Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Rest/pause training

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
There are lots of ways to*pack on muscle*and get Hulk strong. But one way that continues to be a favorite of serious lifters is*rest-pause training, which calls for you to take short breaks (15-25 seconds) while moving submaximal loads. This principle takes advantage of your body’s explosive energy stores – collectively known as phosphagen – helping you to exert maximum force on each work segment. This can mean more total pounds lifted per workout, usually with in less time and with less fatigue. Now, science is weighing in, validating decades of anecdotal evidence about the benefits of rest-pause.

One study published in the*Journal Of Science & Medicine In Sport*set out to compare muscle recruitment, maximal force, and rate of force development changes following different strength training regimens in the squat. The kicker is that they all used the same load – 80 percent of their*one rep max*– and all used the same volume (weight, sets and reps).

The study consisted of 14 males with weight-training experience. Group A did five sets of four reps with 80 percent of their one rep max with a three-minute rest interval. Group B completed the same protocol with a 20-second rest. The rest pause group (C) took the initial set for as many reps as possible, rested for 20 seconds and did subsequent sets for as many reps as possible until 20 reps total were reached.

Maximal isometric squat force (static) and rate of force development (RFD) were measured before each training protocol and five minutes after.

ADVANTAGES OF REST-PAUSE TRAINING

The results concluded the rest-pause group took an average of 103 seconds to complete all 20 reps. Group A took an average of 780 seconds to complete all 20 reps and group B’s average was 180 seconds. Post-workout showed no greater decreases in RFD or maximal force production in the rest-pause group. Increased motor unit recruitment was also observed in the rest-pause group.

That bears summarizing: The rest-pause group recruited more motor units, completed the same work in less time and didn’t cause any greater post-workout fatigue.*

Need more convincing? A separate study in theJournal of Translational Medicine*found that arest-pause program*protocol with less volume and the same load was accomplished in nearly half the time of a traditional resistance training program. However, the post-workout resting energy expenditure was much greater with the rest-pause group. In other words, folks, the group that trained rest-pause style were burning more calories at rest than those training in a traditional style, in this study, for a full day after their final rep.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks brother for that post! I just got home from using rest-pause on calves. I use everwhere. It's an incredible technique!

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks brother for that post! I just got home from using rest-pause on calves. I use everwhere. It's an incredible technique!

I use it so often usually when i go heavy. Example for legs, i will use a weight on the leg press machine that i can only get about 8 reps max. Instead of doing all 8 reps i will do 5...rest for about 10-15 seconds, bang out another 5, rest, 5 more, rest, then last 5. Rest times vary in each block or group of 5. I do what i have to untill i reach targeted number of reps.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I do that too. I love it! It's incredibly intense and painful but tremendous for shock growth.
It's an important weapon in the arsenal of techniques for getting huge!
I devour it!

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
That's how I feel about it Bm7. Another awesome tool in the bag of tricks.

Lately I've been using it for leg press and machine bench. I like it on the machine bench that has the foot pedal to take tension off. Shoulders have problems so it's the best for not having to rack and unrack for me.

I like to max out then use it for the final touches.

H

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
**** sake we have another copy and paster to compete with F.I.S.T

P.s Nice article :D

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
**** sake we have another copy and paster to compete with F.I.S.T

P.s Nice article :D
I was waiting for FIST to get booted so i could be the copy/paste whore... da'fukk.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I was waiting for FIST to get booted so i could be the copy/paste whore... da'fukk.

You little slut . . .

Nice article btw. I don't care if it is cut and paste cause it's a good one!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
There are lots of ways to*pack on muscle*and get Hulk strong. But one way that continues to be a favorite of serious lifters is*rest-pause training, which calls for you to take short breaks (15-25 seconds) while moving submaximal loads. This principle takes advantage of your body’s explosive energy stores – collectively known as phosphagen – helping you to exert maximum force on each work segment. This can mean more total pounds lifted per workout, usually with in less time and with less fatigue. Now, science is weighing in, validating decades of anecdotal evidence about the benefits of rest-pause.

One study published in the*Journal Of Science & Medicine In Sport*set out to compare muscle recruitment, maximal force, and rate of force development changes following different strength training regimens in the squat. The kicker is that they all used the same load – 80 percent of their*one rep max*– and all used the same volume (weight, sets and reps).

The study consisted of 14 males with weight-training experience. Group A did five sets of four reps with 80 percent of their one rep max with a three-minute rest interval. Group B completed the same protocol with a 20-second rest. The rest pause group (C) took the initial set for as many reps as possible, rested for 20 seconds and did subsequent sets for as many reps as possible until 20 reps total were reached.

Maximal isometric squat force (static) and rate of force development (RFD) were measured before each training protocol and five minutes after.

ADVANTAGES OF REST-PAUSE TRAINING

The results concluded the rest-pause group took an average of 103 seconds to complete all 20 reps. Group A took an average of 780 seconds to complete all 20 reps and group B’s average was 180 seconds. Post-workout showed no greater decreases in RFD or maximal force production in the rest-pause group. Increased motor unit recruitment was also observed in the rest-pause group.

That bears summarizing: The rest-pause group recruited more motor units, completed the same work in less time and didn’t cause any greater post-workout fatigue.*

Need more convincing? A separate study in theJournal of Translational Medicine*found that arest-pause program*protocol with less volume and the same load was accomplished in nearly half the time of a traditional resistance training program. However, the post-workout resting energy expenditure was much greater with the rest-pause group. In other words, folks, the group that trained rest-pause style were burning more calories at rest than those training in a traditional style, in this study, for a full day after their final rep.

Bump to the top , not because any one study says so because studies mean nothing . However bodybuilders live their practice seeing more posts about various approaches like this , I'll tip my hat and salute ! Definately rest pause approach is worthy of study and practice so if you never tried it, definately make part of your training

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic