Members
Latest Member
pbtom

New to the sport

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
Hey all,

I was advised to introduce myself on this forum by another member in another thread, so here i go.
New to powerlifting. I have lifted weights my whole adult life but have never really had focus or goals, just trying to stay strong and stay in some kind of shape haha. I am 6' 195 lbs right now. Feel as if i am in pretty good shape overall(no six pack but no gut either). No real goals in sight yet since i am new other than keep increasing lifts, clean up form and be consistant with it, and also to stay disciplined. Will be lifting in a conjugate type system. Like i said, i am new so any and all info, tips, critiques etc.. are welcome. Thanks for reading :)

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Great to have you brother. Fellow powerlifter here. I'm sure you'll find all the resources and info you need. There's a good bunch of guys and gals here. Enjoy.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Welcome to the den, start a log and let us help!

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Hey all,

I was advised to introduce myself on this forum by another member in another thread, so here i go.
New to powerlifting. I have lifted weights my whole adult life but have never really had focus or goals, just trying to stay strong and stay in some kind of shape haha. I am 6' 195 lbs right now. Feel as if i am in pretty good shape overall(no six pack but no gut either). No real goals in sight yet since i am new other than keep increasing lifts, clean up form and be consistant with it, and also to stay disciplined. Will be lifting in a conjugate type system. Like i said, i am new so any and all info, tips, critiques etc.. are welcome. Thanks for reading :)

Round IS a shape, but welcome aboard regardless!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Welcome to the board. I agree with the comments above. Start a lifting log in the "Member Online Journals" and post your workouts. I'm relatively new to powerlifting myself. I started powerlifting type training in April of last year. And my first competition was October of last year. I've been in three powerlifting competitions (March and August of this year were my other two). I definitely think competing is really a good way to build enthusiasm and motivation for powerlifting.

I had great initial success with Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program and you can find some threads here that discuss it (here, here, here, and here). I then moved to Lilly's Cube Method and then created my own variation of it.

A couple of threads that I think are pretty solid reads are Porky's "So You Want To Be A Powerlifter" and the Admin's "Beginner Powerlifting Tips".

Hope this is of some benefit.

Last edited:
D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
Thanks everyone for your support so far. CL9, i will look into all those articles/posts. I have worked on wendlers 5/3/1 at the beginging of the year for 3 months. It was a good plan but after three months i was a bit stronger but my endurance was crap...(probably my fault not the programs). But again thanks everyone, look forward to working with everyone

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Thanks everyone for your support so far. CL9, i will look into all those articles/posts. I have worked on wendlers 5/3/1 at the beginging of the year for 3 months. It was a good plan but after three months i was a bit stronger but my endurance was crap...(probably my fault not the programs). But again thanks everyone, look forward to working with everyone
Read the ebook if you haven't, Jim prescribes conditioning 3x a week.. that should cure your endurance issue.

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
What are your max lifts?

Bench: without spotters and no wrist wraps 315. I have got more in me but usually do not have help in the gym.
Squat: Was 375 with belt and no spotter, have had a small hip problem so i have not hit heavy weights for awhile, but feeling good and getting back into heavy now.
Dead: Never really tried maxing out because my lower back is a tad weak, which i have been working on to fix, but i have pulled 365 with belt.

I am working on getting more help in the gym so i can push myself harder on those max lifts and last reps.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Welcome! Hope you will start a log here!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic