Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Best bars for squat, deadlift, and bench

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
Hello all,

I know i am new to this forum, but what do you guys think are the best bars for squat, deadlift, and bench. Just curious what everyone ones opinions are on brand and style(i.e. knurling, thinckness etc...).

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Interested to hear this as well. I have a Pendlay for weightlifting that I love.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
There are tons of options. Benching, squatting, and deadlifting all have their own respective "bests." Olympic lifters use bars with more whip. The deadlift bar is going to be more aggressive and slightly smaller in diameter than a squat bar. Then you've got specialty bars for different goals.. ssb, buffalo, swiss, cambered, etc

D

dzul25

Oct 10, 2014
I understand the differences. I was just curious what peoples personal preferances were. Sorry if my introductory post wasnt very specific :( Also, thank you for your information.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Iron wolfe squat bar. Buffalo bar and ssb are fun too. No particular make

Texas power bar for bench

Okie deadlift bar

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I understand the differences. I was just curious what peoples personal preferances were. Sorry if my introductory post wasnt very specific :( Also, thank you for your information.
My mistake brother. Just fyi, before you get flamed lol.. post an intro thread. Tell us about yourself and your stats/goals.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I use Capps bars for squats and bench. I like an Okie for pulling.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Okie or Texas bar for deadlifts.

Texas or Iron Wolf bench bars - the 50lb ones with extended collars so your spotters have something to hold on to.

Iron Wolf squat bar...... Mastodons are okay but the knurling isn't as good as the Iron Wolf.

This is what most federations use in contest too...... unless you compete IPF - then just get the one IPF bar.... brand doesn't matter.

Things like the bench bar might seem like overkill to a newer lifter. The extended collars make it nice for spotters on a 1000lb bench, but wouldn't be necessary for a 400..... BUT it's important to train on the same equipment you'll compete with if you get the choice to.

As for training - the first specialty bar should be a Safety Squat Bar (SSB) - brand doesn't matter.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Texas for Bench and Deads
Buffalo and SSB Bars are fun for Squats.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
I have Texas Power Bar(1200lb test) and it has been a great one for everything so far. but one of those thicker 55lb squat bars is in my future lol.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I have Texas Power Bar(1200lb test) and it has been a great one for everything so far. but one of those thicker 55lb squat bars is in my future lol.

Texas squat bar is the only bar I squat with... 55lbs bar makes all the difference. It'll have more center knurling so it stays put better. It's stiffer so it doesn't flex. It's also longer so the safety chains don't get in the way.

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016
We started using a Bulldog bar for squats mid summer. It's 65lbs and is a monster and took some adjustment. The feel in the hand and across the shoulder was so different compared to a 45lb bar, just feels brutal and massive. It fits nice on the traps and the smaller bars just feel odd now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic