Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

585x6 deadlift 203 lb bw

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have been working on increasing deadlifts through a new mental approach. I started a month ago with a new plan.

1- dropping conventional progressive programs and going back to my bread and butter. Taking something heavy and making it light by repping it more and more times. (hence improving my 1rm in the process)

2- A new mental focus technique of trying to harness anger to increase my ability to lift.

Proof is in the pudding! In just at a month I have added 40 lbs to my estimated 1rm.

1rm calcs for 5 and under reps have always been pretty close for me so I know there is REAL increase in power here. Just how much, I am not ready to find out yet. I am wating for one more rep.....
REP 7!!!. That will take my estimated 1rm over 700lbs. By then I will feel pretty confident I have smashed my goal to pull more than 650 and I will go for a new 1rm PR. (no straps for singles...btw ;) )

This was the result from tonight. I had a hard time keeping my breath on the last few reps. I wanted to breathe, but I needed to hold my breath to stabilize my core. Believe it or not, this is like cardio on the last reps. Took me a while to catch my breath.

It felt good as hell to pull this tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Beast mode, amazing lift and congrats! I was feelin gud bout my dl pr today till I saw yours. thanks for the motivation and keep pushing!

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Damn. That's incredible to me. The weight some of you guys put up is amazing.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Wow. I was hoping to hit this for a triple in two weeks. I feel like now I have to!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's some serious pulling right there. Congrats on that PR.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Brb, I need to pick my jaw up off of the floor.

Nice work dude, just wow!

Is there any chance you would start a training journal? I'd love to follow your progress with your program setup!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Beast mode, amazing lift and congrats! I was feelin gud bout my dl pr today till I saw yours. thanks for the motivation and keep pushing!

Amazing...

Damn. That's incredible to me. The weight some of you guys put up is amazing.

Thanks guys. Feels really good!

Wow. I was hoping to hit this for a triple in two weeks. I feel like now I have to!

Do it! You have to now. Cant let some skinny no build 200lb guy beat ya ;). Where is SAD when we need a pep talk? ;)
I have really started to realize the power of mindset when it comes to deadlifts. To me it is different then squats or bench. That is really the only thing that can explain my progress over the last 8 weeks. Nothing else has really changed. Just my mental approach.

That's some serious pulling right there. Congrats on that PR.

Thanks man. You have helped me out a bunch as I have tried to move to more towards 'powerlifting'. While I dont think I can ever dedicate to only one pursuit, I am finding more and more that the satisfaction of hitting a new PR continues to motivate me more then looking like a 'bodybuilder'. But I do enjoy being lean year round.

Brb, I need to pick my jaw up off of the floor.

Nice work dude, just wow!

Is there any chance you would start a training journal? I'd love to follow your progress with your program setup!

Thanks turbo. I am notorious for not keeping up with journals. My training seems to be a whole lot of boring stuff punctuated with me getting a hair up my ass to increase a certain lift. I then go balls out and eventually return to boring. I am a less is more guy. My training is pretty simple. Heavy basic compound movements with a sprinkle of iso work to satisfy my inner bodybuilder. Not very interesting stuff for a journal.

Last edited:
O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
Nice, macg. Thanks for sharing. I agree with channeling anger. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. It always helps when I can.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This was wild to watch!!! Man, I gotta harness my anger! Great vid and incredible pull!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic