Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

cable shrugs

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Was in the gym today and had the cable cross over set up all to myself. I was able to grab each side ad set it up for shrugs. I like these as a different option to barbell shrugs, dumbbell shrugs, and smith machine shrugs. I really like the constant tension on the cable both on the positive and negative, as i found you dont need much weight to stimulate and get a real good burn. Anyways, just wanted to share this and if you get a chance and have the cable cross over machine or TRX to yourself at the gym, give it a try. Here is how to do them in case you have never done them.

Attach single handle on both sides of cable attachments.

Lower attachment to the lowest setting on machine, very bottom.

Select a weight you can handle, remember it wont take heavy amounts of weight to start.

Step a foot or two in front, as it will give you a lil more room so you dont bottom out on negative.

Get your shrug on :)

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Was in the gym today and had the cable cross over set up all to myself. I was able to grab each side ad set it up for shrugs. I like these as a different option to barbell shrugs, dumbbell shrugs, and smith machine shrugs. I really like the constant tension on the cable both on the positive and negative, as i found you dont need much weight to stimulate and get a real good burn. Anyways, just wanted to share this and if you get a chance and have the cable cross over machine or TRX to yourself at the gym, give it a try. Here is how to do them in case you have never done them.

Attach single handle on both sides of cable attachments.

Lower attachment to the lowest setting on machine, very bottom.

Select a weight you can handle, remember it wont take heavy amounts of weight to start.

Step a foot or two in front, as it will give you a lil more room so you dont bottom out on negative.

Get your shrug on :)

Haven't tried them the way you did them. I'll have to give these a shot. I've done them with cables and a straight bar before and liked it. I'm gonna do them your way this week. Thanks for posting up brother.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Always been a fan of cable shrugs; my last gym had a cable machine that was designed for deadlifts and squats (yes I am serious) and it was ideal for cable shrugs.

My ultimate is standing calf machine shrugs, though. Totally eliminates any arm or leg involvement.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
That standing calf machine would be bad ass to do shrugs!

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Always been a fan of cable shrugs; my last gym had a cable machine that was designed for deadlifts and squats (yes I am serious) and it was ideal for cable shrugs.

My ultimate is standing calf machine shrugs, though. Totally eliminates any arm or leg involvement.

We have one of these cable machines you're talking about. I'll try it out on that. I've seen a few guys use it for shrugs.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
That standing calf machine would be bad ass to do shrugs!

He mentioned these before and I tried a few times. Humbling to say the least. You really do isolate them performing these

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic