Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Pro-biotics: Fact, fiction, or farce!

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
K your on now fella. How about we take a gander at your pro-biotic scientist study whom was being "interviewed" and briefly summarized "her data" which supports pro-biotics .......on an auto-immune and pro-biotic connection, NOT gonna happen.

This I know antibiotics are NOT even remotely associated with auto-immune disorders, as you stated earlier, or perhaps was that just your opinion as a "hobbyist".

I will be posting articles which prove the benefits of PB, and there are a few, but they do not "improve immune function", and to suggest otherwise emphasizes why being current on existing evidence based literature is so very important.

And by literature I'm NOT referring to, forums, blogs, boards, interviews, news paper clippings or the most recent issue of Ladies Home Journal.

(I would suggest you begin the search by using "MedLine" )

Happy hunting K
JIM

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Ok, I clearly missed a thread here.

So what are we trying to prove or disprove with probiotics? My understanding of them is that they can help the stomach maintain healthy bacteria and digestion, and there is a possibility they can help decrease inflammatory response in the body.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

So what are we trying to prove or disprove with probiotics? My understanding of them is that they can help the stomach maintain healthy bacteria and digestion, and there is a possibility they can help decrease inflammatory response in the body.

That was my understanding also. But I was also informed that they can strengthen your immune system? I don't know if that's true or not.

I can't seem to find a solid answer to this question: How do you strengthen your immune system????

Sorry for getting off topic.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014

=================================
Yea why is it I'm not the least bit surprised your familiar with the benefits of pro-B Shortz, a relative with a GI disorder perhaps?

On SPOT mate!
jim

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
That was my understanding also. But I was also informed that they can strengthen your immune system? I don't know if that's true or not.

I can't seem to find a solid answer to this question: How do you strengthen your immune system????

Sorry for getting off topic.

==================================================

Oh no your not off topic at all! Fact is your very much on topic according to K that's what pro-biotics are capable of achieving, "enhance or strengthen one's immune system".

The problem, there is NO EVIDENCE which suggests PB are capable of doing any such thing, IMO

To keep you up to speed, this thread was posted as a continuation of another thread called "not so much injured just sick as a dog" in the injury and prevention forum

The initial thread is relatively short but is best summarized by an OP feeling "sick" with what sounds like what some refer to as a head cold. Thereafter K informs the OP he likely has a "F.....Low immune system" and to take vitamin D and probiotics "a try" as therapy.

Thereafter I asked K for evidence which supports his claims of therapy or assumed cure. Rightfully, another thread was began once the focus became the "PB evidence" rather than the OP himself!

So the thread begins with my request for K to post evidence for the Pro-Biotic claims he made earlier.

I will post at least 2-3 evidence based articles on the proven effects of PB once K has completed his supportive posts.

regs
jim

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
==================================================

Oh no your not off topic at all! Fact is your very much on topic according to K that's what pro-biotics are capable of achieving, "enhance or strengthen one's immune system".

The problem, there is NO EVIDENCE which suggests PB are capable of doing any such thing, IMO

To keep you up to speed, this thread was posted as a continuation of another thread called "not so much injured just sick as a dog" in the injury and prevention forum

The initial thread is relatively short but is best summarized by an OP feeling "sick" with what sounds like what some refer to as a head cold. Thereafter K informs the OP he likely has a "F.....Low immune system" and to take vitamin D and probiotics "a try" as therapy.

Thereafter I asked K for evidence which supports his claims of therapy or assumed cure. Rightfully, another thread was began once the focus became the "PB evidence" rather than the OP himself!

So the thread begins with my request for K to post evidence for the Pro-Biotic claims he made earlier.

I will post at least 2-3 evidence based articles on the proven effects of PB once K has completed his supportive posts.

regs
jim

Wife takes them because she is on HRT and the HRT causes increased yeast infections. The PBs can decrease the risk and so far, when she stops taking them, sure enough, it happens.

I take them because I have IBS and have suffered from gastritis several times. It has been debilitating at times. Cannot believe how crappy gastritis can make someone feel. With a regiment of Metamucil, PBs, and more "GI friendly foods", it seems to be all but completely gone.

My daughter has Celiac though. Unfortunately, this is an autoimmune disorder, and PBs will NOT fix that.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Shortz what PB do you take?

I haven similar stomach symptoms to the ones you described.

I bought a pro biotic from the supplement store and it made me feel terrible. I had to stop taking it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Shortz what PB do you take?

I haven similar stomach symptoms to the ones you described.

I bought a pro biotic from the supplement store and it made me feel terrible. I had to stop taking it.

I am going to be honest. There are a ton of crap probiotics on the market. Even a lot of the yogurts we eat today lack the digestive aiding bacteria and benefits yogurts did prior to the 1970s. So many of them are a big scam. I haven't done the research I should have to be able to choose the right one. The one my wife uses, however, her OBGYN that put her on the meds has researched the one she takes and it's the real deal. I bought mine at the same store, which is touted to be one of the best natural food stores in the area.

The one she takes is called Raw Probiotics. It has a very short shelf life and must be refrigerated. The one I take is Ultimate Probiotics.

Anyway, I am absolutely sure the GI friendly foods and the metamucil have the biggest impact on my system. I honestly cannot tell how much the Probiotic helps, but I just know I feel better when I do them all.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks.

The one I have also needs to be refrigerated.

Do you think I could get the same benefit from just eating yogurt?

I've been trying to cut dairy out of or limit it lately.

When I first began noticing stomach issues the GI doctor also recommended I take Metemucil. I used to eat the wafers. Maybe I need to start them back up.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Thanks.

The one I have also needs to be refrigerated.

Do you think I could get the same benefit from just eating yogurt?

I've been trying to cut dairy out of or limit it lately.

When I first began noticing stomach issues the GI doctor also recommended I take Metemucil. I used to eat the wafers. Maybe I need to start them back up.

Metamucil is the bomb. Just get the orange powder, put 6oz of water in a cup and slam it every day at one or two meals. If you drink a lot of water during the day, you can use less, but 8oz is recommend because most people dont' drink enough water, and it can make the metamucil bind up in the stomach just a bit

Vegans actually get plenty of probiotics in their diet. In fact, that's where probiotics are from; vegetables etc. So really, it's not necessary to eat yogurt, even if it were the good stuff that still has the good bacteria in it.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I am going to be honest. There are a ton of crap probiotics on the market. Even a lot of the yogurts we eat today lack the digestive aiding bacteria and benefits yogurts did prior to the 1970s. So many of them are a big scam. I haven't done the research I should have to be able to choose the right one. The one my wife uses, however, her OBGYN that put her on the meds has researched the one she takes and it's the real deal. I bought mine at the same store, which is touted to be one of

The one she takes is called Raw Probiotics. It has a very short shelf life and must be refrigerated. The one I take is Ultimate Probiotics.

Anyway, I am absolutely sure the GI friendly foods and the metamucil have the biggest impact on my system. I honestly cannot tell how much the Probiotic helps, but I just know I feel better when I do them all.
---------------------

FYI the most likely reason for refrigeration of PB is to DIMINISH bacterial reproduction. Otherwise the bacterial overabundance would likely change the Ph (and other bacterial waste products) and increase the unwanted bacterial to PB bacterial ratio.

So what your purchasing sounds GTG, IMO!!

YOU are a wise man Shortz and a fine asset to TID!
Respects
Jim

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic