Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

help with speed deadlifts (250kg for triples)

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Starting speed training again after my deadlift training, felt great but being told by some other lifters it's far too slow to be beneficial for acceleration-based training. What do you guys thing, should I just not bother with it and stick to normal paced heavy rep-work? I cant go any faster than this, even if I do drop the weight down due to my bicep reattachment surgeries I got 4 months ago it's not been the same since it's still a bit dodgy

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=962246330468125&set=vb.100000483021005&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Are you working within your 40-55% of your 1RM? If your working in the upper percentile you wont be able to work speed and you will more than likely be your working maximal effort range. Just my 2 cents brother.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Are you working within your 40-55% of your 1RM? If your working in the upper percentile you wont be able to work speed and you will more than likely be your working maximal effort range. Just my 2 cents brother.

nope closer to twice that. Your saying I should be doing 150-170ish?how many reps would you be doing in this weight range?
Your two cents is much appreciated Max I have little knowledge of this style of training

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Its not set in stone, lets say 40-60% of your 1RM. I use 45/50/55% for 10 sets of 3 for Dynamic work. 45% wk1 / 50% wk2 / 55% wk3, then start back at wk1 percentages. At these percentages you can move the weight in an accelerated fashion.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I like working in the 65% range for speed work but the key is..... speed. If you're not moving it fast than you're not accomplishing the goal.

I also like using chains and bands for speed work. For bands, I prefer them in a reverse band set up.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Its not set in stone, lets say 40-60% of your 1RM. I use 45/50/55% for 10 sets of 3 for Dynamic work. 45% wk1 / 50% wk2 / 55% wk3, then start back at wk1 percentages. At these percentages you can move the weight in an accelerated fashion.

Ah I see, thanks for that info. There is a lot of controversy over this style of training now from the comments on my facebook page, some people swear by it others think it's b*******. Gonna have to try it out myself before I make my own decision!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
There's no BS to speed work. It's a necessary part of a PL program whether it's called dynamic effort in Westside, or explosive rep day, or whatever Lilly calls it in the Cube.

If you're serious about your lifts going up, you need to incorporate it into your training, unless you're still at a point where you're making beginner gains.

65% is the top end of the scale for percentages for a raw lifter.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I like working in the 65% range for speed work but the key is..... speed. If you're not moving it fast than you're not accomplishing the goal.

I also like using chains and bands for speed work. For bands, I prefer them in a reverse band set up.

Reverse bands are a lot of fun. But don't cheat yourself by having band tension at the top. You should have slack just past the knees.

(Not lecturing at BI here he knows what he is going. Just a general statement based of my observations).

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There's value to doing reps like you're doing.

There's value to doing every rep and set as explosively as possible.

But, that's too heavy for speed work.

Try doing 12 singles at around 150kg with 30 seconds of rest between them. I pull in the upper 700s - my speed work is between 315 and 405 either straight weight or with light bands from the floor. If I'm fried I'll use a single heavy band hung from the squat rack safety bar so that it deloads completely above the knee.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
There's value to doing reps like you're doing.

There's value to doing every rep and set as explosively as possible.

But, that's too heavy for speed work.

Try doing 12 singles at around 150kg with 30 seconds of rest between them. I pull in the upper 700s - my speed work is between 315 and 405 either straight weight or with light bands from the floor. If I'm fried I'll use a single heavy band hung from the squat rack safety bar so that it deloads completely above the knee.

Well I've no experience with speed work so did not know this but I do now, after the comments on the facebook video from other lifters.

well for me personally, you're the lifter I respect most as no one has ever given me advice as good as you have porky, I literally write down your posts so I have them haha, I'm definitley going to try this next time I deadlift.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
My 45/50/55% deads are done in conjunction with a 2" wide band secured to to the bottom of the rack.

cmeliftheavy

cmeliftheavy

Jan 29, 2011
Review this article How can a lifter increase floor speed founds on Juggernaut training manual
week 5 covers speed:
Deadlifts (75%) x 2 x 5 sets
4” Block Snatch Grip Deadlifts
(60%) x 8 x 3 sets
Knee Pulls <-- These are always texting on me
85% x 3 x 3 sets
OLY Squat
(60%) x 8 x 2 sets
UpRight Rows
3 x 15
Lat Pulldowns
5 x 12
Band Goodmornings
50 reps
Link: http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/03/18/building-speed-floor-deadlift/

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic