Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Favorite calf exercise / Staple

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I like the seated, plate loaded calf machine.

You could do it with any type of machine but I always seem to get more out of the seated.

I hit it pyramiding weight up, a 2 to 3 second hold at the top and a 4 second negative. I'm doing a hold but not a squeeze or attempting mind to muscle because of catching cramps. I add weight after every set. At the last set, I lean forward and strip the weight while up in the hold position until the 2 45s remain and hit some forced reps with the same hold and negative.

Total sets- 5 - 6. All sets are hold and slow negatives.

I start with a 45 on each side for 10 reps with the hold and negative. Plenty of gas left but focusing on the heavier weight as I work through the sets.

2nd set, add 10lb to each side for 9 reps.

3rd set, add 10lb to each side for 8 reps.

4th set, add 10lb to each side for 6 reps.

5th set, add 25lb to each side for 3 then strip 25s on hold. Then 3 for each 10lb and strip on holds.

Pump the 2 45s to failure and force up, hold and negative for 3 or 4.

Depending on my time, routine or overall strength during the sets, I sometimes add an additional strip set, same as set #5. Only about 25% of the time though. Leg day can get pretty rough.

Burn yo chit up :)

What are your favorites?

H

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Bumpin' this up.

Whatcha doin' for calves folks?

H

Akhusker

Akhusker

Dec 25, 2014
Nothing, I'm genetically blessed with footballs for calves. I haven't worked them in years

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I hate you... J/K :D

I know a couple guys like that.

Mine started off pretty small and I had trouble for a while until I just kept at it and tried different things.

I also like using the donkey calf machine. 4 sets only but two sets ankles are turned in and two sets ankles are turned out.

I have to lower the weight a little when turned out because it puts to much pressure on my knees and ankles.

H

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I've been doing slow single leg raises while holding db. The burn is crazy! I have problems growing these lil fukrs so I'm looking to see what works for others as well!

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
BW calf raises... 4 x 100
is my goto but like calf presses on the leg press as well

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I went out of the norm tonight with no holds or negatives and burned those ****ers down for reps, all three exercises :athrashi:

Should be interesting tomorrow :)

H

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
My calves have always been a gutless hooker. I train them 4 days minimum a week to keep them up to par. Lately I've gotten into BFR training, I strap up just below the knee, and get to work and I gotta say, the pump I get is filthy!

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Once I started doing calves daily..3-4 sets of high reps with medium weight I started to see some improvements. My calves are not a "strong point" BUT not a weak point either.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic