Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

GVT questions

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
I have been doing DC for some time but it has morphed into something other than DC. GVT looks interesting to me. My main goal is hypertrophy. I have a few questions about GVT.

Advanced routine or not. I am 6’, 217. Deadlift 405 3 x 6, touch and go. Squat 405 3 x 5, full squat. DB flat bench 3 x 10 125s. I don’t always do squats and DL in that rep range, it was just to give you an idea of my level.

I can only make it to the gym 3 days a week. Is GVT a good idea with this time constraint? It does not fit the GVT template.

Any input is appreciated.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
There are a few people here that are very experienced with GVT. I'm hoping they chime in and give you advice! Best of luck bro

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
It has potential to serve you very well.
The program can be done as written or improvised with regards to your time constraints.
What is crucial to the program is it's design to create a lengthy time under tension and intensity through high volume that triggers hypertrophy.

With 3 days a week you could run a day for chest, a day for legs and then a day for back.
On each day you will run one compound exercise for 10 sets of 10 reps. You will aim to use 60% of your one rep max for your weight. You will have to experiment with this as the idea is to complete all 10 sets with hardship and extreme fatigue but without total failure. You will have 90 seconds to rest between the sets.
Then you will move to two other concentrated exercises each for 3 sets of 12 reps with only 60 seconds rest between sets.
You run this for 6 weeks and then the program goes to a 3 week change up.
The program seeks to avoid stagnation so each week for the major compound exercise it should change.

More soon. On an I phone

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Ok I'm back

As you use this program if you like it you can then take it to advanced levels. This means Chest and back could be done together, there would be a day for legs and then a day for arms and shoulders.

There's lots of good articles online about it and how you can mix it up and make it serve you.

I did it in simple form from May to July and then went to advanced form from July till just now.. Check out my log on here.

I took measurments etc... and made great gains. Increased almost all body parts by 1 or more inches. I loved the program and found it addictive and euphoric.

As you read the program variations the things that are always the same is 10 sets of 10 for short rest periods with a compound excercise. So on a leg day you may start that with a Squat one week for 10 sets of 10 then move to a press for 3 sets of 12 for the shorter rest time. Next week start with Press as your major movement then do a Squat as the shorter one. But it should always change.

Happy to answer any questions. I absolutely improvised a lot but the core always held force. I loved it.

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
Thanks Bullmuscle. I am reading through your log and will be back with more questions. One for now. I am assuming from your other lifts that your squat poundages are not 60% of your 1RM. How did you get your starting weights. I figure I could get a clean single with 425 or so, but I don't see getting 10x10 with 60 % of that.

Last edited:
Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
That's right. I have imbalances I'm working to correct.
You just have to experiment and find the weight.
In the later part of my log legs days had supersets: squats with Romanian deads then 90 seconds. The body gets so deoxygenated from that there's no way it can manage the standard 60%
Just experiment. Go light and go through it once then add weight

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
Bull, when you started, before your log with the advanced work, did you superset the A-1 and A-2 exercises?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Hey OnS, my opinion on GVT is that it should only be used if you have good recovery ability. Especially with some hormonal assistance. I wouldn't recommend it for a natural trainee of mature age.

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
Assistance will be involved. :D I am on Dr Rx TRT, but will be using other "assistance". Even at that, it will be interesting to see how things go recovery wise.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
In that case, I'm sure you will get something out of it. I gave it a try in my youth and it can be brutal if you do it right.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
In that case, I'm sure you will get something out of it. I gave it a try in my youth and it can be brutal if you do it right.

Did someone say brutal? It is.
However with "assistance" and a decent love of pain the body fires endorphins that cause a wild euphoria most of us call "the zone"
But I agree with you monsoon I'm sure it could easily be a train wreck without help.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Bull, when you started, before your log with the advanced work, did you superset the A-1 and A-2 exercises?

We experimented with most variables. I think we only supersetted the major compounds with other compounds but we cut rest periods throughout even down to nothing. Killer!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic