Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Achieving mind to muscle

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Achieving a mind to muscle connection for me is a great way to feel the muscle being worked. It started for me while giving a good squeeze on the isometric holds. It wasn't something intended, I was concentrating and squeezing with the right amount of weight and it just happened.

Unfortunately, the iso holds were the only place I was "feeling" it. I found that an immediate hard squeeze wasn't the way to go but a soft squeeze to a hard squeeze or flexing over a second or two would let me get a better feel at the beginning.

The next step for me was feeling it through the negative. When I slowed the negative down and kept the squeeze throughout, I kept the connection. I also found that coming back up and holding the squeeze allowed the connection to continue throughout the entire rep. During the movements, I found it best to keep a more medium squeeze to keep the connection until the hold which a harder squeeze was possible.

If you're not sure if you have it or not, you probably don't. When you have it, you'll know it. Concentration on the muscle is a very big factor, hence, "mind to muscle".

The weight can't be to heavy or to light. If it's to heavy, it recruits the surrounding muscle groups and doesn't allow enough tension for the target muscle to be isolated and felt. If it's to light, it still doesn't allow enough tension. It works with compound movements as well with special attention to the weight being used. It gets much easier over time and specific weight doesn't matter as much and rep schemes can be switched up but of course, to heavy or light can still play a big factor in not achieving it.

Now I can start at the beginning of a rep with a squeeze, start slow holding the squeeze, speed up and increase the squeeze with the speed into the hold. It's like one increase of speed and squeeze movement, hold the squeeze tight and slow it through the negative.

I have also found that over the period of a few sets it becomes harder to keep the connection but lowering the weight slightly can help to keep it.

It's an awesome feeling. Some are easier than others, it's still a work in progress for me. Shoulders are pretty much out except some isolation. My shoulders aren't to good these days but I've learned to work with them. It's quite achievable for anyone willing to take a step back from what your used to and you could possibly take a couple steps forward.

For anyone that's doing it, how did you get started?

H

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
No one commented on this for some reason, but I will.

For me I had to work out for a couple years before I knew what anyone was talking about when they said "mind muscle connection". My muscles just weren't big enough yet for me to even know what was going on. I was VERY small when I started out. I would look at pictures of bodybuilders and I didn't even understand how their bodies related to mine. I couldn't figure out WHERE on my body all those muscles were bc I couldn't even see them. I had never seen that my outer and inner tris were different muscles for example. All I knew was that I was sore in my general back-arm area. And my back was just a flat pancake. I couldn't see or feel that my middle back and lats were different muscle, or where my traps started and stopped.

So anyway, as I got bigger and could actually SEE my musculature i started being more and more able to make that connection. I'm a very visual person. I have to look in the mirror and SEE myself getting a pump before I can truly make a mind-muscle connection and get a great workout.

Reactions: HDH
Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
i started being more and more able to make that connection. I'm a very visual person. I have to look in the mirror and SEE myself

Same here pretty much... as mine grew or became more defined it was easier to make that connection.
Also for me, just slowing down and paying attention helped in my workouts as well.

I'm seeing a coach now, I hear these words constantly...
"feel the muscle contracting, make the connection..." it spills over to my other workouts as well...

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
No one commented on this for some reason, but I will.

For me I had to work out for a couple years before I knew what anyone was talking about when they said "mind muscle connection". My muscles just weren't big enough yet for me to even know what was going on. I was VERY small when I started out. I would look at pictures of bodybuilders and I didn't even understand how their bodies related to mine. I couldn't figure out WHERE on my body all those muscles were bc I couldn't even see them. I had never seen that my outer and inner tris were different muscles for example. All I knew was that I was sore in my general back-arm area. And my back was just a flat pancake. I couldn't see or feel that my middle back and lats were different muscle, or where my traps started and stopped.

So anyway, as I got bigger and could actually SEE my musculature i started being more and more able to make that connection. I'm a very visual person. I have to look in the mirror and SEE myself getting a pump before I can truly make a mind-muscle connection and get a great workout.

Funny you should say that about the mirror. I had this up at a few places and one of the most interesting replies I got was mind to muscle while practice posing. It helped to strengthen the mind to muscle during the workouts. I'll be doing it soon so I'll be seeing what it's all about.

H

Reactions: HGH
HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Same here pretty much... as mine grew or became more defined it was easier to make that connection.
Also for me, just slowing down and paying attention helped in my workouts as well.

I'm seeing a coach now, I hear these words constantly...
"feel the muscle contracting, make the connection..." it spills over to my other workouts as well...

Slowing down, paying attention and choosing the correct weight was the most important factor for me in the beginning when I experimented with other muscles.

Sounds like a good coach.

H

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Great post HDH. Personally I was born with pretty good mind-muscle. I can move each ear individually. Each nostril... I can do the wave with my eyebrows. It kind of translates to muscles elsewhere. I would have to say that posing made me better. So similar to you guys. Looking in the mirror and posing and flexing and holding a contraction. It definitely helps.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
Slowing down, paying attention and choosing the correct weight was the most important factor for me in the beginning when I experimented with other muscles.

Sounds like a good coach.

H

He's the best...
Since going back with him Oct 1st we've been working on TUT or tempo for me and it's been great, I'm seeing some real progress.

Concentrating on muscle contraction and TUT also has been good for my 54yr old joints! Recovery is a bit different but managing well.

I pose often, it's a great workout and we'll, practice practice practice

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Great post HDH. Personally I was born with pretty good mind-muscle. I can move each ear individually. Each nostril... I can do the wave with my eyebrows. It kind of translates to muscles elsewhere. I would have to say that posing made me better. So similar to you guys. Looking in the mirror and posing and flexing and holding a contraction. It definitely helps.

Ha,ha, good shit. I forgot I could do that as well. I'm sitting here wiggling my ears, eyebrows and nostrils :athrashi:

H

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
He's the best...
Since going back with him Oct 1st we've been working on TUT or tempo for me and it's been great, I'm seeing some real progress.

Concentrating on muscle contraction and TUT also has been good for my 54yr old joints! Recovery is a bit different but managing well.

I pose often, it's a great workout and we'll, practice practice practice

My routines are based on TUT. I wish I would have trained like this wen I was younger so I wouldn't have some of the problems I do today.

Slow negatives and iso holds with moderate weight will do wonders while throwing in other advanced training methods.

I train like nobody else I've seen and I'm growing faster than any of them too.

H

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I still struggle with this, but when it happens I get the most amazing workout.

Last week I was squatting 405 x 6 reps and it happened with my legs, I just kept the muscles tense throughout each rep (I had to, so I could control that heavy a weight for so many reps). Because of the mind muscle connection that turned into one of my best leg workouts ever!

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I still struggle with this, but when it happens I get the most amazing workout.

Last week I was squatting 405 x 6 reps and it happened with my legs, I just kept the muscles tense throughout each rep (I had to, so I could control that heavy a weight for so many reps). Because of the mind muscle connection that turned into one of my best leg workouts ever!

it's hardest for me with legs. prolly cause I wear pants and can't see em.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
it's hardest for me with legs. prolly cause I wear pants and can't see em.
Have you tried mental imagery? Close your eyes and picture the muscles contracting. That works for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic