Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

sciatic nerve flare up?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Im pretty sure its my sciatic (sp) but it hurts like a bad glute shot, just off to left side of my tail bone. After sitting for awhile like driving the car, the pain flares up.. I have had this pain for a few years now and should probably go see a doctor. I did heavy squats and leg press yesterday and think i might of aggravated it.

Anyone have this problem?

How could squats and leg press trigger it?

How can i prevent flare ups?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I had back surgery when I was 19 years old for a ruptured disc. Since then, every once in a while, I will herniate a disc and it starts to flare up my sciatica again.

There are actually a few causes of sciatic nerve pain

1. Scar tissue
2. Ruptured/herniated disc
3. Muscle inflammation
4. Tumor etc (Let's not worry about that one quite yet)

There might be more rare things, but these are the most common. The end result is one thing; something pushing against the nerve and pinching it, preventing it from moving freely within the nerve "sleeve". How do we fix this? Well, first, we need to figure out where the issue stems from. See list above. Second, we need to decrease possible inflammation that may have been caused. Thirdly, we need to get that nerve moving freely again. So, treatment could be first, fixing the main issue, either through physical therapy, surgery, rest etc. THe inflammation decreases through rest, NSAIDS and/or steroids, and the the third, through stretching to get that nerve moving.

If you have chronic issues with it, it might be a good idea to see a doc, then continue doing the nerve stretches to help prevent it from getting back again.

Hope this helps. I have become a freakin book on this subject. After PT, surgery, rehab, prehab, physical therapy, I have been through it all.

I

imuscle

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2013
Shortz already made some great points. When my Sciatica flares up I 1. Use inversion table 2. See chiro for adjustment 3. You could jump up to the pull up bar and hang by your hands let your feet dangle to relieve the pressure. 4. Take a inflammatory. If its chronic get a MRI and see if you have a ruptured disc or Annular tear. Then the doc will probably first recommend a cortisone shot to see if that calms it down.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I get like that often, but it's my hip that goes out not my back, I am in love with my chiro!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I've had sciatica since I was 16 and through numerous doctors and chiropractors I have never once been recommended a cortisone shot for it. I have taken Naporsyn, Flexeril and Prednisone for it mostly when it gets so bad I can barley walk or can't walk.

I ice my back almost daily, whether it hurts or does not hurt, apply the ice right to the muscle. You could have tweaked the muscle which inflames it and pushed the nerve against the spine which causes the pain. If it's not muscular, then you will most likely need to see an MD or Chiro.
Ice and Advil or Aleve, I like red pepper cream as well, Capzasin works great!!

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Im pretty sure its my sciatic (sp) but it hurts like a bad glute shot, just off to left side of my tail bone. After sitting for awhile like driving the car, the pain flares up.. I have had this pain for a few years now and should probably go see a doctor. I did heavy squats and leg press yesterday and think i might of aggravated it.

I thought I had sciatic problems. Shooting pains down my leg, numbness in my butt and leg. My chiropractor diagnosed it as tight tendons and gave me stretches. The problem was resolved immediately and with basic stretches has not returned.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I've had sciatica since I was 16 and through numerous doctors and chiropractors I have never once been recommended a cortisone shot for it. I have taken Naporsyn, Flexeril and Prednisone for it mostly when it gets so bad I can barley walk or can't walk.

I ice my back almost daily, whether it hurts or does not hurt, apply the ice right to the muscle. You could have tweaked the muscle which inflames it and pushed the nerve against the spine which causes the pain. If it's not muscular, then you will most likely need to see an MD or Chiro.
Ice and Advil or Aleve, I like red pepper cream as well, Capzasin works great!!

i have been given a cortisone shot before we found the cause, and it did actually make a great difference!

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014

Good question R but something may be missing in your history.

Which is? How does one make the association that a particular "pain" that BB/Lifters are having is of a musculoskeletal (tendon, ligaments, bone, MUSCLE) origin or of NEUROGENIC (related to nerves) causation?

Generally the best answer is, neurogenic pain is associated with NUMBNESS or pain "that radiates" into different regions and causes "weird sensations" called dysesthesias.

Making this distinction is important because neurogenic pain is often the result of some form of a COMPRESSION caused by various MS derangements, some of which are optimally treated with surgical decompression.

I will also say "sciatica" has been used by commoners and physicians alike as a trash bag diagnosis for back pain "that doesn't make sense".

The Sciatic nerve is largest peripheral nerve in the human body and encompasses those nerve roots from L2-3 to S-1-2, which supply the perineal area and the lower extremity (but not the hams)

So when it's compressed or irritated symptoms generally involve structures about the gluteus, thigh and leg.

So R is your pain localized to the glute region OR is "numbness" also a feature? If the pain is localized the problem is most likely to be MUSCULAR ""pulled a muscle, tendon, ligament etc" and very unlikely to be sciatica. Did you try any different squat techniques two days ago. Like elevating the heels. toes angled way out or in, etc?

Regs
Jim

Last edited:
FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Very simple solution, have Turbo double up on the nightly massages....

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I thought I had sciatic problems. Shooting pains down my leg, numbness in my butt and leg. My chiropractor diagnosed it as tight tendons and gave me stretches. The problem was resolved immediately and with basic stretches has not returned.

=========================================================
Yep those features are entirely consistent with "sciatica" WW, possibly due to piriformis muscle spasm, because of it's brief duration.
:)
Jim

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
I have had the same problem for 20 years and when it flares up it's best to rest and use an anti inflammatory. Don't stretch or do anything that may put more pressure on the nerve. It will improve in 4 or 5 days if you take it easy. Mine is a herniated disc L4-L5.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic