Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

High school teachers!

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I've talked about my girlfriend's son in the past and him trying to lose weight. Well this year he is taking weight lifting as a school course. He was telling me some of the workouts they have been doing. Maybe I'm old and things have changed but they are doing sets with as low as ONE rep. It's been a long time since he lifted in the gym. He is 6 weeks into the class and has had workouts such as 3x3 and going 1rm. Am I wrong in thinking a kid with 5 weeks of "training" shouldn't be doing 1 rep sets?

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I did "advanced weight training" in high school, we were never allowed to 1rm, we could do 3s and 5s but only after we were signed off on by coach, and we used adjusted numbers for our 1rm…..

I am with you, 5 weeks isnt long enough to get the form situated for young kids…

Vikingquest

Vikingquest

Dec 30, 2013
I took weightlifting in college. We did 1rm to assess our percentages for our workout weight. It's not Uncommon to use 1rm yo figure out 50%, 75%, 90% of 1rm. Plus, spotters are there. I don't think it's bad for some maybe 16+ to do once month to assess where they are. When you start throwing 250+ on the bars it gets a little more worrisome.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Personally, I think if he's new to lifting they should just have him run 5x5. He's not far enough along in his training to %'s imho.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
and its just a high school course, he is in 10th grade and all about numbers. I benched this or I squatted that. At that age its one upping and with no true training I see him getting broken! Five is the LOWEST I would let him go. And he showed me a video of a hammer strength machine called the "jammer" and he looked like a can of soup in a wicker basket, it was just a mess.

Vikingquest

Vikingquest

Dec 30, 2013
Well, I guess it's about the year. I'm almost 40 but they had us on the bigger, faster, stronger program for football at 13 years old.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Teach him to look after his spine and he'll probably be fine. Try to support him getting involved rather than bagging the program to hell so much eh? Kid's probably thinking he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't....

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
He actually asked if I could just go teach their class! Sadly his back is already messed up and there have been a few days he can't even walk due to it being messed up. I give him credit for going to the class, sadly I had to cancel his gym membership since he hasn't gone at all this month. I won't pay for something he is going to haphazardly use. He wants the look but doesn't do the work, I tried, his mom tried, I gave him all the tools and material to build, he just didn't do anything with it.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
There might be a way you can sign off on training him in the gym and him get the credit for it as a class

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic