Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Progress on leg mass from powerlifting

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I used to train more as a 'bodybuilder' but have switched the focus of much of my training to more a powerlifter type workouts. While I am neither a pure bodybuilder nor powerlifter, I find I enjoy parts of both.

So in doing this, it has been a year or more since I have done more than 5 reps on squats. Contrast this with my training in the past which had lots of higher rep sets...10-12-15 reps. I work the 3-5 rep range consistently now.

I was looking at some pics and I think there is a pretty large difference looking at my legs side by side. There is about an 8 month difference in the two pics. Current pics on right.

I am and continue to believe in training to improve strength as the best way forward to solid mass gain over time. (at least for me). This just reinforces that for me. Thought I would share

59edd7ba-8142-4809-8997-68922041a0e9_zps9a3ab454.jpg

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I keep telling people that you will grow in PL.

But it of course comes down to how you eat. Some will survive on shit food year round and look as such.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hey Mac, how often do you hit quads?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I keep telling people that you will grow in PL.

But it of course comes down to how you eat. Some will survive on shit food year round and look as such.

Yep...have to eat right. I am not a believer in 'clean' food. I just eat appropriate to my needs.

Funny how simple the idea of getting stronger over time and eating right helps you add mass. Might not be sexy....but it works...period.

Hey Mac, how often do you hit quads?

I hit legs once a week. 3-4 working sets and the I will polish off with light leg press or possibly extensions

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I agree Macgyver.. growth, plus I am a firm believer that the muscle density you receive training for power is unparalleled. Awesome progression.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting topic and great progress mac. We have all seen guys get absolutely huge while eating big and training with a power-lifting focus. On the other hand we also occasionally see these scrawny looking power-lifters who look small but are are able to lift a mind boggling amount of weight. Makes me think that the size vs. strength response is determined largely by food intake and genetics. I would be interested to hear your thoughts because that is some amazing progress you have shown in a relatively short time period.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Did your weight change between these photos?

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Interesting topic and great progress mac. We have all seen guys get absolutely huge while eating big and training with a power-lifting focus. On the other hand we also occasionally see these scrawny looking power-lifters who look small but are are able to lift a mind boggling amount of weight. Makes me think that the size vs. strength response is determined largely by food intake and genetics. I would be interested to hear your thoughts because that is some amazing progress you have shown in a relatively short time period.

I think a lot of it is also time spent training and the ability of some guys to be able to really recruit all of their muscle fibers in a lift. When you see 198's squatting over 600, those guys have the ability to get every bit of their muscle fibers into a lift. That comes through time spent training and a lot of it is just genetic. There's some guys that just "have it" when it comes to strength.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think a lot of it is also time spent training and the ability of some guys to be able to really recruit all of their muscle fibers in a lift. When you see 198's squatting over 600, those guys have the ability to get every bit of their muscle fibers into a lift. That comes through time spent training and a lot of it is just genetic. There's some guys that just "have it" when it comes to strength.
2 other factors as well. Leverages and let's not forget the neural component of powerlifting. Controlling the fight or flight response will add to your total.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
. Makes me think that the size vs. strength response is determined largely by food intake and genetics. I would be interested to hear your thoughts because that is some amazing progress you have shown in a relatively short time period.

I very much agree that training response is primarily driven by intake (and of course genetics). We cant do anything about genes, but we sure can control intake. (I am not mentioning AAS because I still believe intake trumps it. Take 2g/week and run a 1000cal deficit...you are NOT going to grow)

I dont believe you need very large surpluses either. I manage to stay at a fairly decent composition year round.

I think the progress is two fold. I have really decided to take squats more seriously. I have had hip issues and for that reason, I did not push my squat that much. I learned to work around it and finally spent about 2 1/2 months working with a sprots chiro doing ART. I was not pushing as hard on my squat as I was on my other lifts. I have gotten into a comfortable mid-500's squat which is not terrible considering the amount of real training I have put in and my size.

I am also eating to grow again. The second reason is only about 6 weeks in. I had all but given up on getting much bigger except slowly over time. I am on TRT and am conservative with anabolic use over and above. My use would best be described as "beginner" cycles or less at times. I figured that I would try to eat to gain again for a little bit over the winter and I am up to 218 now. (8-10lbs is carb bloat over my prior weight so I am up about 3-5 legit lbs). Skinfolds on legs are still same size, so I know the increase in size is not sub-q fat.

Did your weight change between these photos?

In the before was my summer weight of 203-205. In the right I am running a 500cal surplus and sitting at 218. See above but (8-10lbs is carb bloat over my prior weight so I am up about 3-5 legit lbs). Skinfolds on legs are still same size, so I know the increase in size is not sub-q fat.

No other measurements are up like my legs....arms are the same...etc. Something just decided to grow and fill out in my legs and I am surprised as how low my working sets are in reps.

Last edited:
P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Nice noticable increase in size bro.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Nice noticable increase in size bro.

Thanks man. At times it feels like progress is all in your head. It was not until I compared pics that I felt I could actually see it. It is one of the benefits of taking good progress pics in same lighting and same pose. I have them going back years and even when progress slows down, it is nice to go back and see how far you have come. It really helps when motivation is on the low end, or one starts to feel like progress is not going well...etc.

Thanks for the support man!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic