Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bands replace cables?

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Can they? For tricep push downs, face pulls, reverse flys etc???? Setting up at home and don't want to invest in any cables I want to keep it simple and less equipment the better...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Chains are much better than cables.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
No. The beauty of a cable is constant tension through the whole range of motion. Bands are progressive tension.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
No. The beauty of a cable is constant tension through the whole range of motion. Bands are progressive tension.

Eh... Ya that's what I was thinking.... Maybe I'll ad it on to my cage later an use some bands for now...

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Chains are much better than cables.

I can't wait to play around with both chains and bands in the future but for now I was just trying to get some cable work in without cables lol...

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I do a lot of band work at home. It is convenient. It is a great for extra volume. Band work is progressive from an intensity standpoint. Progressive resistance trains the CNS to produce rapid rates of force development during the lift. Great for developing explosive strength.

When i am at home, I will do dimel deads, tricep push downs, rows and a few others for 20 minute mini-sessions in between my training days.

From a bodybuilding standpoint, they may be less useful. I cant speak to its effectiveness there. But it would have to fall into the "something is better than nothing" category.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Can they? For tricep push downs, face pulls, reverse flys etc???? Setting up at home and don't want to invest in any cables I want to keep it simple and less equipment the better...

They don't replace but can be used as variety to help stay consistent. I too obtained cables that I could attach to my closet door without tools and on eBay got a bowflex for 50 bux. Plus I have 100 lb dumbells . Maybe I'm too busy to get to gym or I take a nap then gym is closed yaddah yaddah so I use a variation . Plus I think cables are good for athletes and rehab too. Variation on evey level is the key to progress. People that never stray from routine are stale and will never reAch beyond themselves

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Thanks ket my buddy's got a bowflex taking up space in his garage I know he would bring it over if I asked but my weight pile looks Stanford an son enough as it is lol... I guess I shouldn't care but... Maybe when I move the pile under the breezeway I'll reconsider it..

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
The biggest component that a band can't replace is the negative tension/resistance with the descent of the weight. Take a single hand reverse tricep pulldown for an example:

With the cable, you have constant tension but the weight is constant. With the band, you have increasing tension which is great for explosiveness and pop but the negative tension is decreasingly lost.

I love both and can't replace either personally.....only if my elbow would fkn cooperate! Haven't done any tricep work in over two weeks!

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I had a soloflex years ago, basicly a machine built around using their bands, it was actually pretty decent for it's time, but just like the bands very little resistance on the all important negative portion of the rep.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
I use bands in some of my assistance work. love em.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic