Members
Latest Member
pbtom

10 Weeks til Competition - Peaking Program/Training suggestions welcomed

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
After I deload this week, I'll be starting back up again on Sunday, December 28th. From that date, I'll only have 9 weeks of actual lifting (the 10th week is the week of the Arnold Classic (I lift on Friday, March 6).

I'm looking for suggestions on how I should train. I just completed a couple of 6-week training cycles that helped me put on a little bit of size and strength; but I feel like I need to focus on getting a stronger if I want to hit my PR goals at the meet. So I may want to reduce the volume a bit (especially when I'm 3-4 weeks out). I've read a bit about peaking before a competition and have some ideas on what I would do (especially about 4-5 weeks out). But I thought I'd solicit some suggestions/feedback from a few of the experienced, knowledgeable powerlifters here at the Den. Thanks!

My typical training week:
Sunday: Heavy DEADLIFTS; Volume or Speed SQUATS; Accessories
Tuesday: Heavy BENCH; Accessories
Thursday: Heavy SQUATS; Volume or Speed DEADLIFTS; Accessories
Friday: Volume or Speed BENCH; Accessories

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Hate to be the guy that pushes the same thing on everyone, but the Lilliebridge Method seems kinda close to what you're doing... And it's less volume per your request. AND it runs ten weeks.

It has a squat/dead day where you go heavy with one and light with the other... Then the next week you switch which goes heavy and which goes light, alternating each week.

Then you have a heavy bench day one week and then a speed day the next week. Those alternate weeks and progressively get heavier with less reps.

The other two days are where you hit all the accessory work.

PM me for more info...

Fuxking hype for you though! The Arnold will be stupid exciting.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Let us know what you decide to do CL!

Can't wait for the meet!

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I don't change the format of my week (lower body ME, upper body ME, lower body DE, upper body DE). I typically peak for 4 weeks, but include a high volume week before I begin.

5 weeks out: standard training with up to double the volume.
4 weeks out: cut the standard training accessory volume by half. Loading intensity high. Begin specificity training.
3 weeks out: little to no accessory volume. Reducing loading intensity.
2 weeks out: lift specific work--mostly singles, no more than triples with moderate intensity. No accessories.
1 week out: Very low loading intensity singles.

It's pretty simple. It is basically finding a balance of recovery and GPP.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic