Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Cool little story

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Buddy of mine that trains BJJ, whom I talk to a lot about Judo and BJJ with, invited me along to one of his private BJJ lessons. Said he would love for me to come along because he wants to roll with a bigger guy because he thinks it will help his game. I said to myself "Hmmm, I suck at floor work, and this guy actually has to ASK me to come to a private BJJ lesson with him?". Sure, I'll go.

So he's telling me about this guy, never mentioned his name. Said he was a Professional fighting coach, whatever that meant, but whatever. He talked highly of him, so I just took his word. Well, we walk in, warm up, and the guy is a little late. He comes through the door finally, and I have my glasses off, so I can't see very well. I shake his hand, talk to him for a moment, then I grab my glasses to watch him give some instruction. I put on my glasses, and I am staring at this guy and keep thinking "I Know this guy from somewhere, but can't figure it out". I look up, and realize I see a big ass poster of him standing in the UFC octagon. It turns out to be Jared Chaffee.

Rolling with this guy was pretty amazing. Me and my buddy rolled with him for 20 mins, taking turns, and the guy never once got short of breath. He was relaxed the entire time, and felt "panicked" and I could see the gears going in his head for each move and planning what he was doing. There was only one time I had him locked down and he couldn't move, but I saw nothing, and eventually he seemed to come up with something and worked his way out of it by kind of rocking his weight until he had an advantage and then he was out.

He showed us some great stuff. Things that were easy, could pull off without a gi, and were legal in Judo so I can use it all for my sport too. Even showed me how to set up the ground stuff with a couple throws etc.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
You may not believe this, but I used to roll with him all the time back in 2010 and 2011. He moved outta town to Houston and I haven't talked to him in a loooong time.

We trained at the same academy together until he moved.

Small world man.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I've been wanting to send you a PM to ask you how Judo is going. I have a bunch of questions about the sport I would love to ask too!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
You may not believe this, but I used to roll with him all the time back in 2010 and 2011. He moved outta town to Houston and I haven't talked to him in a loooong time.

We trained at the same academy together until he moved.

Small world man.

I think he's at the same place. I had to drive about an hour and fifteen to get there. My buddy is super serious about BJJ, so he drives that far for every class.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Pretty cool shortz. I trained under Mervin Tate as a wee lad. He was a great guy and actually had 3 of us join the aau and try out for the nationals. Great sport didn't know you were into it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Pretty cool shortz. I trained under Mervin Tate as a wee lad. He was a great guy and actually had 3 of us join the aau and try out for the nationals. Great sport didn't know you were into it.

I am actually in Judo, but my buddy helps me with the ground work from time to time. My ground work is terrible. We do about 20 mins of it a night at Judo, but it's not enough and I am having issues grasping some of the stuff. Mixing BJJ and Judo leads to great things. He showed me how to set up a side mount from a standing position by using a Uki goshi (Floating hip throw).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I trained BJJ for a very brief time but I've been very lucky when it comes to BJJ instructors.... like Cobrinha (Reuben Charles) and Lucas Lepri. Doesn't get much better than that. I preferred Cobrinha over Lucas.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
From talking to my buddy, I am learning a lot of names. He mentioned Cobrinha several times just today though and sounded like he would be a good dude to train under (Thats his nickname, right)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
From talking to my buddy, I am learning a lot of names. He mentioned Cobrinha several times just today though and sounded like he would be a good dude to train under (Thats his nickname, right)

Cobrinha is arguably the best BJJ grappler of our time.

When you talk to your buddy again... ask him about Jacare (the original Jacare... the founder of Alliance). He's a close personal friend of mine.

Last edited:
graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I am actually in Judo, but my buddy helps me with the ground work from time to time. My ground work is terrible. We do about 20 mins of it a night at Judo, but it's not enough and I am having issues grasping some of the stuff. Mixing BJJ and Judo leads to great things. He showed me how to set up a side mount from a standing position by using a Uki goshi (Floating hip throw).

Kodokan Judo is what I studied, later studied Hapkido nd Kajukenbo. Then I got old..LOL. Good stuff tho probably the best shape of my life, Funny, Judo is incorporated into JiuJitsu and Kajukenbo. Got to study with some great guys

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Haha So this gets better. My head is a little bigger now.

This buddy of mine is actually a colleague of my wife. She was going in to relieve him at the end of his shift and he was telling the entire department how ungodly strong I was. This guy is a very well conditioned 40 year old too. He lifts weights 3-4 days a week and is no slouch himself. He told everyone how I just picked his ass up and tossed him and pulled a reversal on him twice that he didn't think was possible. Said it was like wrestling a bear. My wife replied "You HAVE Seen my husband at the gym, right? Were you expecting anything else?" lol Love my wife. Felt good that someone was bragging for me. xD

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic