Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Actual keto meals

S

Steve Armstrong

Sep 16, 2010
Several times in the past two years I've considered the idea of switching to a keto diet to cut but always rejected it out of fear. Recently I've found out one of the reasons why I was afraid: I wouldn't really know what to eat on keto, not even what groceries to buy! You know, it's rice and chicken for the regular bodybuilder but in keto...
I've read here and there different recipes and what not, even found a couple of good diet outlines but I'm asking you, brothers: what does a keto bodybuilder actually eat?

I'm not asking what's your macro breakdown or what's the most delicious food you can eat; what I'm asking is I know you hace 2 or 3 stapple meals that you prepare all the time, what are they? what's your chicken and rice?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Beef. Grilled or crockpot. Grilled chicken over lettuce with bacon, sunflower seeds, cheese. I use canned green beans for a side.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Meat and cheese, then after that you eat more meat and cheese.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Chicken thighs with avocado

Bacon and eggs

Grilled sausage with roasted peppers

Ribeye steak with spinach sautéed in butter

Grilled shrimp with huge salad with full fat Caesar dressing

Whey isolate (carb free) with coffee and coconut oil

This isn't difficult. Take meat and put fat on it.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Take a cut of steak, any cut you like, and grill it. Then put it in the skillet with some butter and melt some sliced cheese of your choice on it.

I really like bacon with full fat cottage cheese also.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I have been on a ketogenic diet since January 1 and have lost 55 lbs and have not been hungry very often.

Here's what I eat most days. Bacon and eggs, chicken thigh, steak (or pork chop, or burger, or lamb chop) and green salad. If I need a snack, I have a slice or two of cheese or lunch meats. I have a whey protein shake post workout.

If you are doing a true ketogenic diet, you can't eat any vegetables, except green salad and a few toppings like radishes a slice of tomato, onions, peppers, etc. For dressing I have Italian. It is oil based and is not sweetened, therefore it is the perfect dressing for a ketogenic diet. It is best to avoid sweetened or cream based salad dressings.

Also, I disagree about slathering on butter (though it sounds delish, Turbo). If you are cutting while on keto, you have to count your Kcals and it won't take a lot of butter to add too many Kcalories so you are outside your target caloric intake.

Last edited:
DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
I have been on a ketogenic diet since January 1 and have lost 55 lbs and have not been hungry very often.

Here's what I eat most days. Bacon and eggs, chicken thigh, steak (or pork chop, or burger, or lamb chop) and green salad. If I need a snack, I have a slice or two of cheese or lunch meats. I have a whey protein shake post workout.

If you are doing a true ketogenic diet, you can't eat any vegetables, except green salad and a few toppings like radishes a slice of tomato, onions, peppers, etc. For dressing I have Italian. It is oil based and is not sweetened, therefore it is the perfect dressing for a ketogenic diet. It is best to avoid sweetened or cream based salad dressings.

Also, I disagree about slathering on butter (though it sounds delish, Turbo). If you are cutting while on keto, you have to count your Kcals and it won't take a lot of butter to add too many Kcalories so you are outside your target caloric intake.

Have you tried these?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...6&.crumb=QnAxqU/WWOX&fr=yfp-t-301&fr2=piv-web

They have no taste but it's like the illusion of getting to eat pasta and after days of meat and cheese they are pretty dam good.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Sorry Wood, I forgot to put that I was doing CBL, and it is not calorie restricted.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Y u no like Caesar dressing?

It's oil based, has egg yolk too! No dairy in it and most products off the shelf have zero carbs too. You can make it at home in about 2 minutes in a food processor.

And watch the deli meats for hidden sugars.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014

It's oil based, has egg yolk too! No dairy in it and most products off the shelf have zero carbs too. You can make it at home in about 2 minutes in a food processor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On spot PB and I've no doubt you've noticed anything labeled as "low fat" is best avoided since that fat is almost always replaced with simple sugars.

Speaking of which, I recently visited to a yogurt self serve shop and noted the "no or low fat" stuff had TWICE as many calories as the good stuff.......with fat!

I'm sure some noted Time magazine front page pic a few weeks ago and follow up article. The bottom line, both adults and kidos have GAINED WEIGHT ever since the onset of the "no or low fat" craze which began in the 1980s.

Yep again all that fat was replaced with something WORSE, an overabundance of rapidly absorbed and metabolized simple sugars which were promptly converted into FAT.

This craze also compelled many to reduce or eliminate their exercise, in part because of the "insulin crash" but also because many actually believed exercise was "no longer necessary" (at least to some extent) since they were eating "no-low fat healthy products"!

jim

Last edited:
woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012

Good points, bro. I do eat ceasar dressing occasionally. And I don't eat much deli meat. I hadn't thought about sugars in those, but definitely will now that you mention it. Thanks Pillar!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic