Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Got milk?

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Gomad aka breathing squats or the 20 rep squat program..

Well Monday I was curious if I could rep 295 for 20, mistake one was thinking I could without following the recommended starting weight, mistake 2 was attempting to do it with a belt on..
after 11 reps I couldn't get in enough air with my belt on I was even tempted to reach down with one hand and unlatch it... Anyways I figured I'd wait till we'd and try again with 300 this time and no belt I failed at 14 and dumped the bar eh a lil tougher than I thought.. So tonight my plan was to go for 305 for 20 lol after some warming up idk if you would call it pussing out or being logical but I decided I'd go with 225lbs for 20 reps my body was feeling the previous work out...
so I did make the 225 for 20 and even though it was pretty tough it felt like a nice break from the previous workouts if anybody reads up on this or gives it a try it's a mental challenge and the breathing is known to quit you before the legs give out... I'll try and follow the program as it was designed I just wanted to play around with it real quick to see what it was about..

Friday
squats 225lbs 20x1
bench 235lbs 5x5
barbell rows 145lbs 5x5

next work out I'll be ditching that 5x5 stuff .... I did almost drink a gallon of milk yesterday and today I fell a lil short I'm not going to force that but I will make a effort to surplus my calories..
other than that it feels good to be back if anybody's been down this road before any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I love the 20 squat program. Did it a long time ago and made massive gains on it. I'll be following your journal bud.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I just read up on that on the internet and wow, that sounds fascinating. I don't have book that goes into depth on it, but I do have a couple of questions. Is there any warming up prior to doing the 20? Even though I am not, what of someone was lactose intolerant or just hated milk? I am quite curious to hear what gains you make over the six week period, assuming that is what you are doing.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
GOMAD is crazy. I know a lot of people get sick from that.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
GOMAD is crazy. I know a lot of people get sick from that.

Can you define sick? Is it just puking from the workout or actually becoming ill. Sorry if that is a stupid question.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Probably just the gastric distress from so much milk. Milk, especially whole milk is tough for most adults digestion.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I just read up on that on the internet and wow, that sounds fascinating. I don't have book that goes into depth on it, but I do have a couple of questions. Is there any warming up prior to doing the 20? Even though I am not, what of someone was lactose intolerant or just hated milk? I am quite curious to hear what gains you make over the six week period, assuming that is what you are doing.

For warm ups I'd imagine somthing like a empty bar for 10 then a wheel for 10 and maybe even somthing heavier than my working set for a double just so set doesn't feel so heavy I guess I should include my warm ups in the log..
as far as gains I'm not really sure what I'm after other than being able to rep a decent weight for 20
ive heard of folks having problems with all the milk also but other than keeping me bloated I haven't had any issues yet but it's way early deft easy to keep up with the calories a gallons 2500 honestly I'm fat right now so I may have to back off on all the milk .

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
When I first started lifting I was on a 4x20 rep routine. I hated it and nothing is more humbling than a 20 rep squat set.
What I got from 20 rep sets was some amazing endurance and conditioning.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Probably just the gastric distress from so much milk. Milk, especially whole milk is tough for most adults digestion.

Yup and many can't drink milk after b/c it still causes them a great deal of distress.

This is why you should only drink a pint or 2 a day. You can do that without issue.

Last edited:
monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Myself among them. Keep up the squats though!

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I'm so confused about what milk has to do with any of this?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic