Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

A very elementary explanation of carbs for beginners to nutrition

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
A carbohydrate in its most basic form is a compound constructed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Another simplistic description of a Carb is that carbohydrates equal energy.

Simple Sugars

Simple Sugars are just carbohydrates that are as simple as simple can be. Examples are table sugar, syrup, honey, cookies, sodas, fruit juice, etc...Glucose is another way of saying simple sugar. Glucose is also called blood sugar or blood glucose when being lab tested.

Complex Carbs

Just as a brick alone is just a brick but together they can make a building. A simple sugar alone is simply an empty calorie, however, connect several simple sugar molocules and you get a larger complex molocule which is a complex carbohydrate.

So simple sugars are empty calories that raise blood glucose and cause insulin spikes. Insulin spikes from eating simple sugars are negative. Sugar in excess can lead to obesity and cardiovascular issuers, and even diabetes! Simply put, extreme moderation of simple sugars as a part of your daily diet/caloric intake. I do suggest intake of some simple sugars with your protein post workout...

I realize this is overly simplified but I'm hoping someone with less nutritional knowledge may find this a good start toward learning how nutrition and fitness go hand in hand.:D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic