Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Be careful with ibuprofen

S

snuff-sann

Nov 14, 2010
I have taken tons of ibuprofen over the years for DOMS, aches and pains, headaches, etc... I've been training really hard lately and trying to deal with chronic DOMS in my legs, etc... I've been popping 4x ibuprofen at a go.

I noticed that the area just under my eyes have gotten really swollen in the past couple months, i've been searching around and swollen under eye bags / face edema is a sign of kidney damage.... I thought of what I have been taking and ibuprofen is the worst offender. I just threw out my bottles and hoping it turns around....

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/analgesicnephropathy/

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
I have taken tons of ibuprofen over the years for DOMS, aches and pains, headaches, etc... I've been training really hard lately and trying to deal with chronic DOMS in my legs, etc... I've been popping 4x ibuprofen at a go.

I noticed that the area just under my eyes have gotten really swollen in the past couple months, i've been searching around and swollen under eye bags / face edema is a sign of kidney damage.... I thought of what I have been taking and ibuprofen is the worst offender. I just threw out my bottles and hoping it turns around....

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/analgesicnephropathy/

Sorry to hear it brother.Its a tough game were in an all of us go thru injuries where we will rely on a host of painkillers to help us get thru it.But like anything,even Ibuprofin can be abused and have a plethora of ill side effects that come with that abuse.Unfortunately far too many abuse much worse things than ibuprofin and become just another statistic in the presecrition drug junkies.All with the recommendations and applause of their doctors of course so they unwittingly think nothing is wrong with it.

My recommendation to everyone is to search out natural pain killers to help ween you off of these things. Ive posted a few threads on natural pain killers to check out brother.While of course they arent meant to be an instant fix but a hell of a lot healthier than the alternative.Personally,ive got a pretty high tolerance for pain and would rather deal with a little discomfort than to get hooked on crap that only hurts me further in the long term.

Good luck with it brother.If you like,I can forward you the links to the threads I was telling you about.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
That's a lot of ibuprofen to be taking, and it would be recommended to go to a doc to get some tests done to check your kidneys.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Is facial edema your only symptom?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
4 Advil every how often (days a week, times a day)?

I take 4 at a time when I need them and I don't take them daily or multiple times a day unless the first dose is not doing the trick.

A blanket statement taking 4 Advil at once doesn't really mean anything without the rest of the info.

Tray Aleve, you only need 1 or 2 a day.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
And for the doms. Drink more water. If it's really bad do something the next day to move some blood through the areas. Activity with the sore muscles helps more than anything.

brutus79

brutus79

Dec 27, 2013
4 Advil every how often (days a week, times a day)?

I take 4 at a time when I need them and I don't take them daily or multiple times a day unless the first dose is not doing the trick.

A blanket statement taking 4 Advil at once doesn't really mean anything without the rest of the info.

Tray Aleve, you only need 1 or 2 a day.
What LK said. Aleve is far kinder on my stomach and does a better job pain relief-wise... if I am taking too much advil my right eardrum starts to flutter. Very irritating.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I realize doms is uncomfortable but is that something that warrants ibuprofen ?
Admittedly I take very few medications willingly and generally will try water or a hot bath first.
Curious if many of you actually take meds for doms.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Admittedly I take very few medications willingly and generally will try water or a hot bath first.
Curious if many of you actually take meds for doms.

Mews for doms......nope. doesn't help anyway. Just needs some man up. If the op. Is so sore with doms. That a pain reliever is needed something is wrong or they are in the wrong activity. My.02

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Admittedly I take very few medications willingly and generally will try water or a hot

Dbl. Post..................

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
And for the doms. Drink more water. If it's really bad do something the next day to move some blood through the areas. Activity with the sore muscles helps more than anything.

I prefer when you rub me with the Tiger Balm and whisper "me love you long time" in my ear. Makes the soreness go away in minutes.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic