Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

6 pack at 40

C

chrismkelly

Jul 19, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new to this board. I am 39 yrs old and have decided to get back into shape before I turn 40 in April. I am 5'10" and 215lbs. My goal is to be ripped on my 40th bday so I have 8 months. I know I need to lift and burn more calories than I eat. My question is do I need supplements and if so what do you recommend? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Good question. If u want to see your abs the King is clean eating. High healthy protein healthy fats like Olive oil pecans walnuts cashews etc... And in my case minimal carbs meaning green veggies like asparagus green beans and brocholi
I've used some helper supps but I could do it just on a strict diet.
Start now and ease into it. It's a way of life.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
No. You don't need any at all. A multi is a good idea but never a replacement for a solid diet.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
I'll tell you this now, if it was easy everyone would do it. It's not easy, it's hard. If it's really what you want make sure your dedicated and learn as much as you can as quick as you can, especially about food. It took me nearly a year to learn how to eat properly and about 2 years to find what works best for me training/diet wise

C

chrismkelly

Jul 19, 2014
Any diet advice. I figured I need at least 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. What about carbs?? As little as possible or a certain % ?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Good question. If u want to see your abs the King is clean eating. High healthy protein healthy fats like Olive oil pecans walnuts cashews etc... And in my case minimal carbs meaning green veggies like asparagus green beans and brocholi

This is a huge myth that I wish would just die. Start adding olive oil, pecans, walnuts and cashews and start watching the scale go UP instead of down. Those are loaded with calories, and not to mention, all but the walnuts have a horrible omega profile. They are rich in omega 6, which is very high in our modern diets, and in the amounts we already get, more iwill exacerbate an inflammatory response in the body.

The key to losing weight is utilizing a reduced calorie diet as the most basic principle. "Clean eating" really has the least to do with it.

I can get in to it more, but I just posted in two threads over the last week and made long replies that can help you get started.

basskiller

Friends Remembered
Sep 12, 2010
really Shortz??? I would think eating clean, reducing your caloric intake while focusing on ab related movements (added to your training routine ) would be key

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
This is a huge myth that I wish would just die. Start adding olive oil, pecans, walnuts and cashews and start watching the scale go UP instead of down. Those are loaded with calories, and not to mention, all but the walnuts have a horrible omega profile. They are rich in omega 6, which is very high in our modern diets, and in the amounts we already get, more iwill exacerbate an inflammatory response in the body.

The key to losing weight is utilizing a reduced calorie diet as the most basic principle. "Clean eating" really has the least to do with it.

I can get in to it more, but I just posted in two threads over the last week and made long replies that can help you get started.

Fine post Shortz. Incidentally "clean eating" generally implies the avoidance of pre-packaged or canned or pre-made meals. The bottom line you only eat what you cooked. That's the best means of knowing what your eating and it's food group caloric proportion. Moreover people generally eat less when they cook their meals "from scratch".

Become involved in core fitness aerobic classes, and maintain a healthy diet. Incidentally unless your cycling AAS the consumption of more than 1.0 gm/kg /day of protein is of limited benefit, IMO.

Regards
Jim

Last edited:
D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
really Shortz??? I would think eating clean, reducing your caloric intake while focusing on ab related movements (added to your training routine ) would be key

Loading up on calorie dense foods such as nuts and oils will generally increase caloric intake not reduce it and eating clean has nothing to do with dropping body fat. It works often times bc it normally reduces a persons caloric intake but it's just as possible to get a 6pack and eat fast food daily.

C

Cindij

Jul 9, 2014
I'm 44 yrs old & in a wheelchair. I just started back into the world of bodybuilding back in 2010 weighing in at 210lbs before my injury & THANKFULLY muscles have outstanding memory. If you stick to healthy eating habits & a regular exercise regimen, you should have no problem seeing good results. BUT in ALL actuality - it takes A LOT of hard work and dedication. Cardio is a number one MUST in helping you to lose the excess body fat that you have obtained throughout the past years, ALONG with weight training too. The MORE MUSCLE you have on your body - the less fat it is capable of retaining (holding onto).

Abs are NOT made in the gym (much less through simple abdominal exercises, like those "so called exercise videos claim on tv.) Abs are made in the kitchen, as well as the the hard work and effort you put forth in the gym. You need to eat properly & work your ass off!!! Supplements are up to you. I myself have personally never have used them (due to the fact, I have Multiple Sclerosis).- *correction* I eat protein powders/bars. BUT NEVER use the the use of a so called "magic weight loss pill" or "mass/muscle building pill". (this is NOT to say that ALL supplements are BAD, there are MANY out there out on the market that work wonders for many. Just do your homework first BEFORE trying any supplement.)

BUT I personally have chosen NOT to use any form of any kind of supplement other than protein powders/bars. And I have personally gone on to win several regional and National Titles as well.

You just keep up the hard work. Never stop, no matter what anyone, tries to tell you, or how your body feels.(I should put a disclaimer along with that statement: YOU should LISTEN to your body! Working out in the beginning is going to be tough, hard work. I'm NOT going to blow smoke up your rear-end. But you're going to be in pain ) BUT LISTEN to what your body says: if it's just the minor "aches & pains associated with a beginners workout- DON'T QUIT! On the other hand, if you feel that there's something REALLY wrong (shortness of breath, chest pains, double vision, loss of consciousness) you are in need of IMMEDIATE MEDICAL attention!!! 911 should be alerted to your condition & a member of the staff should (or even a member of the gym with medical training) should then start to write down your vital signs & keep record of them, as well as a a defibrillator on hand (if necessary), just as a precaution, And let all of these things be known to the EMT's once they have arrived. Your health and safety ALWAYS comes FIRST!

BUT back to what I was saying- It's hard work, as well as (as well as the "normal aches & pains) in the beginning. And as the person above afore-mentioned comment said: "If it was easy, then EVERYONE would be capable of doing it."
Keep your diet extremely clean, with healthy carbs such as: carbless carbs. Use common sense when adding in complex carbs for muscle building: such as oats, nuts, 100% whole grain wheat bread, Ezekiel bread, etc. STAY AWAY from ANYTHING WHITE*with the exception of egg whites!!!!* (etal. White breads, etc.) Because they are known as the "kiss of death, & can keep a layer of H2o under the subcutaneous layer of skin, which in turn can lead you to look "puffy". As well as keep that extra added water weight that you are looking to shed at this point. In time to help make those a abs will "POP" out! (granted, if you stick to your exercise & healthy eating regimen,).

Keep yourself surrounded by people that will help you to maintain your goals. The "party animals" that would rather go out drinking & stuffing their faces every Friday & Saturday night while YOU should be in the gym... MAKE SURE you have a group of friends that will encourage you to HELP keep you on track. ALWAYS, ALWAYS REMEMBER - the first few weeks are the toughest that you will endure. Once you make it past those - you're on your way. Keeping up on your diet will be your NEXT hurdle & THAT'S where you need to learn AS MUCH as you can regarding ways to keep it "spiced UP"! Whether it be thru a tasty protein shake , a great egg white omelet each morning & spice up your oatmeal with something tasty (rather than your usual standby sugars, honey or syrups.) Learn also new & exciting ways to make GREAT & tasty treats that YOU & your family can enjoy as well. (Like tasty protein pancakes )

Good luck to you upon your journey. PLEASE - DO NOT get discouraged! Keep your head held high & keep telling yourself "I can DO THIS !" There simply no such thing as the words: 'NO FAILURE", "NO REGRETS", "NO EXCUSES".

If a 44yr old woman in a wheelchair can pull it off, then I am positive: SO CAN YOU!

Best of luck to you and your endeavour. Stay positive & MOST of all, STAY STRONG!

C

chrismkelly

Jul 19, 2014
Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it. I guess my biggest concern is how to lose the weight yet add muscle at the same time.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

Look at my avatar. I owe it all to Shaun T! Hip Hop abs was the best thing I ever found in developing a ripped midsection!

hiphop.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic