Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bench press arch

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
It shortens the range of motion and takes pressure off of your chest.

You don't have to have an arch, its just a tool that you can use.

It helps prevent pec tears also because it helps relieve stress on your pec.

Its more of a technique to use if you're going for powerlifting or increasing your bench press strength.

I think I would use just a small arch if I were training for bodybuilding or physique goals.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
That guy does, why I don't know. I wonder what his numbers are? Nothing against people who arch, but this guy doesn't inspire me.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I use a small arch, I find it helps me with setting up my shoulders and traps.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Strength? No. I'm not a powerlifter so maybe I'm talking out of my ass but I see no strength in this. This just says "I'm going to take advantage of the rules of this competition."

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
It looks horrible. I've always been taught to keep your back flat against the bench, I don't know if it helps in competition but for help in building strength in your chest I can't imagine doing that.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
It looks horrible. I've always been taught to keep your back flat against the bench, I don't know if it helps in competition but for help in building strength in your chest I can't imagine doing that.

It depends on your goals. Your bench press strength involves more triceps and shoulders than they are given credit for.

Dlth what are your goals? And how much do you bench?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Its like a decline press. I can decline more than I can bench so the arch let's the pecs work like they are in a decline.

If you can't decline more that your flat the arch probably won't help but I think most can decline more than bench at least when they are fresh.

Last edited:
DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
It depends on your goals. Your bench press strength involves more triceps and shoulders than they are given credit for.

Dlth what are your goals? And how much do you bench?

It's not something I'm interesting in trying, more so just curious if anybody does this.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
I try to do this but I'm about as flexible as a block of wood generally, so my attempt at this looks like a normal small arch. 0_o

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Powerlifting isn't all about strength. Much of it is biomechanics, leverages and such. This is a primary example.

The women tend to be better at this. My back needs some work before I can start arching again like i used to.

This doesn't work for everyone though. It depends on which muscles you primarily bench with.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That helps to keep the tension on the pecs. Where a PL couldn't give a damn less about squeezing the pecs for hypertrophy but care more about flaring the lats and cutting our range of motion down it serves is quite well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic