Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

calve exercises for home

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I need some suggestions on how to train calves at home. I lift at home during the winter and really miss the access to the equipment. My calves definitely need work year round thou. I stand on a platform holding a loaded BB but this is very unsteady! Please help!

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Do you have a treadmill? Strap on a weight vest and put the incline up as high as you can.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Learn double unders. Tabata Jump tuck or something of that sort. Basically you jump as high as you can and bring your knees up. Don't squat when you land. Just jump again. You do as many as you can in 20 seconds and then rest 10. Then do it again for 8 rounds. I guarantee that will beat the crap out of your calves. Also, what monsoon said, run with a weighted vest, preferably outside. f&%# treadmills.

Last edited:
Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I'm reading this with interest. I need this also.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Learn double unders. Tabata Jump tuck or something of that sort. Basically you jump as high as you can and bring your knees up. Don't squat when you land. Just jump again. You do as many as you can in 20 seconds and then rest 10. Then do it again for 8 rounds. I guarantee that will beat the crap out of your calves. Also, what monsoon said, run with a weighted vest, preferably outside. f&%# treadmills.

Watch your language tough guy! The point of the treadmill is to control the incline and don't run, walk. We are trying to build calfskin here, not destroy knees and low back.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks CTJ but I can't jump, no impact exercises since back surgery and i dont have treadmill because I was told not to jog anymore :(

Please help me find something Im able to do! I stand on the stairs and do raises but after hundreds of them I still don't feel it

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
You can also do calf raises holding dumbbells.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
You can do calf raises in your stairway. You can do them one legged with a DB in one hand too.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
Do you have access to bodies ? If so do Donkey Calf raises with people astride your back , put a block under your calves for a stretch and lean on something stable . Donkey's are great for at home also cause if you slightly bend your knees you will hit more Soleus (outside of calf ) which otherwise only gets targeted on a seated calf machine .

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
You can also do calf raises holding dumbbells.

Yup heavy dumbell one leg calf raises or maybe hit the gym for legs. Calves take a ton of overloads to grow . Weight plus Reps. Can't be done if you don't have right equipment - hell most gyms now don't .

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Do you have access to bodies ? If so do Donkey Calf raises with people astride your back , put a block under your calves for a stretch and lean on something stable . Donkey's are great for at home also cause if you slightly bend your knees you will hit more Soleus (outside of calf ) which otherwise only gets targeted on a seated calf machine .

Donkeys more of a finishing move . Most people don't weigh enough to overload the calves

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks CTJ but I can't jump, no impact exercises since back surgery and i dont have treadmill because I was told not to jog anymore :(

Please help me find something Im able to do! I stand on the stairs and do raises but after hundreds of them I still don't feel it

You need second opinion . Most post back surgery recommend walking as main source as the upright posture builds stonger spine just by standing upright . I can tell you that first hand from major spine surgey 16 years ago and today I have no limits . Heavy deads. Hypers all part if building strong spine . All standing exercise contributes to the building of calcium in the bones

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic