Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Any welders here?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I am getting back in to learning how to weld. I learned when I was around 18, but never did much with it passed learning the basics. I went out to the wife's family's farm over the weekend and had her uncle give me a crash course in welding to refresh my knowledge on it. I had forgotten how difficult welding was!!

So I am looking for a mig welder to purchase now. My wife's uncle just told me to buy a welder from Harbor Freight for $100, but the more I read, the more people advise not to do that because of the problems they can give you. I also noticed, while using his $100 mig welder, it wasn't very smooth in the weld and as the line fed through, it seemed to have drops in current and the line wouldn't melt for just a split second and cause it to poke in to my weld. I am not sure if that was from my lack of experience or lack of a good welder.

Anyway, would love to hear your advice. I have heard that Lincoln is a good welder for the money, but people keep throwing Miller out there, but Miller runs a minimum of around $700 for their cheapest mig welder.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
For mig, grab a miller. The millermatic auto sets are great quality welders. Can't go wrong.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I wouldn't waste money on a cheap welder. Weld integrity is very dependent on wire feed and gas consistency, as well as wire and output quality of the machine. This as much as skill. I would buy the autoset 180, that'll likely do whatever you're looking to do.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
What are you looking to weld? Hobbiest? I'm a steel fabricator / ironworker. What are you looking for? A cheap Harbor Freight will be fine if you going to weld light steel once or twice a month. You can burn through 7 of them before you get to the price of a cheap miller or lincoln.

If you don't weld much, I'd be willing to bet your bad beads are more the result of the indian then the arrow.

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
shortz,

Having the current too low or the feed rate too high can cause the problems you describe. Usually they are constant, not intermittent, though.

I am just a hobby welder, but I have welded a lot of stuff, including some pretty big projects, with my Lincoln welders. What projects do you see yourself using it for?

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
Century is the bargain its made in the USA by Marquette.who makes Lincoln

Last edited:
D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
" also noticed, while using his $100 mig welder, it wasn't very smooth in the weld and as the line fed through, it seemed to have drops in current and the line wouldn't melt for just a split second and cause it to poke in to my weld. I am not sure if that was from my lack of experience or lack of a good welder. "

Probably both, but mainly it is the adjustments to heat and wire speed being adjusted correctly, which for some people can take a long time to tune into. I like to weld hot and fast, meaning higher current and also higher feed rate. When you run into problems like wire not melting adjust one or the other, not both at the same time. This can give you an idea of what is going on. As for welders, cheap ones can work but there are a lot more potential problems with them. If money is not a big concern go with lincoln or miller, you will not be displeased

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I was a structual steel welder for 15 yrs, ironworker and Boilermaker. I would advise you DO NOT buy a welding machine from Harbor Freight, even if you are just getting into it. Look on Craigslist for a used one, Lincoln, Miller and even Hobart, all good quality machines. I take it you will be doing light gauge stuff out of your garage and stuff, so you should be able to find run that runs on 110 or 220, thats plenty enough to power the stuff you will be doing. Learn it and get good at it, the world will always need good welders. Plus if u get good enough, u can pick up side jobs and make some decent money, welding ornamental iron and residential work on your spare time. Have fun. Remember, welders do it hotter :)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Mostly light work around the house and for a hobby. I might plan on doing some exhaust work as well, but from what I understand, I have to use a stick welder to do aluminum, don't I? I think I read flux line Mig welding won't work on light alloys

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Lowes has a Lincoln Pro mig 140 for $529. Is that a good one for all my purposes? I assume that 140 and 180 are the amps, is that correct? Is 140 enough to do most jobs?

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
You can weld aluminum with a mig.. stick welding aluminum sucks lol. You have to hand aluminum wire, and in most cases a spool gun.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic