Nov 12, 2012
Some might enjoy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Should there be a video, link or some guess work needed on our part ;)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Weird, when I go into edit your post I see the link. Guess the boss doesn't want me watching videos all day....

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Very cool video. Thanks!!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Great stuff here. Vice puts out some amazing documentaries. Their filming style is money.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Iceland is a great place.
If anyone get a chance they should visit.
Make sure you do it during the summer.

S

sportsfreak

Oct 25, 2014
Awesome video MK. Enjoyed watching...

B

Beachbody

Oct 2, 2010
Many of the Icelandic strongmen have Swedish last names. Hafthor Bjornsson is one. He is 6'9", 395 lbs. and has an athletic physique. I believe he is descended from an ancient Germanic tribe from Sweden called the Goths. They migrated south to the eastern border of the Roman empire around 235 AD.
They were probably around 6'10". One ancient Roman historian described them as having so much muscle mass in their upper body that they didn't know how their feet could support them. Another historian said they were as tall as date palms and the finest physical specimens he had ever seen.
During their time in the Roman empire, they slaughtered 4 Roman armies, killed 2 Roman emperors, sacked Rome in 410 AD and destroyed the western Roman empire. All this and one modern historian described them as just some Swedish farmers that called themselves Goths.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Many of the Icelandic strongmen have Swedish last names. Hafthor Bjornsson is one. He is 6'9", 395 lbs. and has an athletic physique. I believe he is descended from an ancient Germanic tribe from Sweden called the Goths. They migrated south to the eastern border of the Roman empire around 235 AD.
They were probably around 6'10". One ancient Roman historian described them as having so much muscle mass in their upper body that they didn't know how their feet could support them. Another historian said they were as tall as date palms and the finest physical specimens he had ever seen.
During their time in the Roman empire, they slaughtered 4 Roman armies, killed 2 Roman emperors, sacked Rome in 410 AD and destroyed the western Roman empire. All this and one modern historian described them as just some Swedish farmers that called themselves Goths.

You got it wrong about the names. They are not Swedish, but Nordic.
The Swedes are long abandoned the tradition of taking your fathers first name as your last.
Bjornsson means Son of Bjorn.
Johnson means Son of John
Its from the old viking days. You take your dads first name and add either son or daughter to it.
It was for the whole Nordic region. The Icelandic phone books is listed by the first name.
Last summer we stayed in a house on Iceland and they had 4 different lastnames on the mail box.
Last name of the wife.
Last name of the husband.
Last name of the daughter
Last name of the son
All same family.

Can you figure out what Leif Erikson's dads first name was ?

Goths were vikings from the Gotland area (South Sweden).
They migrated south. I guess they liked the weather better :)
If I remember correctly they split in to two or more sub groups later in time.
Ostergoths and visgoths (spelling)? Probably means east goths and west goths
It should be plenty of info available on the net if anyone has interest.
Personally i dont give a shit about the Swedes, its a Norwegian thing :)

Its much more likely that Hafthor is a descended from the Norwegain vikings that settled Iceland.
Probably some Irish blood in there too since they liked to pick up their dates from Ireland.
The Icelanding gene pool is so clean they have been doing gene research there for years now.

B

Beachbody

Oct 2, 2010
I will stand by my belief that Bjornsson is a Swedish name. Have you heard of the former Swedish tennis star Bjorn Borg? The sson at the end of the name is exclusively a Swedish tradition. The Swedish govt. banned the practice in 1850.
Iceland is a nation of migrants. It was populated by Norwegians, Danes and Swedes. Over the millenium huge numbers of Swedes migrated out of Sweden. Probably starting with the Goths in the 1st century AD. From 1850 to 1920 1.2 million Swedes emigrated to the US. There was also large migration to western Russia and places like Belarus.
The Norwegians don't have the size to account for Hafthor's 6'9". There was a program on the History channel about early Viking raiders that were ambushed and killed by Saxons in Scotland. They examined the body of one and he was only 5'9" and estimated his age at 19.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic