Latest Member
pbtom

Bench Shirts for Women/Overall education

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Good morning friends…
I hope you all are training smart, taking names, and kicking ass.

The meet in which I am participating 6 Sept is a WABDL meet---I would love all 3 lifts but to stay local and get in a meet this is my option. That being said, a few things:

1. I need to be educated outside of these powerliftingwatch.com and actual manufacturer websites regarding bench shirt material, fit, sleeves, collar, composition of front panel v back (i.e. spandex vs not).
2. Any feedback you may have from ladies using these shirts (boobs are, unfortunately NOT, an issue).

I realize that I will not be able to properly utilize the shirt for this meet as I have no one to assist with the on/off process, and it may alter my technique, which this close to meet I do not wish to do. Next meet 6 Dec I may consider if allowed.

Thanks in advance sincerely for your help, as always.
A

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I have only benched in a single ply shirt a few times. So I am no expert. But what I can offer are a few reasons why you might reconsider this:

Training in a shirt by yourself is dangerous. When you miss a lift it either comes at your face or dumps in your lap.

It takes a lot of repetitions to understand how the shirt works. Each one is different too.

You really need to get with a team and get a lot of work in lifting in gear. You can always tell at a meet who lifts with a team of knowledgeable people and who doesn't.

I don't think you have enough time to get into it.

Having said that it could be a really good challenge for you. So good luck :)

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks POB. I'm not sure if I'm still truly considering; I just had a long conversation with a friend of mine who's a state level recordholder, and he suggested with my raw bench PR being 185 – in the gym – I could really greatly improve any settings such as the WABDL with the shirt.

The limitations you bring up are all valid....I do believe these are more for folks with a partner (at least), and a hell of a lot more time and patience than I may have.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Personally, I wouldn't even try to bench, squat, or pull in gear without a knowledgeable team to train with. It's not safe at all. Gear is a totally different beast. I'm a raw lifter and haven't trained in gear but I many on the teams I've trained with have/do and I've seen what it entails.

I'd go for the raw meet and see if you could improve on your personal best.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
You have plenty of time to learn a shirt. In 6 months we brought up our drug free 198-er to the point where he is getting around 300 pounds out of his single ply Overkill and gunning for the all time record.

But - my team knows gear VERY well.... more basically - it's a team.

Not once, not ever would I recommend lifting in gear alone. I'd especially never recommend trying to learn gear alone.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks guys. I think it's off the table until I can see where and when is a plausible team for me. Cleveland and Pittsburgh are about 90m away, but no solid teams there. Columbus (yes, heaven) is 3h and I would LOVE but just won't work with me traveling all week for work then again on weekends to train. Ian would flip.

So I continue my best solo, which is cool for now....until I go bat shit about not making progress and calling myself a failure. I know me. I'm dangerous.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Spoke to Stevey P today, he agrees no shirt (and advised me to not drop a weight class for my first meet) until I get my raw form perfect (have many things on which to work-hip/leg drive and whole body engagement first....then get a team, then a shirt.

So we go on.....!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic