Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

To low carb or not?

C

chrismkelly

Jul 19, 2014
I have just started lifting and want to get ripped but I need to lose about 40lbs of fat. Should I low carb to cut fat while lifting or just count calories? Thanks for any advice.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I cut carbs. The only carbs I eat are green veggies. Fat drops fast.
Plus workout like a fiend

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
IMO, it depends on where you are and what you want to do. The goal of every diet, regardless of the method, should always be decreased calories.

That said, I don't particularly like cutting carbs at the start of a diet. Carbs are too muscle sparing. Instead, I wait until late to cut carbs, because the benefit it dropping water, obviously. There is no advantage to doing a keto diet over a diet with moderate carbs, in fact, I would argue it's a disadvantage if done too early or for too long.

Last edited:
Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Lot of guys are having amazing success with carb cycling. I couldnt tell you anymore...my idea of carb cycling is putting dbol in my pop tarts.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Lot of guys are having amazing success with carb cycling. I couldnt tell you anymore...my idea of carb cycling is putting dbol in my pop tarts.

I do the same. It gives you the benefits of carbs, but keeps the water weight down so you look leaner and feel like you're closer to your goal and can help keep you motivated.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Rotating low carb never do one way. The body adjusts and low carb isn't really for long term . Carbs spare protien , blunt insulin. Provide energy to train like hell. However every so called approach has it's place. The body naturally adapts therefore attack / offset the adaptive process by rotating the macros few low days if carbs while fat us high, then moderate then one higher day then back again. Keep protien high . Long been most popular and successful approach to stripping fat.

It could not be more simple how one could have trouble really makes no sense

Last edited:
Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Just could drop simple carbs for a start. if you still have them in your diet.. that's the fastest way to make change.. and I expect with your wanting to drop 40lbs you want to start fast.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Just could drop simple carbs for a start. if you still have them in your diet.. that's the fastest way to make change.. and I expect with your wanting to drop 40lbs you want to start fast.

Actually it's more than that but especially if one wants to drop ton of fat ! The rotation keeps metabolism high . You need to make a change the Cycling tricks the body as it not so severe. Burning fat while maintaining muscle keeps metabolism high , just losing weight too fast burn lean tissue . Then when going back to form you lose headway . It's not about fastest it's about the smartest and what works long term .

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I have been on a low carb (basically zero carb) diet since January 1 and have lost 55 lbs. During that time I have gotten more muscular and defined than at any other time in my life (I am on tren and test) and have made solid gains in strength.

I think whether you do a no carb, carb cycling or carb based diet depends on your preference. As Shortz says the key is to be in a caloric defecit. To know whether you are in a defecit it will help tremendously to weigh or measure everything you eat, and to eat the same things day in and day out. If you are losing 1 to 2 lbs per week, then you are in a defecit. If you are not losing, you may not be in a defecit or you may be too inconsistent in the amount of food you are eating.

What I don't like about carb cycling is it will put you into and out of ketogenesis, which is counterproductive, IMO, unless you are at very low bodyfat to begin with.

And while I have been on a ketogenic diet so long, I have also had cheat days at least once per month, and several days off in a row, every couple of months. Invariably these cheats help me re-start the fat loss process so going forward I am losing fat at a more rapid pace, than just before the cheats.

Whether a diet with carbs is muscle sparing, I cannot say, but I have not lost significant muscle while on my current diet since January.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic