Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Cognitive performance

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
I just wanted to ask if you feel your cognitive performance is better when you are regularly exercising compared to when you are not? I'm not referring to feeling better, but purely your cognitive performance.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I just wanted to ask if you feel your cognitive performance is better when you are regularly exercising compared to when you are not? I'm not referring to feeling better, but purely your cognitive performance.

Yes and no.

When I am exercising my quality of life and mental condition are overall much better and I don't get depressed as I do when not exercising.

However, I have noticed a short term impact on my ability to do math and other reasoning skills when I lift very heavy. So, for example, I am doing heavy sets of 3 reps of deadlifts or squats. While doing them I can hardly add 2+2=4. After I stop it takes a little while for that problem to go away. The heavier I go, the longer it takes for me to recover, sometimes up to several hours after I lift.

But the positive effects are long lasting and far outweigh the negatives.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Cog what ?

honestly it freaks me out when people try to talk to me between sets and I have word retrieval problems. Sometimes I come off as sounding drunk.

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
Sorry I should of been more clear. I understand that when lifting weights we do well to see straight never mind sound coherent whilst having a conversation. I wasn't referring to whilst we are actually exercising, but do you think your cognitive performance is better as a result of exercise.

e.g. do you feel mentally sharper in general when you are exercising regularly as oppose to when you are not

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I am definitely sharper when I'm training regularly. I really notice it while on the job. It's a lot of quick thinking, problem solving and math.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I think it can go either way. If you increase your VO2 via exercise and thus increase oxygen to the brain, I suppose it could help. Also, if you are stressed out or mentally fatigued, a good release in the gym may help you get clear. Now on the other hand, if you are stressing your CNS by lifting heavy ass weight or if you are "over training" if there is such a thing, that may have a negative impact. In general I would say that the gym has a negative impact on my personal cognitive performance.

BigGameHunter

BigGameHunter

VIP Member
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, I definitely notice a difference. I feel and think much better when Ive been hitting the gym hard.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I think it can go either way. If you increase your VO2 via exercise and thus increase oxygen to the brain, I suppose it could help. Also, if you are stressed out or mentally fatigued, a good release in the gym may help you get clear. Now on the other hand, if you are stressing your CNS by lifting heavy ass weight or if you are "over training" if there is such a thing, that may have a negative impact. In general I would say that the gym has a negative impact on my personal cognitive performance.

Well said very well said

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
More blood flow to the brain will increase cognitive performance. Exercising helps with that blood flow, as long as you aren't stressing out about exercising.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic