Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

deadlift is lagging please help

Jimbo999

Jimbo999

Apr 22, 2014
hi I am having trouble with my deadlift of the floor. my squat and bench numbers are going up nicely but in the same period my deadlift is probably gone up less than half what my squat has. I mainly find that I just cant break the floor. I know I can make the lift if I can get it moving which is really frustrating. I am incorporating defecits into my programme just off about an inch any more than that and I find my lower back starts to feel it. another problem is I cant work out whether I prefer conv or sumo which isn't helping. I squatted quite an easy 210kg last week but am stuck at 207.5kg from the floor. I tried 210 and it just wouldn't budge. I can rep out some ok numbers but it doesn't seem to translate to my 1 rep max. any ideas or a decent deadlift programme specifically for being crap off the floor.

im 5 foot 6.5 and weight 82.5kg 39 years old.

many thanks

Want2lift

Want2lift

Jun 12, 2012
Box squats an inch or two below parallel are a great way to help out with that. Usually when the floor is your sticking point it's the hams and glutes that need some work. Like I said, slightly below parallel box squats will help, be sure to sit all the way down taking the load off your hand and glutes but keep your back tight, explode up. Romanian dead lifts, form is crucial for these and many get it wrong, and a glute ham raise (GHR) would help you as well.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Back attack

Reverse hypers

Weighted Roman chairs

Front squats.

These all helped me get the weight off the floor....now if it comes up, I'm getting that m'fer.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Deficit Pulls and Oly Front Squats.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Snatch grip deads could be of some assistance in addition to the other recommendations by the other members. Deficit and snatch grip work really make me explosive off the floor.

Jimbo999

Jimbo999

Apr 22, 2014
Thanks guys. I religiously do front squats. After reading a dan green article. Up to about 170kg for a single. Ghr I religiously do as well. Don't do any box squats though. Might have to start programming them in. Would they be done after squats or pulls??

Want2lift

Want2lift

Jun 12, 2012
you could program them a million ways. I would do them while you are fresh. Maybe work in another day and use them as your main lift for that day?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd rotate them into your program as another assisting lift. Don't try to do everything at once and all the time. Put them in and take something out that you're strong in. Later rotate the other back in.

Jimbo999

Jimbo999

Apr 22, 2014
Thanks a lot for the advice much appreciated.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
I'd agree with the advice above especially the deficit pulls as this is where you're getting stuck, do these the more traditional way standing on a box/platform (no higher than 1-2") or try pyramid dl (each foot on a seperate block/bench with the weight in between) with 60-80% of your 1rm, you can do these with a kettlebell but you're already lifting at a weight where you'll probably have trouble getting the right weight, the 'proper' equipment to use is a t-handle (aka core blaster) if your gym has one. I don't have access to one of these at the moment and the kb I have are to light for dl so I've just attached the required weight to a chain and am pulling that way, seems to work ok and good on the grip as well. Just make sure you're sitting below parallel for the start of the pull.

Other drills you can add in is to just dl to your knees, do 4 sets of 3-8 reps. you can advance these by adding a 3-5 sec pause or do a full rep after the 1/2 rep.

Hang dl will also increase your starting speed & ability to keep tight - do a normal dl then lower to just below your knees under control, take a pause and lift again.

If you not using them already add some k/b swings into your assistance work, use the 'hardstyle' swing technique for something like 10 on the minute every minute for 10mins once or twice a week.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I like to keep things simple. I'm gonna echo what bi said with the deficit deadlifts. My weakness tends to be off the floor as well.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There's lots of good info here - but all of it assumes that it's a muscle weakness. I'd go 70/30 that it's not.

It's probably technique - especially if you aren't committed to any particular deadlift stance.

I agree that you should work box squats - only to teach you to sit WAY back. Break back and push back and out.
Definitely look up Laura Phelps' video on how to properly do Chair Deadlifts - those will help more.

Watch any good puller. As they set up to start the pull they are sitting back in to their hamstrings - most are also pulling the slack out of the bar at the same time.

Try this - Load up around 100kg on a deadlift bar. Bend over and grab the bar, squeeze your back tight and rock back to your heels - sit back, not down and push your head up..... the bar should lever an inch or two off of the ground without you even driving your legs. Practice this. To teach newer lifters I'll have them do three reps of this - wedge in and lever the bar off the ground then drop it, do it again, then on the third one wedge in, lever it off the ground and as soon as it's moving drive your legs ( like a box squat, pushing your hips through).

With how tight my hamstrings are, anything below around 300kg will lever off the ground before I drive my legs. Above that and the bar just flexes...... but, doing this, When I was a low-700lb deadlifter I had just pulled 727 on my 2nd attempt at a meet and called for a PR of 777 to break a state record. They misloaded me with around 840 and I still blasted it off the floor and only missed at my knees. For conventional pulls you should never miss off the floor if you wedge in like this....... My wife pulls sumo and it's the same for her.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic