Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Speciliazed Strength Training (SST)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
SST stands for "Specialized Strength Training". It's a hybrid training method which I devised utilizing principles from Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting, and Strongman. The purpose of this training regimen is to increase speed, strength, coordination, agility, and size.

I train in 8 week cycles (2, 4 week waves) where the 4th & 8th week are a deload week (light week). The deload week essentially gives my CNS a break, allowing me to recover and ready myself for the next 3 wave of work. I train using periodization (percentages) for my major movements like deadlift, squat (front & back olympic style), bench, etc. These major movements are not substituted at any time during the regimen. The percentages I use for my major movements are as follows; Week1 65/75/85%, Week 2 70/80/90%, Week 3 75/85/95%, and Week 4 40/50/60%. The rep scheme I use for my major movements are as follows; Week 1 3 sets of 5, Week 2 3 sets of 3, Week 3 1 set of 5/ 1 set of 3/ 1 set of 1, Week 4 3 sets of 5. The goal is to hit the required reps during each week. On the last set of week 1-3 if I am able to lift more reps on the last set, I do. The main thing though is to make sure I hit the required totals though. One week 4 I only adhere to the rep, set, and percentage scheme laid out because that week is for recovery. I add weight with each new wave. Once I stall 2x I recalculate my true 1RM and then recreate my percentages based on that. I wait till I stall 2x because there can be outside influences as to why you were unable to hit your require numbers that day. Perhaps you didn't sleep enough, get enough food in you that day, or any other of the many reasons.

I utilize linear progression on all assisting movements that focuses on strength, but also builds size. On all assisting movements I use a 7-5-5-3-3 rep/set scheme. On Olympic assisting movements like snatch pulls, clean pulls, etc I use a 5-5-5-5-5 rep/set scheme. The purpose is to keep proper form which helps build proper motor and neural pathways and also keep you from getting injured which easily takes place when form becomes sloppy. The assisting movements are substituted with each new 8 week cycle.

Now, onto how much rest I take in between sets. For my major movements like deadlifts, squats, bench, etc I take 3-5min of rest depending on where I am on the wave. For all assisting movements I only take 1min 30sec rest time. I also train only 4x week, training EOD. This also allows my CNS to stay fresh and not overtrain. So for training days, you could choose Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun or any other combination which fits your schedule. There is also a 3x week training schedule but I’ll talk about that at a later time. It's basically for those who cannot fit 4 days into their busy schedule.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
DIET

Thought that since I post my training regimen, I would also post an general outline of my diet. There are slight differences but this gives your the gist of what I do diet wise.

Protein
4 Meals are Lean Turkey, Chicken Breast, Flank Steak, Eggs, Tuna
1 Meal is Protein Shakes

Carbs
HIGH Day
Mon / Wed / Fri
5 of 5 Meals; Consume as much Red Potato as I want
PreWO and PWO Meals MUST have Carbs
3 Meals MUST have 1 cup of Green Veggies
2 Meals has 1 small fruit

LOW Day
Tues / Thurs / Sat / Sun
2 of 5 Meals; Consume 1gr per lbs of bodyweight
4 Meals have NO Carbs
PWO Meal MUST have Carbs
3 Meals MUST have 1 cup of Green Veggies
1 Meals has 1 small fruit

Fats
Natty Peanut Butter, Almonds, etc for healthy Fats

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I had to tweak my SST training b/c I have a shoulder injury which turned out to be an impingement due to a muscular imbalance. Thankfully, it's not a labrum tear.

I am not training shoulders directly for the next 10 weeks and I'm only training 3x week for the moment. I've also dropped my weights CONSIDERABLY when I train chest, triceps, and biceps b/c they stress the shoulder joint.

I have shoulder rehab movements which I perform that have helped me greatly and continue to help get me back to 100%.

SHOULDER REHAB MOVEMENTS:

Let me write down the description of each of these rehab movements b/c someone out there might benefit from them.

Wall Angels~ Stand against a wall. You head, shoulders, butt, elbows, and hands must be touching the wall at all times. Than make the top half of a snow angel on the wall. This will be difficult but it helps open up the shoulder girdle. Try to bring down the elbows as low as possible (lower them). Bring your arm up and touch them at the top, lower them all the time while keeping contact to the wall with the above mentioned groups.

Scapular Motions~ This is easy. It's just rolling your shoulders forward, backward, upward, and downward. You don't have to hold any of these. They should be fluid movements.

Sea Turtles~ Have you ever seen a sea turtle on tv try to dig into the sand to lay it's eggs? Its kinda like that. You lay on the ground (prone), facing down. Arms are overhead with a bend (in an arc). Your head should touching the floor (face directly forward). Now was you bring your arms back and away (do so in an arcing manner), lift your upper body and squeeze your shoulder blades. Than as you bring your arms back to the starting position, lower your face back down to the floor (relax completely).

Stick Stretch~ Take a broom stick and starting in front bring it up and back where it touches your behind. Than bring it forward. That is one rep.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
As for my cardio/conditioning. I am currently dieting down since I'm not 100% so I am performing LISS Cardio 3x week for 40min. Next week I'll be subbing one LISS for Satdiums and in 2-4 weeks I'll be subbing another LISS for Sled Pulls.

LISS Cardio is Low Intensity Slow Steady Cardio like on a treadmill, bike, elliptical, etc.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
April 4, 11 ~ Legs

Had another great day at the gym. One more heavy leg week and than I'll be lowering my weights and letting everything rest a bit while I lean up. Performed my dynamic warmup outside and drank 32oz of Powerade @ 1/2 strength.

WAVE 24 WEEK 2
LEGS:

Back Squat (oly)~ 162kgX3, 182kgX3, 201kgX3
oly = means olympic which is high bar, narrow stance, and squatting hams to calves.

Front Squat (oly)~ 135kgX3, 151kgX3, 167kgX3

Old School Hacks~ 90kgX7, 100kgX7, 110kgX5, 120kgX4, 130kgX3
I use a 10kg or 25lbs plate to increase the ROM of the exercise.

Bottom Up Back Squat~ 60kgX7, 70kgX7, 80kgX7
start literally at the bottom position and than squat up. Come to a complete stop at starting position (bottom position) each time.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
April 6, 11 ~ Chest/Triceps

Had a good day. Did most of my rehab at the gym after training. As always I performed my dyanmic warm up and drank 30oz of 1/2 strength powerade.

WAVE 24 WEEK 2
CHEST:

Flat Bench~ 205lbsX3, 235lbsX3, 265lbsX3

Close Grip Floor Press~ 165lbsX7, 175lbsX7, 185lbsX5, 195lbsX5

TRICEPS:
Straight Bar Pressdown~ 90lbsX7, 100lbsX7, 110lbsX6X5, 120lbsX3

EZ Curl Bar Skulls~ 75lbsX7, 85lbsX7, 95lbsX5, 105lbsX5

Than did wall angels, scap rotations, and stick stretch. Still have sea turtles w/ 10lbs plates tonight to finish shoulder rehab. Stick stretches are new. I added them in now since I can do them. I'll be adding wheel barrels in 2 weeks which will complete all the movements I need to do to rehab my shoulder. I'll also be adding weights (5lbs) to my sea turtles every 2 weeks.

10 more weeks till I can start training shoulders again.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
April 7, 11 ~ Cardio

Did my 40min of LISS Cardio this morning. I'll do my 4 rehab movements later today. I have one more cardio session on Sat. Tomorrow is Back.

Next week I'll be doing 2 40min LISS Sessions and I'll be subbing in Stadiums on Sat. I'll run stadiums as long as I can and than walk them till I'm out there for 30min. As time goes on I'll run more and walk less.

3-4 weeks after Stadiums I'll be subbing in Sleds for another LISS Cardio session.

The idea is to have all 3 types of cardio/conditioning in my regimen.

I'll also be keeping a watchful eye on my bodyweight b/c I drop weight easily so I may need to tweak my diet once I am in full swing.

Also in 10 weeks I get to start training shoulders again and I haven't decided if I'll keep my training 3x wk or start training 4x week. I may keep it 3x for a bit and slowly transition back into a 4x wk training split.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Nice program, and sounds really challenging. Perhaps I'll look into doing this or a variation of it

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Cool. I'm currently doing a water down and abridged version of my SST b/c of my shoulder injury. Hopefully, I'll be back 100% in 10 weeks and can hit it full force. On my home board, quite a few members use my training methods and they have all been more than happy with the results thus far.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
April 7, 11

Did 4 rehab movement this evening; Scapular Motions, Wall Angels, Sea Turtles (w/10lbs plates), and Stick Stretch. This is beginning to really take it out of me. I'm actually tired when I'm done.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
April 8, 11 ~ Back/Biceps

Had a great workout. Warmed up outside as usual (dynamic warm up) and drank 1/2 strength powerade throughout the workout 30-40oz. I hit my numbers but I can tell dieting down is taking a toll on my strength. I've dropped 10 or so lbs and after next week I'll be recalc'ing my numbers and continuing to lean up.

My shoulder is doing better and I spoke to my friend who is helping me with the rehab. I need to see him for the 2nd portion of the rehab. I guess I'll have even more movements to perform.

WAVE 24 WEEK 2
BACK:

Deadlift (conventional)~ 195kgX3, 219kgX3, 244kgX3

Standing Good Mornings~ 70kgX7, 80kgX7, 90kgX5, 100kgX4, 110kgX3

Kroc Rows~ 85lbsX20 X12

Face Pulls~ Green BandX 3(15)

BICEPS:
Hammer Curl~ 35lbsX7, 40lbsX7, 45lbsX6, 50lbsX5

Than I did wall angels, stick stretch, and scap motions. I still have sea turtles left.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
April 9, 11 ~ Cardio

Did my 40min of cardio today. I was out all day so no shoulder rehab. I'll make sure I do them tomorrow. I make sure I perform all my exercises 5 days a week and so if I miss 1 day I don't stress about it.

Also I'm going to be changing my diet at the beginning of WAVE 25. It's going to look like:

MON~ HIGH
TUES~ LOW
WED~ MED
THUR~ LOW
FRI~ HIGH
SAT~ MED
SUN~ LOW

And if you want to see what MY rotation looks like, well here it is:

HIGH DAY:
Carbs: 2gr per lbs bodyweight
Protein: 1gr per lbs bodyweight
Fats: No additional fats added this day