Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Atmae Fitness training log, hopefully it will interest someone...

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Just joined this forum recently and been looking at the logs and feedback given and really impressed by the way everyone helps and learns off each other. Like to put my training up here and be appreciative of any feedback and pointers.

To keep consistency I’ll just post a once a week log based on the previous weeks training, and just answer any questions/respond to feedback inbetween.

Am starting a new phase on the 1st of feb (Spoiler Alert:Involves words - Smolov & Deadlift) so willofficially start from then.

For now I’ll quickly outline my goals and will post again with an outline of where I’m at presently and my training plans/tools etc.

Eventually looking to include video/photos etc of my training which I’ll post here and on other media, however this isn’t possible right now.

My primary focus at the moment is the Autumn Strongfirst Tactical Strength Challenge which will be sometime around Nov 2015.

This involves three events, 1rm Deadlift (standard raw division powerlifting rules), Tactical pull ups for max reps(neck or chest to touch bar, full extension, no kip/swing etc) & as many Kettlebell snatches as possible in 5 mins with a 24kg k/b. If you’re interested in a fuller description of rules etc just ask, or check the strongfirst site.

Going by last years results, to be in with a shot of winning I need to be hitting a 275kg+(605Ib) Deadlift, 25+ Pull ups & 150+ Snatches. So basically these are the targets I’ll either hit, surpass or just have fun trying…

Along the way I’d also like to attend a powerlifting meet/contest and am currently looking at options for this. Ideally be looking for around June/July time so will update as and when I find something.

Will also be working on development of my basic gymnastic skill which is currently trying to get a full planche and basic moves on the rings, and will also be training for mma with a view to competing towards the end of the year. As these last two points seem a bit off topic from what I’ve seen so far on the forum I won’t go into too much detail on them (unless someone specifically requests) other than to just call it skill work and cardio.

So the above is my rough plan of what I hope to achieve for 2015. Next week I’ll post an outline of my previous training and where I’m currently at in relation to the main goals and what I’m going to do to advance.

Hopefully some of you will be able to find what I do useful and interesting to help your own training, and as stated above I’d be appreciative of any feedback along the way or pointers where I could improve my results especially from the more experienced members on the forum.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Welcome and I hope you post often in your journal because what you are doing is different and therefore interesting . . .

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Great start and I look forward to seeing your training style. We have a fantastic group of loggers here!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Great man! Can't wait to follow!

What are your current numbers? Dead lift, pull ups and snatch?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Interesting conditioning. Are you going to take it seriously? You'd want to train stand up, wrestling, and BJJ each separately then. There are a few members on here who train BJJ and Judo and compete at a very high level. Make sure you don't skimp on your meals or sleep since you're looking to squat 3x a week and pull while training MMA.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Great man! Can't wait to follow!

What are your current numbers? Dead lift, pull ups and snatch?

Thanks,

Deadlift is 255kg which I hit for the first time 3weeks ago.

Last time I tested pull ups hit 14

Haven't done a test condition on the snatches yet as I'm working through a progression, as a rough estimate from what I'm doing on that it would be round the 110-120 mark.

on my next full post i'll out line how I'm training and the planned progression.

I'm pretty confident on getting my target numbers on the deadlift, but have my work cut out for the pull ups and snatches.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Interesting conditioning. Are you going to take it seriously? You'd want to train stand up, wrestling, and BJJ each separately then. There are a few members on here who train BJJ and Judo and compete at a very high level. Make sure you don't skimp on your meals or sleep since you're looking to squat 3x a week and pull while training MMA.

At present I'd class it as a serious hobby, I'm just starting out with the MMA training, and I'm certainly not the most natural talent and realistically I'm coming to it a bit late in the day. I just love the physical challenge of it etc. I'm inbetween moving areas at the moment and have linked up with trainers in my new area for coaching the separate skills and combined etc.

The mma training will load up more of the schedule towards the back end of the year when I'm settled in my new area, which is why I'm hitting the deadlifts in overdrive at this stage and then by the time I move, depending on what method I use it will either be just one heavy day or a heavy day and a speed/light day.

Also I won't be squating 3x a week, I'm doing Smolovs plan for deadlift not the squat cycle (I did that last year and stopped all cardio etc). Don't know if you've seen the deadlift plan? (guessing you probably have, but just in case) Its not the same as the squat cycle, more of a westside/conjugate style and whilst still pretty intense - on paper at least - it doesn't look quite as bad as the Squat version(mainly because you get a bit more rest). I'll be passing on the squats for the duration of the programme except for a bit of work on bodyweight singles & technique stuff.

Thanks for your comments and I'd be grateful for any more advice you have along the way

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I haven't seen the SMOLOV deadlift cycle. I'm used to the squat cycle being that I was an Oly lifter and our coach encouraged everyone to run it at least 1x a year but no more than 2x year. I think deadlifting 2x week with one being heavy and the other being speed is a good idea esp. since your goal is to pull 605. I think speed is critical to pulling big numbers.

I'm not big in MMA. I'm big into BJJ but not into the stand up portion. It's definitely good that you're working each separately b/c there are only a handful of places that do well teaching all 3 under one roof.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
I haven't seen the SMOLOV deadlift cycle. I'm used to the squat cycle being that I was an Oly lifter and our coach encouraged everyone to run it at least 1x a year but no more than 2x year. I think deadlifting 2x week with one being heavy and the other being speed is a good idea esp. since your goal is to pull 605. I think speed is critical to pulling big numbers.

I'm not big in MMA. I'm big into BJJ but not into the stand up portion. It's definitely good that you're working each separately b/c there are only a handful of places that do well teaching all 3 under one roof.

Thanks for the feedback.

I prefer the grappling/BJJ side of it to the striking and find I take to that more naturally.

On the smolov for squats I put 30kg on my 1rm, and I ran the smolov jnr on my bench and added 10kg so I'm pretty confident for it to take the deadlift up. I'll put the full deadlift cycle upon here so you can see it. It doesn't seem as readily available on the net as the squat version, most people just seem to be applying the squat one to deadlifts, which I'm sure in itself produces good results.

I used the one heavy/one light method to get me from 250 to 255kg over a 4 week programme in a format that didn't really feel like I was doing much, so it blends well with my other aims.

One quick Q. as you say you were an olympic lifter, and I note you now compete in powerlifting? did you use to do the olympic style squat and then switch to a powerlifting style squat?

The reason I ask is I've always used the olympic style. I can squat full depth no problems with knees etc. However where I've more recently been looking at maximal strength development, which inevitably led me to read a lot from the powerlifting community, I've seen the benefits of using a powerlifting style squat and decided to switch styles.

At the moment I feel weaker on my squats with the PL style and certainly wouldn't be able to lift the same as I can OLY style. I put this down to it being a new movement pattern and taking time to get used to it etc, thus I was wondering if you went through a similar transition? I plan to practice a lot of the technique drills whilst doing the deadlift plan, after which I'd look at bring my squat back up. Basically my question is am I right in thinking the long term benefits will be worth going through the relearning etc?

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Atmae Fitness

Atmae Fitness

Jan 15, 2015
Sounds a lot like my style of training! Looking forward to your log.

Yeah, I've had a couple of looks at your log, sorry haven't got round to commenting on it yet as still setting things up and getting bearings etc, but will be following. I like crossfit training and use it myself, come off it for a bit know as my goals are more specific but you will see the odd WOD pop in my training.

all the best

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic