Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What should I do ?

T

twisted

Feb 1, 2014
Long story short, I started getting achey knees a few weeks ago to the point where I struggled to walk down stairs or get up from sitting a few days a week.

So I went looking for answers and found supple leopard by kelly starrett. Had a read and it looks like my squat/deadlifts form is the cause (ankle/hip/ham ROM sucks basically) because of how far my knee tracks forward during the movements.

Now do I carry on with 5/3/1 but mobilise like crazy and hope I get flexibile fast enough or do I scrap 5/3/1 until my ROM improves enough and start from the beginning and sacrifice some strength for the bigger picture ( what little I'm starting to have)

Honestly don't want to stop lifting for an extended period of time but if that's the general consensus I'll listen to sense.

Been taking cissus/msm/glucosamine/chondroitine and serrapetase to try and help it along but treating the symptoms /trying to heal while the problem continues is pretty pointless

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
When I fixed the form on my squats, my achy knees went away.

I take similar supplements to you, but also PABA, which is supposed to make your tendons more supple. IMO it has helped quite a bit.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Back off and fix your weak points.

I'd start by learning to box squat and actually sit back when squatting.

That little half bosu ball/ plastic disc balance thing is great too for rehabbing knees.

Usually the causes of achy knees are bad form, muscle imbalance, or something is too tight or full of scar tissue to move properly - putting stress on your knees.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I agree with PLK completely. Box squatting is the best way to work on sitting back into your squat. The goal of that box squat will be to have the leg at 90 degrees which would put your knee right a above your ankle at the bottom of the rep.

Also, if you are a long torso guy or have long femurs, you are going to eventually need to widen you stance. I love oly sqatting as much as the next guy, but some people are built for it, others not so much.

Try some wider stance box squats for a few weeks and see if that helps.

T

twisted

Feb 1, 2014
Cheers guys

Decided to rest for a week completely. Just mobilise like crazy. Will hit the gym next week and learn to box squat and fix my form before ramping the weights up.

T

twisted

Feb 1, 2014
How would I know if I have long torso/femurs? I have a feeling I do as I really struggle to sit back far eniugh to keep my shins straight

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How would I know if I have long torso/femurs? I have a feeling I do as I really struggle to sit back far eniugh to keep my shins straight

Post a pic of yourself standing up

T

twisted

Feb 1, 2014
What sort of things you looking for ? I'll try and sort a picture but finding it difficult

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
exactly where on the knee is the pain?

T

twisted

Feb 1, 2014
Inside of the boney bit ( not very scientific) and the slightly above the knee on the outside

Both on my right hand side. My left has been pain free for a few days since mobilising

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
The outside could be it band tightness. Inside patella is usually due to hamstring tightness and quad weakness.

Try working on that and let me know how it goes.

T

twisted

Feb 1, 2014
Yeah through trial and error I've found my hamstring are like concrete and I compensate with knees forward to keep a flat back and I never noticed :(

Taking another week off weights (just practice with a bar) until I get this sorted.

See to have sorted my duck footedness out aswell. Hopefully sorting this out will help me get some real weight moved in the near future ;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic