Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Trembling under heavy weight

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I'm starting to go for some doubles and triples. It's been a long time. I can't even remember when I went this heavy. At least a year ago... Anyway, I don't remember trembling so much. I feel very strong and my numbers are near my PRs. When my legs started to shake on a heavy dead, it felt dangerous. I didn't feel in control. Any tips?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I felt this recently on heavy squats . I however didn't have a belt on so I chalked it up to that.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Parkinson's disease?

could just be that since you haven't gone this heavy in a while your muscles are contracting harder than they're used to. Look at how much strongman competitors shake when they're lifting thousands.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I used to feel this earlier on in my training but I think a lot of this is your body struggling to handle the heavy weight. That's why so many of us say it's imperative to do singles, doubles, and triples. You have to work your body and your CNS so that it's programmed to handle the work load. Now you very well shake on a PR attempt but to have this happen with just heavy weight makes me think it's your body/mind not conditioned enough yet.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I shake on heavy bench, and have for a long time. I have a couple theories, one being similar to BI's. I don't train to improve my CNS specifically, and it could be a neuromuscular response. The second is, I sometimes wonder if I lack enough stability and strength in my joints.

I second the conditioning recommendation, and I would also suggest to make sure your hip flexors are strong and flexible as well.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I too, tremble under a heavy bench weight. I think BI is right, your CNS is not accustomed to the weight and is firing off at a high rate to compensate. Contrary to Shortz, my joints are not an issue, but maybe tendon strength is . . .

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Do things to get used to maximal or supramaximal weight loads:
Heavy walkouts
Reverse band squats
Pin presses
Board presses
Heavy rack pulls

I've been doing this lately to get used to heavier weights. At the meet, if I'm feeling savage, I can go for broke knowing it's only the hole to fear, not the entire movement.

Long term, PR attempts during off-season training won't be as abrasive to my mind/body.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Are you low-carbing or very cal restricted at the moment?

I have noticed lowering carbs or even cals too low will have this effect on me. At an extremes I did a PSMF diet for 10 days and it took an enormous toll on my CNS. Took me about 3 full week to recover and start 'firing' in sync.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Are you low-carbing or very cal restricted at the moment?

I have noticed lowering carbs or even cals too low will have this effect on me. At an extremes I did a PSMF diet for 10 days and it took an enormous toll on my CNS. Took me about 3 full week to recover and start 'firing' in sync.

Yeah, Im low carbing. It never had this effect in the past. Actually, I DLed the same weight today with far less shaking.

I

Ishpart

Mar 11, 2013
Also does this to me when I haven't eaten enough. Or could just need more heavy work to condition stabilizer muscles

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Everything I've read about the trembling is that it's a CNS thing. I see it happen at competitions fairly often.

Edit: Or nervous system thing (as Porky said below)

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic