Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Your Kids Nutrition

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
As embarrassing as it is to admit...today, this morning specifically, I had an epiphany regarding my kids' diets that was long overdue.

I evaluated the breakfast I was about to make: pancakes and some kind of drink. My kids don't like anything on their pancakes but butter, so that was the topping. The drink question is usually apple juice or milk, and with the main course being a carb I opted for milk. As I made my morning Accelerator Shake (thanks J. Kiefer) with a dollop of coconut oil I thought, "these kids need a healthy fat with their breakfast." Out comes the peanut butter.

Their breakfast consisted of a carb (simple unfortunately), a protein source (milk), healthy fat (smart butter on pancakes, peanut butter), and multivitamins (gummies). I'm proud of this one.

I am changing things up from the stupid fast breakfast of apple juice and pop tarts that wifey does when I'm doing school work because it's horrible for my conscience and worse for my kids.

This had me reflect on other meals I present to them... Last night was grilled teriyaki pork with white rice, sliver of pound cake with a scoop of butter brickle ice cream on top. I'm not perfect, and kids need ice cream from time to time, so don't get it twisted... My kids don't eat like John Meadows.

As I flipped stuff on the griddle this morning, I started thinking about macros and protein grams per lbs of body weight, and I wondered:

How diligent are y'all with your kids' nutrition?

Most everybody is guilty of the Happy Meal due to time constraints or as a reward for good behavior, but when you sit down at night are you satisfied with how you fed your children? If so, how did you achieve this satisfaction? Is it daily fruit/vegetable servings? Is it complex carbs replacing the simple ones? More water than juice? 100% juice over concentrate?

What rules of thumb do you follow to make sure your little ones grow up to be healthy?

I could go on and on with this topic so please discuss and I'll chime in further. Really looking forward to your responses...

Last edited:
Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
I don't really pay too much attention to it. I make sure they get a protein source, some fruits and veggies and some fats. I try to sty away from junk for them. They usually eat eggs every morning and their lunch and dinner consists of either beef or chicken with vegetables. They drink a lot of whole milk. It seems to be working well. All the kids seem to be at a healthy weight. My oldest who is 4, just passed the 4 foot mark. They are all off the chart with regards to height.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
1st off, gummy vitamins have no iron so you you many wanna switch to Flintstones ;)

It's rough, I have 1 boy who is 110% of the growth chart, will be 5 and is as tall as a 7yo. And then I have a 2yo that won't eat anything and is at 25% on the growth charts. It's hard to give the 2yo whatever he wants while trying to watch what the other eats since he is such a good eater. I try to incorporate eggs and cheese with their breakfast and milk and yogurt as much as I can. They both love a banana with PB so it makes that one a little easy, but the carb as the center of breakfast still holds true for my boys.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
My son is so active I don't care what he eats as long as he is taking in calories. I do emphasize good foods and he takes note. Polices himself to an extent. Now my daughter isn't as active and is a trashcan. Lucky she is skinny as a rail.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I think you're doing fine GA.

I don't have kids, but this is my opinion. I think they should get to eat what they want and enjoy their child hood. Soon enough they'll be into the "real world".

Again, just my .02, sounds like you're a great dad GA.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I have 4 kids, none are over weight and as far as I am concerned eat way too many carbs. But they are all head strong and since they are, in the end, not unhealthy with regard to their weight, two are thin as rails, there is really no point in getting into a fight about what they eat or how much they eat. FWIW, two are teens, one is a tween and the youngest is 9. They mostly know how I eat and if they eat dinner, usually one balks, I know it is a healthy mix since 75% the dinners at home are made by me or picked out by me. In the end, from little bitty to leaving the house, day to day nutrition with a kid is a losing battle. Watch it on a weekly basis. Kids change so fast, go through growth spurts, hit hormones, etc. that it can become frustrating trying to get them to eat right on a daily basis. Do your best to engage them in the outdoors or some physical activity so they don't just sit and eat and overall their bodies will direct them accordingly and at some point, hopefully, things will start clicking in their minds and start making "healthier" choices. Oh, if you want them to eat vegetables, throw some cheese or bacon on it. My kids love brussel sprouts cooked in bacon grease with the bacon chopped and thrown back in. Grilling the veggies with olive oil or sauteing in coconut oil is usually a winner as well.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I have 2 boys:

My 6 year old is a beast! He loves food, and I worry about him becoming a fatty. He's over 90lbs, but he's not really fat. The kid has a set of calves like a mini Dorian, and his ass could feed an African village. He's just going to be a big dude, which is great IMO. He throws 30lb bags of dog food on his shoulder and carries it up into the house for me lol. He will eat until he's blue though so you have to watch him. I will wake up in the morning, he'll be eating a bowl of cereal he got for himself, and then ask me what's for breakfast lol. We generally make sure he eats good, but if we go camping, or to a BBQ - all bets are off. He will eat half the dessert table, and frankly, I don't want to spend what is supposed to be a good time arguing with him over treats. It's not like he's stuffing his face with sweets daily.

My 3 yr old is on the smaller side. I will let him eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Getting him to actually eat is a constant battle. He's always running around raising hell, and never wants to sit down and eat. I have to force him to eat meat half the time. Me and the missus joke that he's a 3 yr old vegetarian.

It's amazing how different kids can be from each other.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I think you're doing fine GA.

I don't have kids, but this is my opinion. I think they should get to eat what they want and enjoy their child hood. Soon enough they'll be into the "real world".

Again, just my .02, sounds like you're a great dad GA.

I feel you to an extent and appreciate the compliments.
I've read that kids gain fat cells when they are little... so if we let them get to Butterbean size by feeding them junk it's harder for them as adults to maintain weight since they're more susceptible to fat storing. I can't control what their mother feeds them (soda/candy in the morning and some other bullshit) but if I put my best foot forward I might be able to counteract the garbage intake.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
My kid enjoys all the same food as I. She had always been a healthy eater, she has the option not to but rarely chooses that. She is well under 10 and already realizes the benefits to a healthy lifestyle. They r finally pushing this in the school systems :)

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I feel you to an extent and appreciate the compliments.
I've read that kids gain fat cells when they are little... so if we let them get to Butterbean size by feeding them junk it's harder for them as adults to maintain weight since they're more susceptible to fat storing. I can't control what their mother feeds them (soda/candy in the morning and some other bullshit) but if I put my best foot forward I might be able to counteract the garbage intake.

Thanks for sharing GA. That makes sense, I didn't realize that one.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
My seven year old loves to eat. Always asks me what's for dinner and she's super picky about everything... I lie all the time and tell her, "I'm not sure" because it always sparks an argument...it sucks. My four year old likes anything I do. He will eat hibachi, hot shit, sweet stuff, salads...
He's skinny as hell - can see his ribs and almost has a six pack.
She's thick, almost chunky. We keep them both active playing sports... I'm deathly afraid the bad decisions we made as parents early on with my daughter have affected her negatively, almost like she has to fight harder to stay lean than little man does. I ate stromboli weekly and drank beers daily 5-6 years ago... these last three years I've been in the gym, learning nutrition, etc. Can't change the past but can change the present so all is not lost.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Try not to beat yourself up GA.

Everyone's genetics are different.

She might lost any extra weight when she enters her mid teens.

If not, you can always address it later on.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic