Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Does Cracking Your Knuckles Cause Arthritis?

georgia21

georgia21

Aug 30, 2010
Some do it as a nervous tick. Others like the sound. Still others find it to be a form of stress-relief. But does cracking your knuckles now, mean you are doomed to suffer from arthritis later?

Despite warnings from your grandparents that you’ll suffer a life of arthritis if you sit around cracking your knuckles, this myth is busted.

“Here’s what really happens,” Dr. Debbie Yi, an Emergency Medicine and Neurology physician at the Hospital of UPenn says. “When you crack your knuckles you are actually just expanding [the] joint capsule.”

While we wouldn’t recommend you sit around passing the time by cracking your knuckles, Dr. Yi says, “It’s never ever been proven in research that knuckle cracking actually causes arthritis.”

Case cracked.

news.yahoo.com/blogs/healthbusters/does-cracking-your-knuckles-cause-arthritis-155756201.html

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
That's good. I've been cracking my knuckles for years. I do it because it feels good for whatever reason.

Slic.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I do both knuckles on my fingers and my neck about 5 times a day! Feels great!

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Isn't it just air? My knees, elbows, and wrists have constantly popped since I was a young teenager. No arthritis 20 years later...

B

Bronik.

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2013
I've always popped my knuckles. Since I was young and even now. I can say I've been feeling the pain for a couple years now. I feel it even worse when I lift. However arthritis seems to run in my family. My old man has it, his old man had it. It may be more genetics but I feel popping your knuckles or anything else would speed up the process or make it worse. Now...if I can only manage to notice when I do it and stop....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic