What's New?

Dispelling the myth of exogenous t3 and permanent thyroid damage

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

Ending the myth that long term T3 use can damage the thyroid gland[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]One of the most persistent myths in bodybuilding is that T3 use has to be limited in time and/or dose to prevent damage to the thyroid gland. You see bros posting about non-existent people who are supposedly on T3 forever because they used too much of it and destroyed their thyroid gland. NONSENSE!

Nandi (RIP) researched and wrote a great article on T3, which I have stuck in the articles section. Please read it.

This is what I consider the most important myth-busting part of Nandi's article:

Like the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, the thyroid gland is under negative feedback control. When t3 levels go up, TSH secretion is suppressed. This is the mechanism whereby exogenous thyroid hormone suppresses natural thyroid hormone production. There is a difference though between the way anabolic steroids suppress natural testosterone production and the way t3 suppresses the thyroid. With steroids, the longer and heavier the cycle is, the longer your natural testosterone is suppressed. This is not the case with exogenous thyroid hormone.

An early study that looked at thyroid function and recovery under the influence of exogenous thyroid hormone was undertaken by Greer (2). He looked at patients who were misdiagnosed as being hypothyroid and put on thyroid hormone replacement for as long as 30 years. When the medication was withdrawn, their thyroids quickly returned to normal.

Here is a remark about Greer's classic paper from a later author:

"In 1951, Greer reported the pattern of recovery of thyroid function after stopping suppressive treatment with thyroid hormone in euthyroid [normal] subjects based on sequential measurements of their thyroidal uptake of radioiodine. He observed that after withdrawal of exogenous thyroid therapy, thyroid function, in terms of radioiodine uptake, returned to normal in most subjects within two weeks. He further observed that thyroid function returned as rapidly in those subjects whose glands had been depressed by several years of thyroid medication as it did in those whose gland had been depressed for only a few days" (3)

These results have been subsequently verified in several studies. (3)(4) So contrary to what has been stated in the bodybuilding literature, there is no evidence that long term thyroid supplementation will somehow damage your thyroid gland.

I'm going to stick this here for a while also, because it is an important point.[/FONT]​

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks for that brother.
I'm about to start t3 for contest prep so this was interesting.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Grabbed this from another board... I had done a very comprehensive write up on Greer et al. Study back on Anabolic Paradise which stated the same outcomes and findings... It's seriously a common misconception ... The thyroid is a VERY resilient organ, as is the liver and others

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Grabbed this from another board... I had done a very comprehensive write up on Greer et al. Study back on Anabolic Paradise which stated the same outcomes and findings... It's seriously a common misconception ... The thyroid is a VERY resilient organ, as is the liver and others

I'm learning.
I really appreciate you putting this up

inhuman88

inhuman88

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2014
Excellent post. was just about to pick up more t3 myself

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Anabolic Paradise? Tell me more about this magical place.

Jimmyinkedup

Jimmyinkedup

Aug 22, 2012
Rememeber reading this when he posted it at CEM all those years ago. Nandi is sorely missed. RIP Karl.

Nitro

Nitro

Nov 19, 2014
i had been doing some research on this as well due to the fact that i have done T3 for 6 months at a time. i'll have to dig up some of the stuff i came up with. but just from personal experience i have to agree with OPs findings. 6 months of some pretty high doses and really no so called rebound effects causing me to gain any excess amount of body fat after discontinuance. I have actually found short blasts of small doses help keep the excess fat off on high calorie off season mass cycles as well, making for a much leaner off season while adding lean muscle. Excellent info bro.

Nitro

Nitro

Nov 19, 2014
i had been doing some research on this as well due to the fact that i have done T3 for 6 months at a time. i'll have to dig up some of the stuff i came up with. but just from personal experience i have to agree with OPs findings. 6 months of some pretty high doses and really no so called rebound effects causing me to gain any excess amount of body fat after discontinuance. I have actually found short blasts of small doses help keep the excess fat off on high calorie off season mass cycles as well, making for a much leaner off season while adding lean muscle. Excellent info bro.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I've never believed any other way. I've lived it. Most studies are flawed and most forum knowledge. ?????

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I was always steered clear of t3 due to that myth. Glad to know it's debunked. A t3/clen stack was something I always thought about trying.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic