Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

top tips for sore shoulderd peoples trying to train the chest pecs

G

GrassFed

Sep 18, 2010
as ive mentioned millions of times ive had long running shoulder issues.. now there almost back on track, so i'll share some thing that have helped me on the way..

ok, heres my little rehab routine... plus a few movements that seem to keep things healthy..

1st off, buy resistance bands... they work so much better for external/internal rotations, i see people using dumbels and cringe at the form and weight used..

2nd off... use less weight on everything generally, youd be surprised how better you feel.. i used to be a total hardcore HIT guy, now im happy pumping away with a moderate weight for a few sets

external rotations with band 3 x 20, internal rotations 3 x 20( arms at right angle, jammed into body)
door way stretches ( arm at right angle, pressure applied to forearm, hold stretch for 5/10 secs )
scapular rows 3 x 15 ( use cable row set on highest level, very moderate weight,row into upper chest area, wide overhand grip, hold squeeze )
scapular presses 3 x 15 ( either from press up position or on dip bars )

i have also used broomshank stretches in the past, they do help improve flexibility but can be servere depending on how sore the injured area is..

ive also found stopping overhead pressing helps alot, changing my form on rear delt db laterals also, so im letting my shoulder blades fully stretch and contract at the top ( helps to use less weight and keep arms at more of an angle )

check your posture, if you walk around slouched, with your shoulders forward your asking for trouble.. its sounds gay, but try and walk with your chest forward, shoulders back

starting chest workouts with a pump.. a few sets of pressups against the db rack realy squeezing those pecs together and getting the blood going

set your chest position and keep it fixed, expanded rib cage etc... also use less weight and stop the movement when you can no longer hold that form

dont use severe angles for any of your chest movements,,, keep it to a slight incline or decline.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I've had my share of shoulder issues also. I think my biggest mistakes were going too heavy on pressing movements and pressing with my elbows flared too far out on chest and shoulder presses. I also did some behind the neck presses and pulldowns when I was first starting out, but luckily I got away from those when I was still a young buck.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Shoulder mobility, prehab and rehab movements are great if done CORRECTLY. If there is a true injury though, some of these movements can cause more damage than good. Sometimes self diagnosis or rehab can actually cause and injury to worsen.

Example, someone who has a labral slap tear. Doing shoulder dislocates with a broom handle or even the simple doorway stretches, both of which are great shoulder mobility drills can end up doing more damage due to the range of motion into shoulder flexion and shoulder external rotation.

Most shoulder pains/injuries can be fixed/prevented with tightening down form. While benching, learn to properly retract shoulder blades using your lower traps and learn how to keep the head of the humerus tight into the socket while in full elbow extension at the end of the concentric phase, in turn protecting your articular cartilage, rotator cuff, and labrum. Same with your overhead movements, learn to keep the shoulders fully retracted down into the socket and don't over extend the top of the lock out causing you to shrug.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic