Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Follow-up Squat PR. First time maxing in over 20 years.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I just wanted to see where I was because frankly, I really had no clue. I have not pushed myself because of a hip injury I suffered a while back with still bothers me. I have had to adapt to squatting fairly close to be able to do it without pain. I have gotten to where I am decently strong squatting like this, but had no clue where I really was.

I just got tired of have to say "I know my squat is somewhere over 500". I have never gone over 500.

I decided to change that today after a good showing on deads last week. (625 single)

Here is my critique and observations.

I can tell you this....I waste way too much effort on walking out. 495 felt really light and not a problem and I took a long walkout but it did not hurt me.

When I jumped to 525, I struggled to get my feet right and you can see I look shaky. The lift felt good, but the walkout sucked.

For the last one, I moved the stands further apart so I did not have to walkout so far. This helped a lot, but I still did not feel that comfortable with setting up my feet with that weight on there. I could not get my feet where I wanted them, but was getting tired, so I just sat back and squatted it before I wore myself out. I did not go as deep as I did on 525...but watching the vid, it looked decent.

Jumping up 45lbs is a big jump (just the feeling on my back). I have singled 500 plenty of times and am accustomed to how it feels. 545 just felt plain heavy on me, but I was not scared of it dropping down.

Nice to have a good deal of confidence in one's back. After the decent deads last week, I just wanted to go in today and see what my legs would push.

I stopped at 545 (although I think there is more in the tank) If I plan on squatting heavy, I need to get more accustomed to having over 500 lbs on my back and walking out. Amazing how much heavier 545 feels vs 495.

At least now I know where I am....and dont have to guess ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Damn Mac I love it. The 545 was a bit high but really didn't look like it was by much. One thing that might help is when you walk it out, other than taking two quick steps, as you stand there getting your thoughts together and getting your air, lock your knees. It saves on energy from holding it with the muscles.

So you have a huge bench, a massive deadlift and a big friggin squat. Plus you're jacked, tanned and lean as hell. Did I miss anything?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Jeezus atta boy!!!

Damn brother, you are strong as fuk!

Thanks guys!

Damn Mac I love it. The 545 was a bit high but really didn't look like it was by much. One thing that might help is when you walk it out, other than taking two quick steps, as you stand there getting your thoughts together and getting your air, lock your knees. It saves on energy from holding it with the muscles.

Yea....the walkout felt rough. That is the most weight I have ever put on my back. (by 45lbs). So the jump felt really big to me. It was FAR from comfortable or tight and controlled. I have my work cut out for me for sure, but at least I know what range I am in. I am tired of not knowing when asked where my squat it. People think you are coping out by not squatting, but working around my hip was tough for a while. I have found staying closer in stance allows me to do it without issue. I was afraid to go over 500 though as I was scared I would re-injure it.

That did not happen, and I dont have any after pains, so I think I am good to go!

So you have a huge bench, a massive deadlift and a big friggin squat. Plus you're jacked, tanned and lean as hell. Did I miss anything?

Well.....I did sleep at a holiday in express last night too! ;)

Funny, I feel lost more then ever in my training these days. I am torn between trying to push weight and the opposite of just lift and feel good. I waffle back and fourth all the time worse then a woman who cant decide what to wear for the night ;)

Some day, maybe I will figure out where I fit in..... I am happy though....and having fun. Guess that is what matters....right?

Thanks for continued support man!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks guys!

Yea....the walkout felt rough. That is the most weight I have ever put on my back. (by 45lbs). So the jump felt really big to me. It was FAR from comfortable or tight and controlled. I have my work cut out for me for sure, but at least I know what range I am in. I am tired of not knowing when asked where my squat it. People think you are coping out by not squatting, but working around my hip was tough for a while. I have found staying closer in stance allows me to do it without issue. I was afraid to go over 500 though as I was scared I would re-injure it.

That did not happen, and I dont have any after pains, so I think I am good to go!

Well.....I did sleep at a holiday in express last night too! ;)

Funny, I feel lost more then ever in my training these days. I am torn between trying to push weight and the opposite of just lift and feel good. I waffle back and fourth all the time worse then a woman who cant decide what to wear for the night ;)

Some day, maybe I will figure out where I fit in..... I am happy though....and having fun. Guess that is what matters....right?

Thanks for continued support man!

I actually have a program that I use in the off season (meaning outside of the 12 weak peaking cycle). It is 3 days per week. Squat Monday bench Wednesday and deads on friday. But with a lot of accessory work. It's not all heavy all the time. Once every three weeks on each lift for example you will do 15 doubles with 60% of your 1RM. Short rests and monster pumps. Some weeks are repetition. Sets of 8 or 10. Some are just moderately heavy with sets of 3 or 5. The percentages rotate each week. Like this:

Week 1 squat 60% bench 70% dead 80%
week 2 squat 70% bench 80% dead 60%
Week 3 squat 80% bench 60% dead 70%

That's one wave. Next wave is the same but you bump the percents by 5%

Then wave 3 bump another 5%

Wave 4 is optional and you test 1rm that week then go back to wave 1 with the new pr's.

Accessory work is whatever you want/need.

Shoot me your email if you wanna check it out and try it.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You know I love you bro but those squats were way shallow.

Way? I respect your ATG squat style for sure. I just dont have the hip mobility to go down as low as you (even with 135 on the bar). Even my lowest squat just breaks parallel.

My vid guy did not do a good job of side shooting, but here is a cap of the 525
The crease of my hip is about where the top stripe (of the group of three main ones)
It is hard with the perspective, but I am fairly certain this is past parallel. I have sat on enough boxes to know where parallel (legal) is for me.

Capture_zpsc29671b5.jpg

Here is a cap of the 545

Slightly diff angle. Looks close to parallel, maybe just above. Higher then the 525, yes. (look at the top stripe again. That is where my hip crease lies in those shorts)
I dont think it is "way" high though.

Capture2_zps23d06146.jpg

Next time I will wear a singlet so it is easier for you to see;)
Regardless, 45lbs is a big jump to make and I was definitely far from comfortable in it.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You do fumble a lot with your feet. Like POB said it should be 2-3 steps total and than squat. Have you ever brought your hands in? That will help tighten everything and keep you less shaky.

Flex... you don't get extra points for burying a squat. Now it needs to be at depth but anything below that is not necessary. Hip crease below the top of the knee.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Dude you are too easy sometimes man. :D

And BI, point taken.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
@ POB

I'll hit you up sometime. I would love to take a look at it for sure!

You do fumble a lot with your feet. Like POB said it should be 2-3 steps total and than squat. Have you ever brought your hands in? That will help tighten everything and keep you less shaky.

My walkout was so far because I put the racks in too close together. That brings me to the hands thing. My shoulder/wrist flexibility is terrible. I need to put a some effort into getting better flexibility and ROM. I have tired in the past, but did not like the strain on my shoulders in the process. My shoulders suck pretty bad. It is a wonder I can even bench heavy...and even that, I have to do very carefully.

I wish I could get closer in and 'tight' with my setup. That would allow me to do a lot of things....as well as improve my walkout.

I think a lot had to do with I have never felt that much weight on my back (ever). That was a pretty big jump to make in one day. (never going over 500 in the past). If you look at the 495, you see I am very comfortable walking it out (although I took a lot more steps then I needed). Just the extra 30lbs to 525 felt like an extra 100 and I was very unsure and unsteady walking back. 545 was even harder.

I think I need some time under the bar getting used to heavier weights if I am going to try to go that heavy more regularly. I am not really sure I will, but I know I can if I decide to.

Dude you are too easy sometimes man. :D

And BI, point taken.

Ha Flex! Nice one man. I am always jealous of your natural ability to bury squats in the hole. You make it look so comfortable down there!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic