Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Let's talk knee wraps

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Over the years I've seen dozens of different knee wrap techniques. Each and every different style has it's own claim to it's superiority over the next. Scissor style criss crossing, starting top to bottom, bottom to top, inside wrap, outside wrap, some that cross over the knee multiple times...the list goes on. Each generally boils down to personal preference and bro science.

What do you like the best? Brand, wrapping style, casted or rebound style, 2 or 2.5m? Tricks or tips you've picked up over the years?

I prefer a very basic bottom to top wrap. Very tight, starting at the bottom of my knee cap and going one full pass over my vastus lateralis before tying off right above my knee.

I try to put the knot directly ontop of the top of my knee cap to help make the hips seem lower in contrast to the knee. I found that if I go any higher than just one pass over the bottom of my vastus lateralis I lose some rebound speed out of the hole.

I honestly prefer shorter 2m wraps with a single pass on the way up over my knee cap. I feel more comfortable with a rebound style wrap over a more stiff cast style, but I'm generally not a very wide stance squatter.

I stick to using the titan thp wraps and the basic inzer black and red wraps.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This is an interesting discussion....

I used to criss cross my wraps over the knee after going from bottom up and wrapping outside. SS wraps me from the bottom up and wraps to the outside but she doesn't criss cross after. I use the Titan THP wraps. I like rebound wraps. It suits my squatting well.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Does anyone ever notice a difference wrapping inside or outside? I generally have my knees wrapped to the outside but if I wrap them myself I get more leverage for a tighter wrap if I wrap to the inside. Neither seems to make any difference in my squat other than Id prefer to have someone else wrap my knees for the tightest possible wrap

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I always wrap out and pull up to tighten down each wrap.

I've tried criss crossing, but never felt right to me. Just a simple from bottom up does the trick for me.

I like the stiff wraps over the rebound ones... The tighter I can wrap a stiff wrap.. It can hurt, but the results work for me.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Back when i wrapped, i staryed at rop and criss crossed. For my right leg i pulled to the outside and to the inside for my left. At the end of the day it doesnt matter. Do what works for you. Back when i was doing it, it was cast tight or go the **** home.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I use Odin 3m wraps and they are a bitch but holy hell do they work well. They are ridiculously stiff. To the point at my last comp I popped my shoulder and tore the skin from my thumbnail just wrapping up tight.

I start below the knee and wrap bottom to top overlapping, never criss-crossing the knee.

I wrap myself and I'm right handed so I wrap my right leg to the outside and my left leg to the inside. I never even thought about it until now.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I use Odin 3m wraps and they are a bitch but holy hell do they work well. They are ridiculously stiff. To the point at my last comp I popped my shoulder and tore the skin from my thumbnail just wrapping up tight.

I start below the knee and wrap bottom to top overlapping, never criss-crossing the knee.

I wrap myself and I'm right handed so I wrap my right leg to the outside and my left leg to the inside. I never even thought about it until now.

I want wraps called Odin just because it sounds metal as fuxk!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Does anyone ever notice a difference wrapping inside or outside? I generally have my knees wrapped to the outside but if I wrap them myself I get more leverage for a tighter wrap if I wrap to the inside. Neither seems to make any difference in my squat other than Id prefer to have someone else wrap my knees for the tightest possible wrap

I prefer to wrap to the outside b/c it makes it easier to spread the floor but I trained with a guy who used to always wrap in so it would pull in and he would push out. He claimed it would allow for him to create more tension and therefore help him more when performing a squat.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Pick one... either both out or both in. Never mix like that.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Pick one... either both out or both in. Never mix like that.

I did the same thing for the same reason, right handed. Never an issue. I seriously think we tend to overanalyze at times. Jmo. If it isnt broke dont fix it.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I am glad you posted this thread... I have always wondered if I was doing it right... I was taught keep it tight and wrap them from the bottom to the top... that was years ago in the dbol only era... for a long time I stopped... and for the most part I dont wrap... but when I do... its bottom up... below the knee to above the knee... tight!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I did the same thing for the same reason, right handed. Never an issue. I seriously think we tend to overanalyze at times. Jmo. If it isnt broke dont fix it.

Someone who I trained with did this for a couple months and they were having knee pains until they decided to go either in and out and the pain stopped. Wrapping in one direction keeps both knees going in the same direction under pressure.

So.... choose 1 direction; either "inward" or "outward".

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic