Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Upcoming powerlifting meet anxiety

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
So last night, I grabbed the singlet that I purchased last year but have yet to break a sweat in it....just tried it on for shits and giggles. I instantly had a wave of adrenaline come over me even though I'm about 11 weeks out.

Then I started to think about the friends and family that will be there to cheer me on and encourage me....expecting about 20 or so.

Will I fail?

Will I get redlights everywhere?

Will I break parallel?

Will I gas out before pulling?

How will my back hold up?

Will the wraps be tight enough?

Did I sleep enough?

How's my hydration?

Is this the halo talking?

I thought of making my Dad proud....tears started to pour down my cheeks but they were adrenaline filled, it's so weird to explain...never had that type of feeling. We've had some family struggles lately and my Dad is such an integral portion of my life but we haven't been close lately and that bothers me.

The thought of my veins popping of my arms and shoulders while holding 500+ in my hands with everyone yelling and smiling was a breathless wave of emotion.

I have to do this.
I won't give up
I WILL make everyone proud
I will not fail!!!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
You won't fail.

I like to mow the lawn in my singlet every now and then.

I worry more about the crowd seeing my extremely small penor through my singlet, then my lifts. I need to figure out a way to stuff it like an '80s rockstar w/o affecting my lifts.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I can relate to this up. When I signed up for my first meet, I felt the same feelings.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I can relate.

I am two weeks out and my left shoulder is ****ed. I can't even bench 135 without excruciating pain. My last two deadlift sessions sucked moose balls.

I was in the gym this morning training back and thinking "How the **** am I gonna make this happen in TWO ****ING WEEKS???"

It's a constant mind****.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
You won't fail.

I worry more about the crowd seeing my extremely small penor through my singlet, then my lifts. I need to figure out a way to stuff it like an '80s rockstar w/o affecting my lifts.

OK, this post made me LOL IRL and I am grumpy as hell today.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
OK, this post made me LOL IRL and I am grumpy as hell today.

Glad I could help. I'm happy as a clam today. The test must be starting to kick in.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
You won't fail.

Even though I'm more of a grower than a show-er, I'm more than comfortable with what I pack.

Mowing the lawn in the singlet was a fantastic visual though lol.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Hell yeah you're motivated - Get it!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
None of those things matter as much as making sure you get properly fluffed before benching...... THE TURKEY IS DONE!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
"This is the big disconnect between the "working out" crowd, and the "training" crowd. The training crowd knows that although a win may not be in the cards, there is always something you gain from a competition. Whether it is a big PR, some tips and tricks from more seasoned athletes regarding training or equipment, or even just expanding your local network of known lifters, you never know how a competition may benefit you. I promise you, whatever fear you may have about competing, whether it is justified or not, has probably been overcome by someone else before you."

Brandon Morrison - "Me vs. Myself: Why You Need To Compete"

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
"This is the big disconnect between the "working out" crowd, and the "training" crowd. The training crowd knows that although a win may not be in the cards, there is always something you gain from a competition. Whether it is a big PR, some tips and tricks from more seasoned athletes regarding training or equipment, or even just expanding your local network of known lifters, you never know how a competition may benefit you. I promise you, whatever fear you may have about competing, whether it is justified or not, has probably been overcome by someone else before you."

Brandon Morrison - "Me vs. Myself: Why You Need To Compete"

This is a great post! It helped me.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Man, your first meet is supposed to look like a xmas tree. I think it was Donnie Thompson that said he has never gone 9 for 9 in a meet. You will be in good company there.

One way to look at it is that if you go 9 for 9, you had a good meet. If you miss a few lifts, you didnt leave much on the table. Win-Win.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic