Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Bench strength challenges

J

Jacko0510

Jul 12, 2014
Hi guys hope someone can help. My bench is shit, I'm currently doing a max of 25 each side for about 4 reps. It has gone up a bit cos when I started a year ago I trained with 15. My shoulders and triceps are quiet strong. I've taken advice off here eg feet planted, arched back strong grip on the bar, straight wrists but it is definitely my weak point but my chest development isn't too bad. Any ideas

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Have you tried chains, partials, cycling rep schemes and poundages, etc?

What does your overall routine look like? Might you be overtraining, or at least overtraining certain bodyparts?

Many people will overwork the shoulders by doing too many pressing movements on too many days of the week, or training shoulders or tris the day before or day after doing chest, etc.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't get too obsessed with the bench press - particularly a 1 rep max - unless you're a powerlifter.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Tell us what a chest day looks like.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Show us what your weekly routine looks like and are you saying your benching 50lbs plus the bar for 4 reps or am I misreading that? Probably goes to form if your tri's and chest are even decently developed. make sure you're not flaring your elbows out when you bench, tuck them in and bring your tri's in to play

J

Jacko0510

Jul 12, 2014
Thanks lads, a typical chest routine would start with 5 sets flat bench then same incline dumbell then flat flyes. Sometimes change flat bench with incline then do flat dumbells. Only do chest once a week. In fact the max ill do is everything once a week cos I can only train a max of 3 times a week

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Jack, I think the guys meant what does your weight and number of reps and sets look like. For an example:

bar x 5 reps

bar x 5 reps

55lbs x 2 reps

65lbs x 2 reps

95lbs x 4 reps

That type of layout.

I think you might want to give 5/3/1 a try. Its a nice easy progression program.

I ran it last year for about 4 months and noticed a difference.

I just started running it again. I missed running it.

Last edited:
J

Jacko0510

Jul 12, 2014
Show us what your weekly routine looks like and are you saying your benching 50lbs plus the bar for 4 reps or am I misreading that? Probably goes to form if your tri's and chest are even decently developed. make sure you're not flaring your elbows out when you bench, tuck them in and bring your tri's in to play

Ok thanks for that. No a 20 kg plate plus a 5 each side and the bar

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
5-3-1 I think would be for a more advanced lifter where the gains dont come as easy, with that weight range I think a 5x5 would give faster gains... Is that 25kg or 25lb plates?

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
lets back up to the beginning here... what are your stats? 95lbs may not bee too bad if your 14 and weight 110lbs

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
5-3-1 I think would be for a more advanced lifter where the gains dont come as easy, with that weight range I think a 5x5 would give faster gains... Is that 25kg or 25lb plates?

Thanks Gstack. Where is there a good template of the 5X5?

J

Jacko0510

Jul 12, 2014
lets back up to the beginning here... what are your stats? 95lbs may not bee too bad if your 14 and weight 110lbs

Defo not. I'm 6ft 3 and 96kg. I seem to be able to do more incline on the smith (I know the bar is lighter) eg I've done 2 plates for 2 reps. Would that indicate my triceps need more work. ( btw I can't do dips unless I use a dip/chin assist machine)
Ps not clutching at straws but I train with a 20kg plate and a 5 kg plate each side so isn't that 140lb (assuming the bar is 30) thanks or your help mate. Really need it

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic