Members
Latest Member
scottmt77

Back Arch

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I've seen a bunch of videos with Louie in them and when the guys are squatting and dead lifting he is yelling ARCH ARCH ARCH ARCH.

Is he referring to arching your back? As in bending getting an arch in your back to where you feel your lower back muscles engage?

Does this protect your lower back from injury?

Is there a technique to doing it?

I haven't been trying this arch when I squat or dead lift, but today I was moving some bags around and I tried the arch idea and I felt my low back muscles engage and it felt like they were supporting the spine.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
That's great observation turbo, I'll give it a shot. Anything to protect the back is what I need

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I think I'm going to also try using it 5.0

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for sharing FIST. That's a great article on the arch for bench!

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
My thread on this not good enough for you Turbo??huh??

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
My thread on this not good enough for you Turbo??huh??

Hahahah, the arch I'm referring to is on the squat and dead lift.

Where vertical pressure is placed on the spine.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You don't arch the back on a conventional deadlift. Or really on a sumo for that matter but some do.

You arch your back on a squat to keep the bar over the hips and weight on the heels while keeping the chest up.

If your chest caves/ upper back rounds over you will miss your lift.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
You don't arch the back on a conventional deadlift. Or really on a sumo for that matter but some do.

You arch your back on a squat to keep the bar over the hips and weight on the heels while keeping the chest up.

If your chest caves/ upper back rounds over you will miss your lift.

If you were to arch and put force backwards, it seems to engage the back muscles. So would that mean more support for the spine and disc?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you were to arch and put force backwards, it seems to engage the back muscles. So would that mean more support for the spine and disc?
If you are squatting and any part of you is not tight or engaged you are in trouble.

But arching the back isn't to tighten your lower back. You do that by taking air into the abdomen and using that pressure to push out against the abdominal wall. This is how a belt helps.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
If you are squatting and any part of you is not tight or engaged you are in trouble.

But arching the back isn't to tighten your lower back. You do that by taking air into the abdomen and using that pressure to push out against the abdominal wall. This is how a belt helps.

Ok, that's what I've been doing is putting my belt on and squeezing out against it pretty hard.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Here's my next question.

When you get into position for a conventional dead lift, should your back be arched or neutral? Your back shouldn't be bent forward any right?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic