg press, etc...
but more importantly hit them from every angle, toes in, toes straight, toes out. my calves are not hyoooge by any means but they have grown a little over the last year doing this...

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
I was taught way back to hit them hard every workout cuz, by their nature, they can take it and need a crapload of stimulus to make them respond.

Plus what HA said above!

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
I work calves twice a week and until failure, genetics will dictate the shape and insertion points but unless your blessed it takes years of work to build great calves. Nothing worse a big dude that looks like he riding a chicken!

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I have the same problem too and have read everything I can find on growing them. Here a few things that I have found that you can ponder:
1. The fascia(sheath that holds muscle fibers) of the calf can seriously limit growth since it gets beat up all the time. The solution is to make it pliable via foam roller, massage or SEO.
2. Calves need some heavy negatives. So either use a two up one down or jumping calf raises.
3. Any muscle you prioritize should be hit first (there is science to support this). I hit calves first 2X wk.
4. Like Marx mentioned I would hit them every day, but I would use "feeder" sets of 50 reps to bring nutrients into them on days I was not hitting them heavy.

Hope it helps,
Hawk

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
i like to hit them hard. some days high reps some days heavy as hell in the 6-8 rep range. it has help mine when i do static hold stretching. ill hold the stretch untill the pain goes away. massage them etc. standing calve raises give you the most overall mass where seated hits the soleus more. if trying to bring them up i would focus on those 2 and not worry so much about the toes pointing in or out. see what works for you. i treat then like any other body part and hit them once a week. im not into everyday since there is no time to recover.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
For me it has been sprinting that has made a difference in calf size.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Do you squat hams to calves? That will hit your calves believe it or not. Also start hitting Olympic Weightlifting Assisting Movements and your calves will grow.

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
Calves are made to endure a lot of repetitous movement and are generally very strong. Additionally, they tend to recover from work very very quickly. Try working them with only a few seconds rest between sets until failure. Also be sure to be going through the full range of motion at a fairly slow and even pace to fully engage the muscles. Be sure to feel the muscle fully engage at the top of the rom with a nice squeeze.

If you struggle to be able to fully depress the brakes in your car on the ride home you;re doing it right.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic