Members
Latest Member
pbtom

How to use a lifting belt properly...?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
As many of you know, I have always lifted without a belt.

I've overcome lower back and abdominal issues and, as my numbers climb higher, I feel I can responsibly toss a belt into the fray.

One question is: "How?"

Others:
What is the proper placement for a belt on the rack, on the bench and on the platform?

Heavy sets only?

Breathing techniques?

What's all this "pushing your abs against the belt" stuff?

Let's here it fellas... Time to go to the next level!

P

powerdoc

Nov 8, 2012
Bracing has to do with tightening the abs. It is not pushing them out or sucking them in. As you tighten them they will push into the belt. Wear the belt tight but not too tight that you cannot get a full breath. As for breathing, hold the breath throughout the whole rep. This is known as a valsalva maneuver and this is safe to do for one or two reps.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd have to disagree with powerdoc.

When deadlifting it shouldn't be to tight b/c it can hinder you getting into position but for squatting you should crank it down where it's uncomfortable. Most of what we do is very painful... ie. having someone wrap your knees, etc.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
What about velcro vs. regular and why? I don't think I need one yet, but I have seen both and wondered if one one better than the other or if it just a preference thing.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
When deadlifting it shouldn't be to tight b/c it can hinder you getting into position but for squatting you should crank it down where it's uncomfortable. Most of what we do is very painful... ie. having someone wrap your knees, etc.

I will second this. Hence why I use a different belt for squats and deads. Inzer lever for squats and a plain old 2 prong for deads.

For me I always try to go as heavy as I can before using the belt and as my belted squats/deads go up I make sure my unbelted work keeps pace.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
No as for percentages... I don't break it out till I'm around the 85% mark on my squats and pulls. I don't wear on for any of my assisting lifts.

I'm not a big fan of velcro belts. I've worn schiek and valeo and they both fold over to easily for my liking. Wore them when I was Oly lifting. I've hear that Spud Inc. belts are better but I've never tried one.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I'd have to disagree with powerdoc.

I have seen broken ribs as a result of this as well. Belt slightly high and too tight.

I am curious about something though. About a year ago I saw a technique getting popular where the belt is being worn much higher. It's up from the area of the lower back, but still allowing you to push your abs in to it. Do you have any input on this?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've seen this as well but I don't have much to say about it b/c I've never tried it to see if there is a noticeable difference when wearing it as high as some do now.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
That higher position is only for the deadlift tho I think. I was under the impression it came about because rippetoe said that the thicker belts hinder some folks getting into the right start position and should therefore use a thinner (say 3") for deads and at the same time he said a few placed the belt higher for the same reason. Suddenly the higher position was in vogue but as is usual, the theory behind it got lost.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That higher position is only for the deadlift tho I think. I was under the impression it came about because rippetoe said that the thicker belts hinder some folks getting into the right start position and should therefore use a thinner (say 3") for deads and at the same time he said a few placed the belt higher for the same reason. Suddenly the higher position was in vogue but as is usual, the theory behind it got lost.

Yes, the higher position is only for pulls. It's not for squats or bench.

I can pretty much guarantee you that it wasn't Rip who came up with the idea. The first person I saw wear their belt higher was George Leeman... aka. the baby slayer.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
I wasn't saying it wash his idea per se. Just he has a lot of followers.

A

andrew051270

Oct 12, 2014
After 30 years of almost constant training I have just had to endure surgery on a umbilical hernia, I truly believe that this is due to me only wearing a belt for the heaviest of lifts, I will now be using my belt for moderate weights, at 44 I'm not ready to go through that painful surgery again.....lesson learned!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic