Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

SLAP Shoulder surgery recovery

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I have had issues with my shoulders for 15 years and recently had an MRI to pinpoint what is causing the pain. I had thought for years I had a bone spur and likely a rotator cuff tear however after meeting with the doctor this week I found out what the real issue is. Apparently I have a SLAP tear is an injury to the labrum of the shoulder

The injury typically involves the biceps tendon and the labrum, because it is at the superior end of the socket and because it can effect the labrum attachments anterior and posterior to where the biceps attaches in this region, the acronym or abbreviation for this injury is a SLAP lesion.

slap-tear.jpg

My question is have any of you had this procedure before? I'm reading this is a much longer recovery time than rotator cuff surgery what do you recommend to speed up the recovery process?

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Sorry to hear this, are you thinking of having it done? Wish I could offer an answer to your question :(

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Best of luck Admin. Sorry I don't know anyone who has had this done.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
No real help from me on that specific repair, I did have cuff repair + acromioplasty on my right. The surgeon told me my quicker than normal recovery was due to my work I had done prior and the extra work after that sped up the process...

Good luck!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
My father had/has a pretty nasty slap tear in his shoulder. He did it about 15 years ago. He is not a lifter, and was about 50 when it happened. He was told the recovery time from surgery is very lengthy, and at his age, he might still not have made a full recovery, so he opted to do some PT. He will never lift heavy, but he is able to play golf and continue his hobby's without issue.

Sorry I can't be more help...

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I'm considering trying some BPC-157 and maybe adding in TB-500. Surgery is Wednesday and I'm just looking forward to getting it over and beginning the recovery process.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I'm considering trying some BPC-157 and maybe adding in TB-500. Surgery is Wednesday and I'm just looking forward to getting it over and beginning the recovery process.

Hope it all goes well brother. You will be in my prayers.

K

Knotty

Jun 14, 2012
Had it done 2 years ago when I was 48 - and I'm so glad I did! Yes, it's a long recovery, had to take 6 months of lifting and took a year before I was back lifting the same weight I was before surgery. Use the basics of good surgical patient-ism: make sure your surgeon does this proceedure a lot - like has done it hundreds of times. Get a good PT and do your 'homework', a frozen shoulder would suck majorly. About 3-4 month after, you're gonna what to start pushing your self and get back to the gym - DON'T!. I also had a subacromial decompression ( cleaning out of the shoulder joint) and a Mumford proceedure to prevent arthritis in the acromial-clavicular joint at the same time. Long story short, I'm back 100% without any discomfort or 'catching' in my shoulder. Best wishes

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Admin good luck with your surgery I had rotator cuff surgery and it is a leghthy process shoulders are a complicated moving joint but it takes time for it heal 6 months to a year

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010

Wow, that's coming up right away. Good luck with surgery and recovery brother.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I've never even heard of this before. Learn something new every day. Best of luck with the rehab/recovery

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic